Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

I found a new church home and family

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I found a new church home and family Empty I found a new church home and family Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:28 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

When I got on the local radio program called "Swap Shop" announcing "Back in the Saddle" a woman called in donating 6 horses to ride. She told me about a church in Kirbyville called "The Three Crosses Cowboy Church." She said they don't have a building yet so they all ride their horses to a local pasture and have the service there. ex[brrrrr]

I started in Spurger at the big First Baptist Church. I was introduced to the head of the deacons who listened to my plea to talk about "Back in the Saddle" to the congregation. He didn't seem to warm to the idea at all and regarded me with a jaded eye for some reason. He said he would present it to the other deacons and assistant pastor and for me to call him back.

So I needed cement and went to Kirbyville, that's when I remembered the Cowboy church. I saw a flier on the window announcing the rodeo that they put on and was writing down the number when a girl who works there said they meet right down the road at 10:30. It was 10:15 when I got my ticket to pick up my supplies around back. I pulled back there and a truck was in the bay where the cement was, I looked at my watch... ten minutes to go before the service so I left for the church.

They hold it now at an old auction barn. I got there and saw a crowd of people wearing jeans and cowboys hats standing outside. I parked and asked a girl who the preacher was, "My daddy, right here." she introduced me to Scott. He was wearing jeans, boots, a work coat and a cowboy hat. He listened to my story about want to talk to the congregation about my program, he smiled and said, "How about today?" I got a cup of coffee and mingled with the crowd standing in the cold. I saw old cowboy boots with mud and manure on them, overalls and flannel shirts but a lot of smiles.

A bell like a cow bell rang and we moved into the auction barn. There are rows of old, worn seats going up where people sit and bid on the livestock. The rails where the livestock is led out for bid is a small pen in the front of the barn. The band was set up behind the rails. A stand up bass, a slide guitar, an electric guitar, an acoustical, a banjo and several women who sang. The music was good with a down home, country twang to it. The lead singer dropped his pick and said "I won't be putting this back in my mouth." The crowd laughed, it is a very casual group to put it mildly.

When the music ended Scott, the minister introduced me right off the bat and I went up front, took the mike and made my plea. Scott delivered a really good, spirit filled sermon. I looked down as a movement caught my eye, a dog had wandered in and looked at the preacher for a few minutes, then walked back out. He returned a few times. When it was all over, people began to sign my roster. I told them I had never seen a dog in church before. They said that last week, a chicken was clucking in the seats, looking for a place to lay an egg and the week before that a rooster sat in the seats watching the whole sermon. These are country people and they don't mind, they said a cow will moo right behind the wall and everyone will say "amen!"

I got eight volunteers, three wagons with mules to pull them and a lot of new friends as well as a new church home. I invited the kids next Sunday, they have to experience this. We have a building with central air and heat, just need the money for the land which is coming. I'm glad that I joined now because it will lose the rustic charm of chickens, dogs and roosters in the congregation once we move in, but it is a great group of people.

2I found a new church home and family Empty Re: I found a new church home and family Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:17 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

I always said that considering the life that I've led, I should have been dead a long time ago. That there was some purpose that God had for me that I had not fulfilled yet and once I do, then I'll die. Well it seems that I have found my purpose. Three wagons with mules to pull them, that is a great addition to the effort. I called the local news station yesterday about doing a story, they said to email them and it seems like a good story for them.

3I found a new church home and family Empty Re: I found a new church home and family Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:56 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

No, thank God, the mules will stay with their owner, he will just make them available to use when we ride. He is an old man, very skinny and he said, "I have the same harnesses that I have been using for 40 years. Channel 12, a local TV station out of Beaumont will be here today and your own lovable Bullfrog will be on TV with Gunny announcing the program. They have news at noon and again at 6:00PM and 10:00 PM.

If the video feed is available online, I'll put a link here tomorrow. As long as they don't do a profile, as my nose is so large I look like a Mako shark, but at least my heart is in the right place.

I told my financial planner about the changes in my life and the trailer thing. She said that I need to pray over the trailer and ask God to put who he wants in there. so for the past two days, I have knelt by the handrail, put my hand on it and asked God to lead who HE wants in there. I'm sure it will work, people are just slow to pick up on God's messages as in my case, it took 55 years for me to realize my purpose. I hope the trailer rents before then though, as I doubt that I have 55 years left.

4I found a new church home and family Empty Re: I found a new church home and family Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:30 pm

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

http://www.marykay.com/andismith/default.aspx

5I found a new church home and family Empty Re: I found a new church home and family Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:37 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

Thanks Andi, I was forced to go with Wild Blue internet providers and they have a bandwidth restriction which I have already butted up against twice. Streaming video eats up a lot of bandwidth, but if you go back to the link and look at the banner along the top you will see "videos" you can then click on "Back in the saddle" and see my ugly mug. Scott, our minister was also interviewed. He called after the news and was very excited, he said that two people had already called him telling him they had seen him on TV.

The edited it very heavily, Scott said the best thing and it didn't make it to tape because he stammered too long. But, he said "Actually, we are dealing with two forgottens, the rescue horses were forgotten, as are some our veterans are forgotten considering the sacrifice that they made for our freedom."

All in all, it worked out well, the news lady loved the horses, especially Gunny and fed Honey carrots and apple wafers. Her lips are so sensitive, she can pick a single piece of grain out of the grass, she doesn't bite and it kind of tickles. Today, I'll contact the local newspaper, they can put so much more there and convey what we need more clearly.

6I found a new church home and family Empty Re: I found a new church home and family Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Mikey

Mikey
Minnow
Minnow

That was a good interview Bullfrog. You have a great speaking voice.

7I found a new church home and family Empty Re: I found a new church home and family Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:18 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

Thanks Mikey, I'm actually getting pretty relaxed on camera now. I was the spokesman for the volunteer fire department that I was on and the news came to me for the details. This project is easy for me to discuss because I believe in it.

We got good tenants yesterday, the guy is a minister in my son's motorcycle ministry and loves to fish to boot! they will be moving in December 3rd so we will finally get a break from the bills. Now I have to get back to work on that place.

8I found a new church home and family Empty Re: I found a new church home and family Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:45 pm

Mikey

Mikey
Minnow
Minnow

The December 3rd must be a typo.

9I found a new church home and family Empty Re: I found a new church home and family Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:51 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

Yeah Mikey, January 3rd. December 3rd when when that flake showed up with no money. Today is Sunday and I'll be at the Cowboy Church, I'm really looking forward to it. I just wish that Vicki would go with me. I'll ask for a prayer request for it, I hear her talking about it on the phone and she knows it is laid back.

All we really need now is the lift to get people out of the chair and onto the horse. I'm going to call some machine shops tomorrow, I have the design and it shouldn't cost much, just some drill stem, square tubing and a hand winch. I know how to weld, just need a little machine work done. If I had a lathe I could make that as well as I used to be a machinist. Talking a machine shop into letting me use their lathe would not work because of the liability, but considering the cause, maybe I'll find one, I'm a pretty good salesman.

There's a group on my kayak spot called "Heroes on the Water." They put disabled vets in kayaks to fish so I'll line that up this morning to get a list going. The work never stops but life just keeps getting better.

10I found a new church home and family Empty Re: I found a new church home and family Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:09 pm

Mikey

Mikey
Minnow
Minnow

...she knows it is laid back.
We have attended several different churches over the years. I used to attend a Baptist church that was pretty formal and I would get all gussied up in my Sunday best; suit, tie etc. We then moved and we attended a nearby Calvary Chapel, a non-denominational Bible believing/teaching church. I sensed the Spirit of God really moving in this church. The culture and atmosphere was totally different. At first I thought folks showing up to church wearing t-shirts and shorts was irreverent. I came to realize that God can see right through what we are wearing, be it a coat and tie or a t-shirt and shorts. He is concerned about what is going on internally; what we are thinking; what we are doing when nobody else is watching etc.

We have since changed churches a few more times but we still choose to attend non-conventional churches. Whether one's church is a formal or informal setting isn't important. What is important involves several things. I want to feel comfortable with those assembled. Most importantly I'm looking to hear God's word preached, especially when it hurts, when it's convicting. I'm not looking to have my ears tickled. I want my pastor to go through the Bible; book by book, chapter by chapter and verse by verse.

11I found a new church home and family Empty Re: I found a new church home and family Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:58 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

That's what I'm hoping. It's that time of year to complete all tax write offs and what I have in mind won't cost that much.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum