You are not connected. Please login or register

Had To Pour Boiling Water In The Pond

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Had To Pour Boiling Water In The Pond on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:40 pm

fishlipsmcgee

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
Had To Pour Boiling Water In The Pond To Open A Hole...Again this year

I have had the heaters in the pond for weeks, but not plugged in because it has been above freezing. I know the temps were getting colder and even some snow flurries predicted. what was I thinking??? I think it's a state of denial. It happens every year. I wake up and remember OMG it was freezing last night. Sure enough, the pond is covered in ice. I pour boiling water on a spot to open an emergency hole them plug in the heater. Whew! They're swiming around and no one's floating. Pulled it off again this year. Will I ever learn? ex[hammer]

"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth."--Ronald Reagan
View user profile

2 Re: Had To Pour Boiling Water In The Pond on Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:22 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I'm glad you got to it in time. I am trying something different this year. Usually I just let the waterfall run all year but last year it got down to -6* and the waterfall circulated the water and didn't allow for the waters down below to be still and thus warmer. I believe that's what killed most of my goldfish. They just couldn't take the temps. This year I have one bubbling air hose and one bubbling water pump going just enough to hopefully keep two open holes in the ice for gases to escape and fish to breath. So far we have had just a little thin ice on the pond but those two areas are clear. Course I won't know til or if we get a real hard freeze for a few days straight. I also heard that if you float a medium sized log or put a basketball sized ball in the water it will allow gases to escape and air to get in. I don't have the foggiest idea why that would work? Unless it's because the inside of the log and the air in the ball are warmer. But hey I just might give it a try if the bubbling doesn't. Otherwise I will have to find a heater of some sort.

zone 7
View user profile

3 Re: Had To Pour Boiling Water In The Pond on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:34 pm

fishlipsmcgee

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
I didn't realize that your temps got that cold there, JW.

My pond is only 2 feet deep. I keep a 100 watt Thermo Pond heater plugged in most of the winter. Once I finally get around to plugging it in - that is. ex[whistle] ex[blushing] If we have a warm spell, a few days above freezing I will unplug it just to save on electricity.

When we get a big snowfall or several days of cold temps I also plug in a 1250 watt deicer. That will actually clear the whole pond over a day or two (my pond is very small) and I think keep the ice from getting too thick since it doesn't accumulate all winter since my pond is on the shallow side.

I have been doing this for several years and it seems to work. I at first tried puttina a submersable pumb on a plant shelf so that it was just under the surface and acted as sort of a bubbler. I think that in the really cold temps I had a problem with it not being able to do the job. To be on the safe side I would get a high wattage deicer that you can just plug in when needed. I keep mine in the pond all winter on a seperate extension ( I know-not recommended-very dangerous)that I can just reach out the doorwall and plug in when needed. Py pond is right off the deck so it is close to the house.

As the the floating ball theory I don't know about that. When I net my pond in the fall I actually float a large beach ball in the pond to hold the net up and out of the water. It looked frozen in there yesterday when the pond froze. That reminds me, I better get that net off and that ball out of the water. We're supposed to get snow tonight.

"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth."--Ronald Reagan
View user profile

4 Re: Had To Pour Boiling Water In The Pond on Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:52 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Our temps only get low now and then and usually we are above freezing during the winter so I'm not sure I would need a heater or not. I just have to play it by ear. My pond is 3 and 1/2 feet deep so the fish have plenty of warmer water down below. I'm hoping the bubbling things will work but if it did get too cold for too long I'm sure they would fail and then I would be out there like you with a pan of hot water. Not my favorite thing to do in below freezing weather. ex[brrrrr]

zone 7
View user profile

5 depth on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:48 pm

My 365 gallon pond is two feet deep at it's deepest point in the middle. All of my lilies are planted at that depth.

Happy ponding,

Rich ex[baghead]

6 Re: Had To Pour Boiling Water In The Pond on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:00 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
There is a plug that acts as a thermostat and only turns on your deicer when temps get to a certain point.

7 Plug on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:55 pm

Esther,

Do you know where one can find one of these plugs you refered to?

Happy ponding,

Rich ex[brrrrr]

8 Re: Had To Pour Boiling Water In The Pond on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:40 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
OldMarine wrote:Esther,

Do you know where one can find one of these plugs you refered to?

Happy ponding,

Rich ex[brrrrr]

You can get them at feed stores or online Rich. Here is one I just found so you can see what they look like etc.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/stock-tanks-accessories/stock-tank-heaters/thermo-cube-air-temperature-sensing-electrical-outlet-controller-2170275

zone 7
View user profile

9 The plug on Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:16 pm

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check one out and what kind of limits it may have.

Happy ponding,

Rich ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog]

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum