Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pond frogs

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Pond frogs on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:58 pm

We love the frogs in our pond. And up until 4 weeks ago......
that meant our one big bullfrog named "Freddie Peepers" of course.

Well with all the extra rain we have gotten this summer, "Freddie" decided to go on "Walk-about"
He disappeared when our yard and the surrounding neighbors yards all had standing water somewhere in them.

He was gone and we were heart-broken as he had been in our pond for almost 2 years.
One evening we heard frogs calling from our pond and went out to investigate.....
Now we have at least 10 small frogs in our pond and they are sounding off on a nightly basis

We miss "Freddie", but having all these replacement frogs has really made me smile
especially hearing their evening serenade.

Our bulldog Chuck is also enjoying them as he likes to woof back at them as they croak and peep at him
I just wish I knew what they were saying to each other.

View user profile

2 Re: Pond frogs on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:19 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Oh that's too bad about Freddie moving on but happy to hear you have some new guys to serenade you. Now and then we have a frog croaking his little heart away out there but then it all stops. I wonder where they go? I think mine go to the neighbors across the road cuz he's got several different levels and pools to his pond where they can breed and raise families away from the big fish. One night I'm gonna try and sneak over there and steal a couple of his frogs and bring them home. That is if I can get by all his rigged up traps............scarecrow, electric wires, netting etc. I'll prolly end up wet, fried and frogless in the end
I think the frogs are saying: "Hello gorgeous. I'm a wonderfully virile male frog capable of helping lots of very fit tadpoles be born, and would be an excellent choice of a sexual partner. Come hither and we'll make beautiful music together after, if necessary, having the equivalent of a candle lit dinner at some posh restaurant or other."

In Mythology and Folklore it is a symbol for birth, death and rebirth...it's like saying, " rebirth, rebirth, rebirth"

Some say Rebate,rebate,rebate....or is that what hookers say when they lower their prices....or was that used car salesmen? ex[giggle]

zone 7
View user profile

3 Re: Pond frogs on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:59 pm

Lari

Minnow
Minnow
We haven't ever seen any frogs or toads even in or around our pond. So last weekend while we were at our friend's house in Illinois their daughter caught us a couple frogs and toads and about a dozen tadpoles to bring home.

I haven't seen any of them since releasing them in the bog at the end of our pond, but I did hear some peeping going on last night. ex[frog]

View user profile

4 Re: Pond frogs on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:07 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
Hey, don't be shocked, but I'm still around. Working some odd hours and days off. I still have not seen any of the frogs that I had at my pond from last year. I bought 15 bullfrog tad polls from S. Carolina that have since turned into frogs. Can't find a one. If they are still in or around my pond, they must gone into some kind of super stealth mode. Don't what else to say, but Happy Ponding.

ex[frog]

View user profile http://www.picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

5 Re: Pond frogs on Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:00 am

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Our back yard is surrounded by woods. We live in a wet area so anytime it rains we have hundreds of them singing away back behind the fence. I'll get my lump sum in September and finally start my pond. I was going to build an elevated deck with a three foot pond in the center, but thought, "Why buy all of that treated lumber?"

My friend across the road has a backhoe and will dig it for free, I can buils a smaller elevated one with the leftover liner.

6 Re: Pond frogs on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:58 am

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Bullfrog can you take pics of the progress of your pond. It's always fun to see the step by step building of a pond. Hey but I thought you guys were moving to Cozumel soon when you retire?

zone 7
View user profile

7 Re: Pond frogs on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:10 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Rich I guess they are really keeping you busy at your job eh? Seems as tho all of you working stiffs here have that problem but anyway it's good to see you here when you can pop in now and then ex[thumbup]

zone 7
View user profile

8 Re: Pond frogs on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:35 pm

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
We are putting in a pond regardless. We will pull the trailer down to Paamul and visit with John ans Debra for a month before we take the plunge. He and Debra have fisished the book which I retitled "Goldfish" and they loved seeing their name in print. You'll see why I named it Goldfish soon, we are almost done.

9 Re: Pond frogs on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:48 pm

rosebud

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
jw wrote:Oh that's too bad about Freddie moving on but happy to hear you have some new guys to serenade you. Now and then we have a frog croaking his little heart away out there but then it all stops. I wonder where they go? I think mine go to the neighbors across the road cuz he's got several different levels and pools to his pond where they can breed and raise families away from the big fish. One night I'm gonna try and sneak over there and steal a couple of his frogs and bring them home. That is if I can get by all his rigged up traps............scarecrow, electric wires, netting etc. I'll prolly end up wet, fried and frogless in the end
I think the frogs are saying: "Hello gorgeous. I'm a wonderfully virile male frog capable of helping lots of very fit tadpoles be born, and would be an excellent choice of a sexual partner. Come hither and we'll make beautiful music together after, if necessary, having the equivalent of a candle lit dinner at some posh restaurant or other."

In Mythology and Folklore it is a symbol for birth, death and rebirth...it's like saying, " rebirth, rebirth, rebirth"

Some say Rebate,rebate,rebate....or is that what hookers say when they lower their prices....or was that used car salesmen? ex[giggle]

JW, I love your sense of humor! You always give me a good laugh! Thanks!

View user profile

10 Re: Pond frogs on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:52 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Bullfrog,it seems strange to me that you will be visiting the couple called John and Debra in Paamul as I can't separate them from the book and will always think of them as action and adventure characters

zone 7
View user profile

11 Re: Pond frogs on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:56 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Oh gosh, gee whiz, thanks for the compliment Rosebud but sometimes I think I go one step beyond w/ my comments and hope I don't ever offend anyone out there in cyber land

zone 7
View user profile

12 Re: Pond frogs on Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:50 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Yes, JW, you need to watch it. I think you offended me once a long time ago. Wait. Maybe that was somebody else with the first initial of J. LOL.

I was surprised when Pete told me there was a nice sized frog in one of the half barrel pots. We were surprised it could jump that high. Well today, I saw two nice sized frogs in the small pond and a few minutes later one was in the pot so evidently it isn't hard for them to jump that high. Do you think they can smell water? How do they know there is water in those pots?

13 Re: Pond frogs on Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:16 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
Hey, I stand corrected. I spotted a frog about the size of my thumb at the edge of my pond from about thirty feet away. The moment it spotted me it jumped into the pond, and went under a lily pad. Not as friendly as the Cascadia Frogs I had last year.

Happy ponding?

ex[frog]

14 Re: Pond frogs on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:37 am

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
JW, Debra is really a hoot, she acts quiet at first but she and John really have a great sense of humor. Paamul is beautiful, a nice cove comes in right there with a barrier reef across it, you can get a boat past the end of it though.

15 Re: Pond frogs on Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:21 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
That's nice that you will have some good friends to hang w/ down there and it sounds so beautiful too. Maybe someday Bill and I will take a trip down there and we'll find you all living it up.

zone 7
View user profile

16 Re: Pond frogs on Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Mikey

Minnow
Minnow
We had a bullfrog for several years but I think the raccoons got him last fall. So I bought four frog tadpoles about a month ago, two tree frog tads and two bull frog tads. I hope they are still out in the pond but I have not seen nor heard hide nor hair from them.....

View user profile

17 Re: Pond frogs on Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:49 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
Just an up date on the tad polls from South Carolina. So far there are two small bull frogs that are now about the size of my thumb, and several more tad polls with some developing legs. They don't let me get to close to the pond before they go scurrying off across the lily pads and into the deep. The Local Northwest Cascadia frogs that I had last year would let me get within a couple of feet before they would casually jump into the water. I originally bought fifteen of the S.C. tad polls from a local pond supply called Hoshi Koi, and it looks like i only have about five left. Not sure if the food source in the pond was enough or what. We'll see what comes of it soon.

Happy ponding,

18 Re: Pond frogs on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:39 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I hope they stay at you pond and don't take the next bus back to S. Carolina. Maybe someone else has a bigger pond in you neighborhood and they took off looking for food Where do they go for the winter?

zone 7
View user profile

19 Re: Pond frogs on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:47 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
My wife Donna and I go for walks throughout the neighborhood, and The closest pond of any kind to use that we are aware of is about a half mile away. Not sure if ant frog would know to explore any further than outside our fence line. Good try JW. Any outside critters in your ponds?

20 Re: Pond frogs on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:40 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I only have dragon flies and little birds that take baths in my floating plant ring for the duck weed. I haven't heard any frogs since Spring. Like I said before............my neighbor is a frog hog ex[giggle]

zone 7
View user profile

21 Re: Pond frogs on Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:00 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
I'm just hoping my frogs will stick around this time around and come back next spring.

22 Re: Pond frogs on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:40 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
Well, the bull frogs have vanished for the winter. I haven't seen a sign of them for about a week now. I hope they found themselves a nice warm place to tuck themselves into for the long winters sleep.
ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog]

23 Re: Pond frogs on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:31 am

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I'm sure they have and I hope they find their way back to your pond next year............maybe they will start a new family in your pond or will your fish eat all the eggs Maybe you could make some kind of a safe place for the eggs but then how would the frogs know where it was? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I guess you will have to put a sign up in that spot

zone 7
View user profile

24 Re: Pond frogs on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:30 am

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
Trust me on that one. If I see any kind of eggs, they will be scooped up and put into a holding tank for safe keeping. Even if I have to turn them loose in another pond later.

ex[thumbup]

25 Re: Pond frogs on Mon May 16, 2011 9:06 am

jack45

Get thee to the front of the queue for the position of Queens Poet (note how I have clevely dodged the issue of realising I don`t know the correct spelling of Laureat). Or at least the queue for being Purple Ronnie.

Hammocks

View user profile http://www.simplyhammocks.co.uk/

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum