Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do you have a recipe for

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Do you have a recipe for Empty Do you have a recipe for Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:37 am

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Meringues

Have you ever made or eaten "meringues" with icecream and fruit or chocolate sauce. My mom used to make them when I was a kid. I can't find my recipe. Do you have a recipe for 357774 (A long time ago, My then 14 year old son Kevin, (he's 41 now) took my collection of recipes to the neighbors and left them there. I never knew where they went to, until a few years ago Dawn told me.)(LOL all that time I was blaming my X for stealing them as his new wife wasn't much of a cook.)

I googled it and came up with this:

1/2 c. egg whites
1/4 t. cream of tartar
1/4 t. salt
1 c. white sugar

Tips about making meringues: use fresh cold eggs, don't use a plastic bowl, do use very clean utinsels and glass or stainless steel bowl (no grease or egg yolk in the mix). Beat eggs on high, slowly adding rest of stuff until mixture will hold a peak. Evidently the cream of tartar helps the mixture to achieve it's shape.

Oven temp. 200-225* Place meringues on parchment paper or waxed paper and bake for 1 hour. My mother used to use brown paper grocery bags.

There are varying options such as adding food coloring, flavorings, chocolate bits, or cocoa to make them like cookies. They can be shaped like candy kisses or mushrooms or cookies.

I'm going to put a glob of meringue on the paper and then with the back of my spoon, make an indentation to act as a bowl for the icecream. I will serve it with chocolate sauce.

Kevin and Dawn and their kids, Ken and Tammie and Maddie are coming for supper.

Menu;
Tater Tots (for the kids)
Strawberry Jello with strawberries from last summer (for the kids too because heaven knows they won't touch the Italian stuff.)
Corn
Italian salad (quartered cherry tomatoes, small mushrooms, cucumber pieces, chunks of carrots, marinated in Italian dressing, avocado, Parmesan and Asiago cheese, and some extra basil. I added chunks of fresh mozzarella this morning.)
Breaded pork chops
Crescent rolls (I cheated and am using the ones that come in a roll in the fridge.)
Meringues with french vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce.

I'm making Creme' Brulee too with the leftover egg yolks so they'll have to decide between the desserts.

Last edited by Esther on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Do you have a recipe for Empty Re: Do you have a recipe for Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:01 pm

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Esther, the cream of tartar helps make the meringues dry and stiffer.
Sounds like a great dinner! I'm just cooking cabbage with chicken tonight. But it's one of our favorites.

3Do you have a recipe for Empty Re: Do you have a recipe for Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:08 pm

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Sounds like a wonderful dinner, Esther. The meringues sound delicious but I am a sucker for creme' brulee so that is what I will have please. Do you have a recipe for 904532 I bet you even have the torch to carmelize the sugar, don't you?

4Do you have a recipe for Empty Re: Do you have a recipe for Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Oh sure. Pete being a plumber has a couple blow torches. When we knew he was going to be layed off, or retire, his boss told him he could keep his work truck. It is a '98 with about 225,000 miles on it. Pete had made all sorts of boxes and drawers to house the tools and fittings they needed to have on hand for the jobs he went on. So I told Pete he'd better be sure we have the tools at home that he'd need for a job incase his boss wants the tools back. So he went out and bought a few things that we didn't have at home, including a new torch. I don't remember why this one was better than the one on the truck but I urged him to get the fancier one. Turns out his boss is letting keep all his tools too. SOOOOOOO now we have duplicates of several things.

We just learned that his boss sold his company so Pete won't be able to go back to work for him I guess. Unemployment is almost done too. BOOHOO!! es[uhuh]

I even have the Turbinado sugar I think it is called. The granules are very coarse compared to regular sugar.

5Do you have a recipe for Empty Re: Do you have a recipe for Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:30 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Everything turned out just fine and we had an enjoyable evening. The desserts were a big hit. The kids were a little nervous about the meringues but I had made three tiny ones so they could try them. "MMMMMM Grandma, this is good."

If I told you I had Creme* Brulee and a meringue with chocolate sauce for breakfast, would you hit me?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum