You are not connected. Please login or register

I am stunned

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: I am stunned on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:33 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Aha, you never stop learning until the day you die I guess, especially if you are willing and open to learn. Interesting fluke though that choosing to build the models assisted you unknowingly in writing your book.

27 Re: I am stunned on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:02 pm

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Esther wrote:Aha, you never stop learning until the day you die I guess, especially if you are willing and open to learn. Interesting fluke though that choosing to build the models assisted you unknowingly in writing your book.

And that work sent me home for a month with pay right now. This gives me the time to fully edit the book for the final submission. Another (coincidence?)is that the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Contest is taking submissions for one week starting only on the 25th.

I submitted the work to two agents and prayed for success while driving to Walmart. I told God that winning the lottery would be great, but how much more would it mean to me if I made my way in life with nothing but the talent and drive that he gave me?

When I got home, there was an acceptance letter in my email. Another coincidence?

I told my wife that it would really piss me off in a way if I struggled all of my life and then made it by just writing stories. She said that I never had the life experience until now to pen this work. The pain that Felipe felt at his fathers death was my pain. The prejudice that the slaves faced was that which I faced growing up the only Spaniard in my community. The struggle against the seemingly overwhelming odds of poverty. All of this made me the man that I am today and she is right, there is no way I could have written this story years ago.

I think that God is pointing the way and believe that he will open the door for me.

28 Re: I am stunned on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:08 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Yup, I suspect we are best trained to be able to understand and talk about something we have actually experienced in life. Then with that coupled to gained knowledge, it can work out well.

29 Re: I am stunned on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:55 pm

Lari

Minnow
Minnow
bullfrog wrote:

When I got home, there was an acceptance letter in my email.

ex[hooray] ex[pirate] CONGRATULATIONS!! ex[pirate] ex[hooray]

View user profile

30 Re: I am stunned on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:05 am

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
An acceptance letter...........so what does that mean Bullfrog..........what happens now? Does this mean they are reviewing it? I'm so exited for you ex[pillow]

zone 7
View user profile

31 Re: I am stunned on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:28 am

good for you brother ex[cheers]

View user profile

32 Re: I am stunned on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:08 am

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
The acceptance letter merely means that the agent is interested and wants to read more, it doesn't mean that she has accepted it or will send to an editor to print. She did ask me to send the first three chapters to her in the mail, which I did. It will arrive via Fedex tomorrow. So, somewhere in Utah a lady will be reading it over her coffee tomorrow morning. I was just thrilled to get this because as I said there is a 98% fail ratio of submitted work. Once the agent accepts it you are on your way because they know what will sell and what won't.

The writer's forum that I belong to have such nay sayers. I was excited and told them about it and got "There is no way this work is ready to submit, you just finished it, you had better not send it in, etc."

I told them that several good friends had been reading and helping me correct it, finding typos and making suggestions and they liked it enough to wade through all 90,140 words of it. Their answer was "Are these writers or just people?"

Well guess what, I want "just people" to read my work, not writers. I want to entertain people, get them interested in a flight of fantasy where they like the characters, an unlikely group of misfits and friends all struggling toward a common goal. I think perhaps the ones saying this are maybe jealous because as one said yesterday, they have changed and submitted 24 different versions of their work.

Who knows? It may never get to print but I sure had fun writing it.

33 Re: I am stunned on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:25 am

rosebud

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
Yeah, who cares if "writers" like it or not. Regular folks are the ones who buy the books! And WE like it! ex[nod]

View user profile

34 Re: I am stunned on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:54 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Bullfrog just tell them to sit and spin

zone 7
View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: