Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

North Carolina Bull Frogs

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 North Carolina Bull Frogs on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:33 am

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
Just an up date on the fifteen North Carolina tad poles that I bought last spring and put in my pond. Out of the 15 tad poles I have five bull frogs about as long as my thumb, and one tad pole still in the pond with legs. None of these bull frogs have ventured outside of the perimeter of my small pond. I can't help but to wonder if they are going to come back next spring.

ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog]

View user profile http://www.picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

2 Re: North Carolina Bull Frogs on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:30 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Well I sure hope so and you will have to take pictures of them if they do. Do they get real big eventually? We have had all these little green tree frogs all over our lawn this summer. I can't bear to mow the lawn so I mow slowly and when I see one I let it get out of the way before I continue on. They are pretty quick so I hope none got murdered

zone 7
View user profile

3 Re: North Carolina Bull Frogs on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
The middle of this last week we had some record high temps here in the Northwest. I went out to check the pond filter and watch the fish, and I noticed that three of my bull frogs were hanging out at the edge of my pond.

Then I removed the cover (fake rock), of the filter reservor, and there was a bull frog tad poll in the skimmer. It still has legs and part of the tail. Must be a slow developer. So I put it in one of my indoor holding tanks in the house. Hopefully it will continue to to grow, and eventually I will put it into a terrarium until spring.

ex[ghostdancing]

4 Re: North Carolina Bull Frogs on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:56 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Cool Rich, just don't let it get out of the terrarium. I had a bunch of tadpoles in my room when I was a kid and they somehow managed to escape from the tank...........either that or my mom made my dad sneak in there and let them all loose one day. She didn't appreciate creepy, crawly things like I did. Once I had a rat that I was able to keep for about a week and then I had to get rid of it before she died of squeamishness. It kept her out of my room tho

zone 7
View user profile

5 Re: North Carolina Bull Frogs on Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:47 am

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
We are blessed to be overrun with bullfrogs, if you build it, they will come.

6 Re: North Carolina Bull Frogs on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:39 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
I can't explain why, but that's not so here in Tacoma where I live.I have to go catch them and bring them home to my pond.

7 Re: North Carolina Bull Frogs on Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:03 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Maybe it's our climate and not enough bugs. Texas has lots of bugs doesn't it? Guess you need to have a nice big pile of stinking cow poop right next to your pond Rich so it will attract flies ex[whistle]

zone 7
View user profile

8 Re: North Carolina Bull Frogs on Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:50 pm

bullfrog wrote:We are blessed to be overrun with bullfrogs, if you build it, they will come.
Thats what happened to us too...............Pond went in and the frogs moved in about a week later.
For the first year we had one BIG resident bullfrog, He even tried to catch and eat birds if they got too close to his rock.
Suddenly he vanished, and about 2 weeks later we started to see other bullfrogs move in and now we have over a dozen residents in our pond, none of which are even close to the size of the original frog

View user profile

9 Re: North Carolina Bull Frogs on Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:25 am

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I haven't been there in the evening yet, but Rex said the frogs sing loud all night, "Then Big Daddy starts chiming in." Right across from the river there has to be millions of them. We have a wooded lot on one side with welded wire fence, so once my pond goes in they will move in. They get huge here, about the size of a man's shoe.

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
After all of this wacky weather. today, the outside temp was 58 degrees F. I happened to be standing next to my pond when I noticed a frog dashing for cover between two potted plants on the shelf in the pond. The pond temp just happened to be 52 degreesF. It must be warm enough for them to come out & play. Iwould have thought that the frogs wouldn't be out until spring.

11 Re: North Carolina Bull Frogs on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:47 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Hey Rich, wouldn't it be nice if Spring sprung early now? My fish are swimming joyfully around my pond looking up at me for food but I will not fall for this tricky weather of ours. It could fall down to -6 in a couple weeks.........who knows
ex[brrrrr] ex[rainex[brrrrr] ex[rain

zone 7
View user profile

12 Re: North Carolina Bull Frogs on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:46 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
JW, I'm with you on that. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop when it comes to this wacky weather here in the Northwest.

13 Re: North Carolina Bull Frogs on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:57 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
I went out into the back yard with a flashlight last night to check my ponds inhabitants, and I spotted three of the North Carolina bull frogs dodling around in the pond at one edge. I am assuming that they may just be around next spring. The Cascadia frogs that I brought in two summers ago never did show up last summer. I'm looking forward to seeing these bull frogs hang'en around for awhile. ex[frog]

14 Re: North Carolina Bull Frogs on Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:31 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
That's cool that they are still there. Come this Spring you will get a nice serenade every evening

zone 7
View user profile

15 Re: North Carolina Bull Frogs on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
I hope so. I love the sound of nature.

16 Re: North Carolina Bull Frogs on Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:02 pm

Good for you Rich
Frogs around here are still deep in their hibernation as there is still a couple inches of ice on our pond. ex[brrrrr]

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum