You are not connected. Please login or register

What's your "secret" ingredient?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: What's your "secret" ingredient? on Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:40 am

fishlipsmcgee

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
I don't think all Italians do. I don't know anyone else who does. I think it depends on the region, you are from. for instance a northern sauce near Switzerland & Austria is quite different than a sauce from southern Italy. In the north they eat a lot more meat & dairy because of the terrain there and they have a lot of livestock. I think the countries in the region influence the food also. When I lived in Reno I went to a Swiss restaurant in the foothills going up to Lake Tahoe. I was so surprised that most of the food was in a tomato sauce. I don't know what I was expecting as I really didn't know what Swiss cuisine was.

My grandmother was Scilian and she's the one that used cinnamon. I don't know if her family did or if she avoided putting sugar in her sauce because my grandfather was diabetic.

Some make their sauce SO sweet. At least to my liking. I worked with a fellow who is 100% Italian. He brought in a big pan of pasta one time for a Christmas potluck. Oh my gosh it was so sweet, even sweeter that the jarred sauces in the supermarket. They used honey instead of sugar. I could really taste the honey in it so they must have used an awful lot.

I'm making pasta tonight for dinner too...but from my stash in the freezer. ex[giggle]

"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth."--Ronald Reagan
View user profile

27 Re: What's your "secret" ingredient? on Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:18 am

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
I was watching a cooking show where they take a young woman who doesn't think she can cook but her mother can and have the mother make up some of the girl's favorite recipes. I saw one the other day where the mother was making meatballs and spagetti sauce. She put cinnamon in the sauce. They were Italian and lived somewhere in New York.

28 Re: What's your "secret" ingredient? on Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:42 pm

Denny

In some recipes, curry powder is my secret(ish) ingredient.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum