Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Your Thoughts?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Your Thoughts? Empty Your Thoughts? Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:56 pm

Mikey

Mikey
Minnow
Minnow

Luke 9:49 John said, "Master, we saw someone driving out demons in your name. We tried to stop him, because he wasn't a follower like us."
Luk 9:50 Jesus said to him, "Don't stop him! For whoever is not against you is for you."

The teacher in church this morning discussed this and several other related verses. What are your thoughts on what Jesus is saying?

2Your Thoughts? Empty Re: Your Thoughts? Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:26 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Hoo Boy Mikey!! I have asked if the prayers of a non believer other than for salvation are heard by God. Pete just came in and we are always getting into discussions like this.

LIKE US??? Were they saying he didn\'t believe in Jesus at all? That doesn\'t make sense because for him to have used Jesus name to cast out the demons, he must have believed and maybe the others were wrong. Or maybe they were \"self righteous\" and thought that beause they were of a certain group (like us), they were special to Jesus and were elevating themselves by pointing out they were better than \"that other guy\".

Grabs me by the neck and points out to me again that a lot of things that we think are important to God may in the end not matter a bit and we\'ve overlooked a lot that was important to Him.

Also, yes hearing and responding are two different things.

Last edited by Esther on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

3Your Thoughts? Empty Re: Your Thoughts? Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:32 pm

Mikey

Mikey
Minnow
Minnow

Hearing and listening are different. God may hear the prayers of the unrighteous but I don't believe He listens to them.

4Your Thoughts? Empty Re: Your Thoughts? Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:16 am

Mikey

Mikey
Minnow
Minnow

Our pastor is mentoring young men in the church and for the last several Sundays a young 25 year old has been doing the teaching.

In an earlier topic we briefly discussed that there are numerous protestant denominations, which is fine so long as we continue to fellowship as the body of Christ and hold true to fundamental Christian doctrine. Basically he said that we should not be so dogmatic in our religious beliefs so as to exclude other Christians, who are Christians but of a different denomination. Some churches have a "it's my way or the highway" type of belief system when it comes to theological issues that really are not that clear in scripture nor do they affect one's salvation. In other words we shouldn't be so sectarian in nature as to exclude or look down at others. No one denomination can claim exclusiveness and do God's works. The church is the body of Christ. All believers are a part of that body as was this person who was casting out demons in Christ's name.

Christ's disciples were an exclusive group, chosen by Christ Himself. None the less the person casting out demons was doing so in Christ's name, thus he was a believer but not a part of the 12. In Christianity, if you are not for Christ then you are against Him. There is no neutral ground.

The verses preceding this verse has the disciples arguing about their status as followers of Christ. It says in Luke 9:46 "Now an argument started among them as to which of them might be the greatest." Jesus then proceeds to chastise them relative to their lack of humility.

So that's basically what I got out of his teaching this morning.

5Your Thoughts? Empty Re: Your Thoughts? Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:35 am

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Yup, that's what I was thinking basically.

6Your Thoughts? Empty Re: Your Thoughts? Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:39 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

I agree with Esther and JW, an elevation of self as to which one was the greatest demonstrates a flaw in mankind, that they felt themselves to be special. The man casting out demons in his name was doing exactly what Christ wanted.

7Your Thoughts? Empty Re: Your Thoughts? Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:32 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

And as with our "flaw", it is simply sin.

When we gossip, joke about, put down, criticize unfairly, we are often doing that to "putdown" the other person to raise ourselves up.

8Your Thoughts? Empty Re: Your Thoughts? Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:56 pm

Stretch

Jesus said in Matthew, I think, "On that day many will cry out Lord Lord did we not prophesy in your name, did we not cast out demons, did we not perform many miracles? And I will say to them in a clear voice, "depart from me, I don't know you". Only he knows who has a relationship with him and who doesn't. The fact that these people he's referring to obviously didn't and were still able to do these things shows how much power there is in his name. And demons were driven out, regardless of who did it, somebody was better off.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]