Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

The moles keep digging

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The moles keep digging on Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:12 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I love all animals and I just can't harm them no matter who they are so w/ this little critter...........they keep me busy..................I stick the water hose down a recent hole and sometimes if you get the right hole they will come up swimming to the surface and I grab them by the scruff of the neck like a cat would carry a kitten and plop them in my bucket and take them for a ride on my bicycle handlebars to the woods a few blocks away and let them go. 🐰

View user profile

2 Re: The moles keep digging on Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:07 pm

fishlipsmcgee

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
Is that a mole? I thought they were larger but couldn't say for sure. I've never seen one. That looks like what I have but I thought I had voles as the rascals look like a mouse but dark brown. I catch them running across the drive from bed to bed. They even got in the garage and chewed through the bottom of a garbage bag and I found one in the recycle bin. Now I have to elevate it on a stool. They are also making trails in my front lawn like they're eating the roots. The dirt isn't mounded up. I tried using a repelent but I've still got them. I don't want to have to deal with traps and little dead bodies, and I'm not as brave as JW to pick them up. I don't want to put posion out as cats or rabbits might find it. Does anyone have a humane but surefire way to get rid of them? I'm aftraid to see if I'm going to have a front lawn next spring.

"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth."--Ronald Reagan
View user profile

3 Re: The moles keep digging on Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:52 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
fishlipsmcgee wrote:Is that a mole? I thought they were larger but couldn't say for sure. I've never seen one. That looks like what I have but I thought I had voles as the rascals look like a mouse but dark brown. I catch them running across the drive from bed to bed. They even got in the garage and chewed through the bottom of a garbage bag and I found one in the recycle bin. Now I have to elevate it on a stool. They are also making trails in my front lawn like they're eating the roots. The dirt isn't mounded up. I tried using a repelent but I've still got them. I don't want to have to deal with traps and little dead bodies, and I'm not as brave as JW to pick them up. I don't want to put posion out as cats or rabbits might find it. Does anyone have a humane but surefire way to get rid of them? I'm aftraid to see if I'm going to have a front lawn next spring.

Fishlips here is a link to our radio garden guy and here are some of his ideas on getting rid of moles:

http://www.ciscoe.com/garden/topics/moles.html

Good luck.............I have given up and I just rake the mounds over and flat and call it good. You sound like you definitely have voles and they will use the moles tunnels to travel through and will wreck you plants and get into stuff. The moles will only eat grubs and worms.....they don't eat your plant roots or bulbs or anything like that but they do make a mess of your yard. ex[frustrate]

zone 7
View user profile

4 Re: The moles keep digging on Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:08 pm

fishlipsmcgee

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
Thanks so much JW. I've got some mint in the garden that the frost hasn't gotten yet. I'm going to go out in a little while and drop some down the holes. In the spring I'll make a batch of the repellent. I don't want to kill them, I just want them to go away - forever.

"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth."--Ronald Reagan
View user profile

5 Re: The moles keep digging on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:05 pm

Janice, aren't you afraid they'll bite you?

View user profile

6 The moles keep digging on Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi Fishlips.
Sounds like what you have are Voles. We have them in the gardens where I work and they do look like mice but dark brown.
The Moles that JW has have really large digging feet on the front which as far as I can remember the Voles do not.
The only thing that took care of the Voles at work were hawks and kestrels.
So if you see hawks around say thanks.
Good luck to you I hope you find a sellution

View user profile

7 Re: The moles keep digging on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:52 am

fishlipsmcgee

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
Thanks Mrs. Peepers. Yes, I think they are voles too. Anyone know where I can get a hawk? ex[smile2]

View user profile

8 Re: The moles keep digging on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:03 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Cool Chools wrote:Janice, aren't you afraid they'll bite you?

I try to have my gloves on but I have grabbed them with my bare fingers. I am very careful to grab them right at the back on the fur and hold firm and they can't reach me with their mouth or feet..............so far anyway ex[taz]

zone 7
View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum