Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Late Fall/Winter clean up.........

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:59 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
After the last big wind we had blow through here in Tacoma, WA a few weeks ago I figured it was time to go out and clean up some of the mess from neighbors big maple tree and the rest of the yard. The clean up was over due fro picking up of the tree leaves. In doing so I noticed that the real hardy water lily was still slowly sending up stems for lily pads. They were exposed to surface frost when we had temps down into the teens and start to rot. I cleared out all of the dying or dead horse tail rush, pickeral weed, and water lily remains. I can actually see Shubunkin's now, and the pond water is crystal clear. With the help of the heater, this last week the pond water temp has ranged from 48 F to 52 F. The submersible aquarium heater is working just great and manages to keep the water temps well above freezing especially on those nights we have temps down into the teens (F).

Even this time of the year I enjoy my pond and fish.

View user profile http://www.picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

2 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:24 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I haven't been that energetic but the pond is clean enough to make it through winter. We don't have many shedding leaved trees too close so that helps. I see my fish each day when I leave the front porch and they always try to bribe me into feeding them but I resist. I did have one die and don't know why. Survival of the fittest I guess.

zone 7
View user profile

3 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:07 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
Yesterday I noticed my pond water was looking a bit like watered down tea, so I did a 50% water change. I managed to stir up some goo from the bottom, and netted that out. This morning the pond is crystal clear again, and the Shubunkin's are as active as ever. My pond water temps have been ranging at 50 degrees F, plus or minus 3 degrees F. The fish act like they are starving all the time, so when the temps are up above 50/52 degrees F, I give them about a fourth of the food that I would normally give them in the early spring. All's well here in the Northwest.

4 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:59 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I don't even know what the temp is out there now and I have looked out the window and the pond looks good and the fish are getting antsy swimming around looking like they too are searching for food. It's quite windy here right now and I'm not going out there anyway til I get back into shape and not taking the pain meds. If I went out there now I'd prolly get dizzy and fall in and radio activate them all

zone 7
View user profile

5 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:47 pm

I think I might be able to walk across our pond

View user profile

6 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:57 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Ok let's see ya do it Freddie and your lovely wife can take the pictures and have warm blankets and hot coffee waiting just in case you end up like Chuck ex[giggle]

zone 7
View user profile

7 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:09 pm

After a couple days into the 40's....our pond has open water again Still haven't seen any fish moving.

View user profile

8 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:57 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
That's great Freddie and hope the fish are all ok. But now we can't see you all sprawled out over the ice............unless you are lucky enough to get another nice big freezing snow storm ex[smile2] We are just having the same old rain here pretty much but last night we had a wind storm and few loud claps of thunder and lightning that turned off the t.v for a second...........whoopee

zone 7
View user profile

9 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:04 pm

During the Blizzard we had several weeks ago, there was thunder and lightning affraid to go along with the snow and 50 mph wind. Went out after work today and saw 3 of the larger Koi setting on the bottom and not moving much....but still alive I am REALLY getting tired of winter now.
The bird feeders in our yard have been active to say the least. 4 different species of woodpeckers,
both Nuthatches that are common to this area and even a Brown Creeper (unusual for winter) have all been enjoying the bounty of seeds and suet that we provide them.

View user profile

10 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:18 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Bill and I just got back from our walk and noticed that there is snow on top of the hills around us. They are predicting funnel clouds and hail for later this evening. We got a bit wet towards the end of our walk and then the sun came out and it's still shining amongst the raindrops but I can't find any rainbows es[uhuh] I noticed the other day that the lambs are arriving and I love to stand and watch them play. I'll be glad when Spring has sprung here too. It won't be long...........I hope

zone 7
View user profile

11 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:39 am

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
It's upper 60's almost 70 this week here, finally got some sun. I've had it with winter too.

12 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:37 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
So when ya gonna build your pond Bullfrog? You have space now for a huge one if you want right? There is lots of good info on http://www.gardenpondforum.com in case you ever get in the mood to start digging ex[dig]
They've got all kinds of DIY ideas and lots of knowledgeable people ex[nod]

zone 7
View user profile

13 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:52 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
I have the itch to put in a bigger pond. Due to the limited space in my back yard, it would involve removing my existing pond to go bigger. For now, I will have to settle for what I have.

Can wait for spring. ex[frog]

14 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:27 am

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Well the other mobile is done and rented out. The money is slowly building back up and I still have to skirt our mobile before I can do the pond, but it's coming.

15 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
Always priorities getting in the way, ha?

16 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:16 am

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I've been planning it. I want to pave the driveway then run a fence along it so the horses can't get out when we pull up. Vicki has to get out, go in and close the gate then walk to the porch. The horses follow her, then I can open it and drive in. This is a real pain. If the fence follows the driveway, then flares out a little, we can have a private area off the front porch where the horses can't hang their heads right over the gate to the steps as they do now. We could actually have our bird bath up without them knocking it over and a bird feeder without them eating the seed. The pond will go there.

17 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:01 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I'll be looking forward to seeing your pond in progress when it actually happens. For sure you can't have horses in the pond area either.............that would not be a pretty site. Looks like you've still got a ways to go w/ all that paving and fencing to keep them in their place.

zone 7
View user profile

18 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:18 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
Me too.

19 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:54 am

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Well I bought a new camera as I still haven't found the old one and will follow it step by step. I tried taking a picture of the chicken that lays a egg during the service but they came out too dark as I didn't know how to use the flash yet. We had to separate Glory from Honey and Gunny. She kicks when she eats. Poor Gunny was just walking to his food bowl and she kicked the crap out of him. He's pretty stoved up and limping right now. Honey really loves him, we bought her when she had just weaned her colt and she thinks that she is his momma. She lets him eat out of her bowl and that is unheard of.

20 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:51 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Glad you have a camera now to keep us updated on your farm and projects. It's fun seeing all your critters. Hope you get your flash figured out so we can see the chicken laying the egg at your church.
Poor little Gunny. I'm glad he has an adopted mom to care for him and treat him as her own. I bet he has grown since we last saw him and the others are prolly all fat and sassy now too.

zone 7
View user profile

21 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:01 am

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Gunny has plumped up but still doesn't play like a colt should. Especially lately, I'm sure thats not the only time that Glory has kicked him, he has a hard time getting up. I'll take him to the vet probably Thursday. Glory is going to have to go, I'll find her a good home but won't have a horse that kicks. Besides, she really needs some saddle work and I just don't have the time to do that right now, I'm getting a little old to be thrown.

A guy down the road has a Mustang named Angel which is what i wanted to begin with. Mustangs are very strong, smart horses. Angel can walk up to a six foot fence (only on command)you say "Angel, jump!" and she will stand on her rear legs then jump easily over the fence. That would be awesome, you stand in the stirrups and push your right knee in, she goes left. Push your left knee in and she goes right. He has trained her to do this blindfolded on a trail, she has total confidence in her rider.

22 Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:07 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Angel sounds like a really nice horse for your needs. Too bad about Glory and I hope the right person gets her. Maybe they can train her to behave herself. I wouldn't want a destructive animal on my property that might hurt another animal or heaven forbid a person. One might get sued also es[uhuh]

zone 7
View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum