Crockpot Italian Beef

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Crockpot Italian Beef on Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:25 am

Lari

Minnow
Minnow
Crock Pot Italian Beef

-1 or 2 beef roasts ( I usually use 2...1 chuck roast and a tip roast or something with less fat )
-1 or 2 coarse chopped onions (more if you like a lot of onion like I do)

-1 jar of sliced peperoncini with juice
-1 bottle of beer
-1 or 2 packets of dry italian dressing mix ( again depending on number of roasts )

In a large crockpot, combine the juice from the peperoncinis with the beer and mix in the dry italian dressing. Put the roasts in the crockpot, and add the onions and peperoncini over the top. The meat should be mostly covered by liquid at the beginning of cooking and will cook down to be fully covered as you shred it apart.

Turn the pot on high for the first hour or so then down to low. After about 12 hours the meat will be getting tender enough to flake apart with forks or tongs. Occasionally pull it apart at any time during the cooking process until it's well shredded.
Cook in crock pot for at least 24 hours.

Serve hoagie rolls with provolone cheese on it.

Got this recipe from another forum and made it last weekend. It's WONDERFUL!

View user profile

2 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:41 am

fishlipsmcgee

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
That does sound good! Too bad I'm not having a Superbowl party. It would be the perfect thing to serve.

"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth."--Ronald Reagan
View user profile

3 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Starting this one now to serve tomorrow during Super Bowl

View user profile

4 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:39 pm

Lari

Minnow
Minnow
Hope you all enjoy it as much as we did.

View user profile

5 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:39 pm

crockpot has been "cooking" 2 hours and it smells heavenly

View user profile

6 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:48 pm

This turned out AWESOME.
We definitely plan on serving this next time we host any sort of a party. The only mistake I made was getting the whole peperoncini peppers instead of sliced, so I had to fish out the stems as I shredded the beef. The flavor was good with a nice spicy bite
Thank you for the recipe

View user profile

7 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:44 pm

fishlipsmcgee

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
Yum! I was waiting for the recipe review, Freddie. Looks like this recipe tasted as good as it sounded. It's a keeper. Can't wait to try it.

"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth."--Ronald Reagan
View user profile

I cooked your "crock pot Italian Beef" yesterday, and it really made points with my wife. It was so good we had to go back for seconds. My hats off to you.

Thank you.

Happy ponding,

Rich :[IMG]2thumbs01 ex[happy] :[IMG]2thumbs01 ex[happy] ex[hooray] ex[happy]

9 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:17 pm

Lari

Minnow
Minnow
I decided to try a "french dip" version of this last weekend. I gotta tell ya..it's the best version yet in my opinion.

Chuck Roast
Beer
Au Jus packet mix
two large sliced onions.

Cook 24 hours in the crockpot...

Served on a toasted hard bun with melted swiss cheese. Dip in au jus.

I will say that the beer/au jus it cooked in wasn't as good as just regular au jus for the dipping. the beer gave it a different flavor I wasn't impressed with. But with the regular au jus it is fantastic.

Another time I'm going to add sautee'd mushrooms on the sandwiches too. Just because I love sauteed mushrooms.

View user profile

10 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:27 am

Bartender

Minnow
Minnow
Ok, dang it!! Ya'll are making me crazy with all this good stuff!! I may just have to actually go into my kitchen and try this one!!! I love french dip sammiches!!

View user profile http://www.marykay.com/andismith/default.aspx

11 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:30 am

Bartender

Minnow
Minnow
What kind of beer do you use in the original recipie? I don't do beer, so I have no idea what kind to cook with.

12 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:45 am

fishlipsmcgee

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
Lari wrote:I decided to try a "french dip" version of this last weekend. I gotta tell ya..it's the best version yet in my opinion.

Chuck Roast
Beer
Au Jus packet mix
two large sliced onions.

Cook 24 hours in the crockpot...

Served on a toasted hard bun with melted swiss cheese. Dip in au jus.

I will say that the beer/au jus it cooked in wasn't as good as just regular au jus for the dipping. the beer gave it a different flavor I wasn't impressed with. But with the regular au jus it is fantastic.

Another time I'm going to add sautee'd mushrooms on the sandwiches too. Just because I love sauteed mushrooms.

Lari, do you cook it 2-4 hours or 24 hours?

View user profile

13 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:19 pm

Lari

Minnow
Minnow
24 as in twenty four.

We live in Milwaukee, so Miller is the main beer of choice it seems around here.

I used Miller this time.

Used Heinikins when I made the corned beef and Miller with the Italian.

Mainly because neither Bruce or I drink beer, so I've used whatever his son (who lives here ex[stormcloud] and that's all I'll say on that subject) had on hand.

Last edited by Lari on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

14 Crock pot on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:26 pm

Esther,

I just wanted you to know that I followed that to a 'T', and it came out simply delicious. I realized that I didn't have the recommended 24 hours to cook this in time for dinner that same day, so I left the crock pot on high for 4 hours and then turned it down to low for the last three. It still tasted awsome. Really made points with the little lady.

Thanks,

Rich

15 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:46 pm

Lari

Minnow
Minnow
The guy who shared the original recipe for the italian beef said his sister in law cooks on high for less time too and it turns out, but he prefers it to be cooked on low for longer. I've only done it on low. Even went 36 hours with the italian and it was great.

Leftovers frozen in serving sized bags, then thawed and reheated in the microwave came out great too.

View user profile

16 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:34 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Ok all this talk about this recipe really is getting to me and it sounds simply delicious so I have copied it down w/ all the tips added and I'm going to try this one for when I am feeling the need to cheat on my low carb diet which seems to be more and more often. I know my DH will love it too and he doesn't do diets and he does drink his occasional beer so I will have that on hand at times.

zone 7
View user profile

17 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:14 am

Bartender

Minnow
Minnow
We bought the roasts tonight!! I couldn't remember the recipies, so I've still got to get the au jus, and of course, a beer. I don't know, we may just skip the beer. Unless Hubby stops and gets just one in a little brown bag! LOL

18 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:19 am

Lari

Minnow
Minnow
I think it's the alcohol in the beer that helps with tenderness and moisture retention. But it may be the effervescence too. I say this because, I also have heard of cooking things in Soda...like coke and getting the same effect. But not diet soda because I think the sugar content is also important.

View user profile

19 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:18 am

Lari wrote:I think it's the alcohol in the beer that helps with tenderness and moisture retention. But it may be the effervescence too. I say this because, I also have heard of cooking things in Soda...like coke and getting the same effect. But not diet soda because I think the sugar content is also important.
I agree with this....We make pulled pork with a pork shoulder cooked in root beer in the slow cooker and it's wonderful too

View user profile

20 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:44 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Hmmmmmmmm, so one could possibly use root beer instead of the real beer eh? I might just try the diet pop even tho it may effect the sugar content. I could add some extra sugar free sugar to give it more sweetness couldn't I? Just trying to keep the carbs down. ex[happy]

zone 7
View user profile

21 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:36 pm

rosebud

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
Trust me, a Coke will tenderize anything! ex[nod]

View user profile

22 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:43 pm

Bartender

Minnow
Minnow
So true! I actually have baked ham with Coke! I may just try it with the roast!

Hubby even bought a club soda last night, I wonder what that would do?

I'll probably put it all together tonight, so we'll have it tomorrow night, after a very lonnnnng day for me. I have a doctor's appointment, then gotta make a delivery and get taxes done. Also gotta VOTE!

23 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:23 pm

Lari

Minnow
Minnow
Let us know whichever way you try it.

They say you can't taste he beer, but in these recipe's I think you can. I took some of the french dip type to work last week to share with one of the girls I work with. She took what we had leftover at lunch home for her husband, he said he tasted beer even before knowing how it was cooked. It's not the same as actually drinking a beer though. I personally don't care for the flavor of beer for drinking, but do like everything I've ever had cooked in/with it.

View user profile

24 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:06 am

Bartender

Minnow
Minnow
Alrighty... my rump and shoulder are having a nice warm soak!! They are surrounded by aromatic slices of onion, in a bath of au jus! Everyone knows things go better with Coke, so, they're having a Coke and a Smile! ex[giggle]

Now, as far as my BODY goes, can't wait til supper tomorrow, to eat me some french dip sammich!! ex[served]

25 Re: Crockpot Italian Beef on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:00 am

Bartender

Minnow
Minnow
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

It is 2 a.m. and it is sho' smellin' fine up in hur'!!!

Now how in the heck am I supposed to sleep with the smell making me so dadgum HONGRY!?!?! Yes, that's hOngry--not hUngry--the IS a diffrence at our house!!

ex[drool] ex[drool] ex[drool]

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum