Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Loading up the Harley

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Loading up the Harley on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:37 am

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Well I loaded the Harley in the toy hauler for the first time yesterday. It is a “Low Rider” because I have very short legs. I washed and waxed it, then let the ramp down. If you have never done this, let me tell you, it is an experience. Having very short legs, for a moment when the front tire goes up on the ramp and the back tire is still on the ground, your feet leave the ground going up which feels very awkward and a little scary. The bike weighs over 650 pounds so if it falls to the side, hello broken leg.
The back tire made it up and I stopped for a moment to get my bearings. I applied the front break but the bike slid back down the ramp, repeat the process. This time I applied both breaks front and rear. The bike held, so I applied a little throttle rode up. The low hanging frame of the bike scraped against where the top of the ramp hits level floor and bottomed out. It would not go so I rolled back down. I made my mind up, “I bought a toy hauler and I’m hauling my toy.”
So I went to Walmart and bought a floor jack. I took a 2X4 that had carpet on it that I used to carry my kayaks on the bed of our truck, placed it on top of the floor jack and let the ramp/door down. I jacked it up until it made contact. I then rode the bike up on the ramp but the board was not evenly placed across the door, only one side was coming up. So I backed down and repositioned the board and jack. This time I tried it again but it wasn’t working so I rode up to where the frame was about to scrape and stopped. Now this is awkward because the ignition key is on the right side and I had to hold the front brake which is on the right handlebar. I applied the rear brake and it held so I killed the ignition. So, my right foot is holding the rear brake and I have to raise my left foot to get the kickstand down. I eased off the brake hoping the engine would hold it, which it did and then got the kickstand down. I got off and positioned the board directly under the rear wheel. It jacked up right this time but this is a real pain.
So this morning I’ll go and buy two 6X6 inch timbers. I’ll place them under the end of the ramp raising it a foot. I have aluminum ramps that I can use to ride up onto the back door/ramp decreasing the angle and hopefully it will work. I suppose this will get easier as I learn the best method but it was a little hairy the first time.

2 Re: Loading up the Harley on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:16 am

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
You'll figure it out, I am sure.

3 Re: Loading up the Harley on Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:06 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Like I said before in the other post............Have a nice trip.............see ya in the fall Oh that wasn't nice of me was it?

Be careful Bullfrog

zone 7
View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum