Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Getting ready for our worst winter in fifty years.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
It took a couple of weeks of puttering around the pond, but I managed to get it ready for winter. I emptied a thirty gallon container (tub) that I was using to harvest JW's duck weed that she sent me. As I drained the water through a net I found five half inch baby shubunkin's that are just starting to show their color, and two baby mosquito fish. I remember moving some frog bit in July from the pond to the tub, and I must have transfered the eggs & babies in the plants. I have to admit, at first I couldn't imagine how they could have got there.

ex[worm]

View user profile http://www.picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Oh my,congrats on your new little ones and getting your pond ready for winter while it's still pleasant weather. I moved my bathtub fish to the big pond for winter. I thought they'd be happier in there all winter than in that dinky tub. Do you keep your frog bit all year in your pond?

zone 7
View user profile

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
I'll end up saving some indoors in an aquarium. That's what I had to do the couple of years to keep it alive. The first freeze will kill off the frog bit.

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Do you just use any light on your aquarium or does it have to be a plant light? I just have a regular fluorescent bulb in mine but it's in a south facing room and the window straight across the way gets lots of light. I wonder if it would survive in there all winter

zone 7
View user profile

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
This year I'm using a 20 gallon aquarium with a fl. grow light. That's what i did in the past, and it worked just fine.

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Cool enough clapping

zone 7
View user profile

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
Like the last two years, I installed the submersible aquarium heater in line to the water pump. The last two winters this heater kept my entire pond the same temp. The temps do vary from day to night. My pond is only 365 gallons, and even on those nights when the temps drop down into the teens, the water didn't freeze. The only problem I have with heating my is evaporation. I'll do like I did the last two winters. I'll keep a five gallon bucket of water in the house to add water to my pond as needed.

Today, I installed a digital thermometer so I can check the temp of the pond water at a glance.

My hope is that this worst winter in 50 years isn't as bad as they say it will be.

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Boy Rich all the weather guys and gals are all sure saying we are gonna get hit bad this winter. Course they have been wrong before but I've never heard them all push it at us so hard before ex[snow] ex[brrrrr]
I do enjoy a nice snowfall but when it comes all in one night............I mean a few feet, that is just too much to bear. That winter before last I was out each morning with a broom trying to save the trees from breaking apart w/ all the heavy snow. I won the battle that year but not looking forward to another one. If it would just come in a few inches at a time that would be nice.

zone 7
View user profile

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
I couldn't agree with you more. During the second world war all of both sides of my family moved Aberdeen, SD to the Tacoma, WA area for work. They liked the idea of not having to plow through three & four feet of snow all winter that they all stayed. I don't know how much snow you get up in Arlington, but we get very little here. Usually if we do, it's usually gone by noon.

ex[snow] ex[brrrrr]

I miss summer already.

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I think we all miss summer so much this year cuz WE ALL GOT JIPPED this year here in Washington. We don't usually get much snow up here except when we have one of those whamo blasts like we had the year before last and every once in awhile. Didn't you get lots of snow that year? I think its fun when we get tons of snow except for the smashing down of the tree part. When Bill and I went for a walk in the snow that year there was so much snow on the giant Doug firs that you had to be careful not to walk under them cuz there would be dead silence and then all of a sudden a huge limb would come crashing down. It was really eerie

zone 7
View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum