Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Well the Great Blue Heron isn't really considered to be a disease or a parasite but.........

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
HE SHOULD BE! If it wasn't for my wonderful cat Spooky he would have ate my fish all up. Spooky was sitting on the back of the couch looking out the window and her tail was moving back and forth like she seen a little bird outside that she would like to eat up so I went to see what she was getting so riled up about and Whoa...........there he was..............THE GREAT BLUE HERON, standing by my pond fence just waiting for the right moment to stab a fish for breakfast. I grabbed my broom and went tearing out the front door waving and shouting like a crazy woman and he flew off to the roof of the shop across to the other side of our property and I went racing wildly after him screaming and carrying on like a banshee til he jumped up and flew off. Then I had to go drag out some fishing line and pound some stakes in the ground and attach everything up so as to try and discourage him for next time. I had some old black rubber bungees and I hooked those up temporarily too so the whole thing looks pretty ratty right now but I think it might work til I can do something more decorative next spring. I'm hoping anyway. I counted all the fish and they all seem to be there so whew, that's a relief ex[overreact]

zone 7
View user profile

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Do you live in an area where there are other homes close by? We had the same experience, kinda, and the neighbors all got their heads together and formed a "neighborhood watch" to keep an eye out for the heron. LOL. Really. One spent about a half hour sitting on the patio by the pond one day when we were gone, hoping to scare away the heron. Another one came running and yelling to tell me the heron was on our roof. Her kids were miffed that she wouldn't let them shoot the bird from their bedroom window. I don't have any problem since I put up the little fence and planted the marginals along the side the herons come in from.

I have to chuckle though imagining you running screaming, wielding your broom. Now your neighbors are sure you are crazy.

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Yes we have neighbors right across the road (we live in a culdesac of 5 homes on about an acre each)and we all look out for each other but only one can see a view of my pond from her property and if she ever seen him there she would chase him away too. They all know I'm crazy already so they wouldn't be phased by my wild maneuvers ex[maul] I will build a better system come next spring but it's too cold and wet around here now...........we might even get a little snow tonight ex[snow]

zone 7
View user profile

Mikey

Minnow
Minnow
Hopefully someone caught your running with a broom and screaming act on video.....LOL....

Tell you what. I will gladly trade you a white for a blue.....

View user profile

rosebud

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
I know these birds are a pest when you have a pond with fish, but they are such beautiful, graceful birds. I hope you don't have any more trouble with them. Maybe the one you cahsed away told his friends not to go to that house. A crazy lady with a broom lives there! ex[taz]

View user profile

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Mikey wrote:Hopefully someone caught your running with a broom and screaming act on video.....LOL....

Tell you what. I will gladly trade you a white for a blue.....

How about I give you two blues and you give me a palm tree

zone 7
View user profile

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
rosebud wrote:I know these birds are a pest when you have a pond with fish, but they are such beautiful, graceful birds. I hope you don't have any more trouble with them. Maybe the one you cahsed away told his friends not to go to that house. A crazy lady with a broom lives there! ex[taz]

They are lovely aren't they and I would never hurt one but I will sure do everything I can to keep him from getting my fish even if I have to resort to a net over the top which I don't want to do ex[fish]

zone 7
View user profile

rosebud

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
Okay, now MY post has disappeared! JW, try buying some pinwheels and putting them around your pond. When the wind blows, they flash and make noise. We use them to keep the birds out of our tomatoes.

View user profile

9 Driveway sensor on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:28 pm

Has anyone used one of those 'Driveway sensors' to alert you of any activity or movement near you pond?

It wouldn't work for me with my pond next to the house like it is. The only preditor I need to be concerned about would be heron. In a year and a half I have only seen them circling the area, but never landing. I think it might be the location of my pond in the yard near the house. ex[idea]

Happy ponding,

Rich ex[scared]

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Mine's close to the front porch but I've found Mr Heron standing out there in the early morning eyeballing the fish. I haven't seen him lately since I went out running at him w/ my broom. I also added some stakes and strung fish line around amidst all the other stuff. ex[fish]

zone 7
View user profile

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
He's back and he won't give up! Last night just before dark I was out looking for one of my cats and when I came near a big Douglass Fir tree all of a sudden something w/ huge wings flew away w/ a loud flapping of his wings and it startled me. Well I figured he was spying on my pond and had it marked for an early morning breakfast so I got up early this morning and sure enough he was standing by my pond. I ran out there yelling and waving my arms and he left but then he just came back a few minutes ago again. I was sitting in my computer room and looked out the window to see our large black cat w/ her hair all poofed up running as fast as she could across the yard. So I run out there to see what's going on and she's chasing that big old huge bird around the side of the house. The heron landed on the back part of the roof and when I saw him I yelled again and waved my arms and the cat sat there w/ her eyes glued on that bird w/ her hair still all poofed up and the bird flew a long ways off til I couldn't see him anymore. I gave the cat much praise and she's gonna get a treat. I though I had it rigged so he wouldn't be able to get that close w/ all my fencing and fish line and wind chimes etc. but he managed to find a weak spot. So I spent the whole morning adding more junk to make it tighter. I feel like Wiley coyote trying to outsmart the Roadrunner with bombs,traps etc!

Here's a few pix I took today of him:

zone 7
View user profile
Sounds like you NEED a wiley coyote! ex[wink1]
Actually a lifelike heron decoy could scare away your bird. They like to hunt alone.

View user profile

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

Or, you could just hire this man...

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
prestontolbert wrote:Sounds like you NEED a wiley coyote! ex[wink1]
Actually a lifelike heron decoy could scare away your bird. They like to hunt alone.

I've seen people using those heron decoy's at their ponds but I've also read on the internet that during mating season it can attract them
I still may try one and you have to move them around all the time or the bird gets the idea that it's not real or died standing up
ex[giggle]

Yesterday I attached my radio out on our covered front porch right near the pond to a timer and set it to go on at 5am and off at 9pm and the bird came again but he didn't come near the pond. He just sat on top of the shed and looked all hunched down and mad.This morning at 6:20am he was back and he was on the shed again and then he flew to our house roof and when I went out to see where he landed he saw me and flew away. The cat is really great at chasing him and it's so funny to see her running all poofed up after this big flying bird that she can never catch and if she did I don't think she'd like it one bit.

zone 7
View user profile

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
bullfrog wrote:

Or, you could just hire this man...

Never, never, never Bullfrog........... ex[tongue] ex[tongue] ex[tongue]

zone 7
View user profile

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Well, that was the cheap and effective method. Here's a humane one that will work.

http://www.gardenendeavors.com/rack/web13.html

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Thanks Bullfrog.........I'm going to get some netting today and I think I may get one of those fake Heron statues sometime soon. I'm not doing the sprinkler thingy tho cuz we have freezing weather in the winter and that would be the end of it. I do have the cat that chases it off each time she sees it. So far it only came back this morning once and I haven't seen it since

zone 7
View user profile

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
So far so good..........haven't seen him around this morning at all but the pond looks like a bad work of art now and I haven't even put up the bird netting yet If he doesn't come back soon I'm not gonna put the net over it and I may just take down the ropes. I put those up so he couldn't land on the side shelves even tho they are pretty deep in the water.

zone 7
View user profile

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Maybe I could get one of these for the front porch to scare Mr Heron away ex[giggle]
Which one do you like best?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtwFdET-ETM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AR&feature=related&hl=es-MX&v=bH3Yg9rrSdA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_vjBahbdRs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxxB33Ay_ec&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fteja5_kgko&feature=related

zone 7
View user profile

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
He's just doing fly overs now but never landing here. I have my radio out on the porch on talk radio set to play at 5am and go off at 9pm and he doesn't like that one bit...........I think I have won the battle so far

zone 7
View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum