Growing Lotus

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

76 Re: Growing Lotus on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:03 pm

HOWELL

Wow freddie those look awesome..

View user profile

77 Re: Growing Lotus on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:41 pm

came home early enough to get a picture of the lotus bloom, and all the petals have already fallen off the the flower ex[thumbdown]

View user profile

78 Re: Growing Lotus on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:17 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
What a bummer............so when the lotus flower blooms it only lasts for one day? Well maybe you will catch the next one ex[nod]

zone 7
View user profile

79 Re: Growing Lotus on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:09 am

I'm not sure how long the flowers last, I thought at least 3 days.
We have been getting some awful storms here lately with high winds too.
I think the wind tore that one apart.
This morning the second one was in full bloom so we got a couple quick pics.
Then I heard the thunder and saw lightning, ran into the house just before a total downpour
so I bet the second lotus bloom is now toast
Good news is there are at least 3 more buds on the plant

jw....This lotus is called "Pretty Princess Peyton"
I got it from Texas Waterlilies as part of a group buy on the Koiphen forum
Honestly I'm not all that impressed by the bloom, in fact the name sounds "prettier" than
the actual flower.
My "Russian Red" is a little behind and only has a few leaves, no flower buds yet
Same for "Mrs Perry Slocum"

View user profile

80 Re: Growing Lotus on Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:46 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Well I bet when that Russian Red blooms it will be a beauty. Still hope you post the pic of the Pretty Princess lotus.........w/ a name like that it should be a nice looking one you'd think Gosh if you can keep these all those alive over the winter you will have quite a nice collection ex[nod]

zone 7
View user profile

81 Re: Growing Lotus on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:00 pm

Yes I am planning to be diligent in my fall pond maintenance this year. Although the cost of the tubers wasn't really much at all,
I'd like to be able to offer tubers in the spring for anyone that wants to try them.

NEWS FLASH....... another batch of storms ripped through our area this morning
and ruined the second bloom on the princess. At least we got a couple pictures
of the flower before the wind blew it away

View user profile

82 Re: Growing Lotus on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:40 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I think everyone's weather throughout the whole country is kinda strange this year. We had one of the worst Springs in history here. Too cold and too wet. My lotus didn't like it here one bit. They went to lotus heaven I'm gonna just stick w/ the hardy lilies myself but I bet you can find homes for your lovely lotus tubers when the time comes for dividing. Maybe people w/ warmer, earlier summers would have better luck w/ them. They are soooooooooooo pretty, I was hoping they would make it ex[happy] I wonder how Rich's are doing?

zone 7
View user profile

83 Re: Growing Lotus on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:29 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
If it's not the weather, now I have racoon's that are getting a kick out of up rooting the lotus tubers that are having a hard time getting started. Of course the tubs for my lotus are out next to the drive way outside the six foot fence. I believe it will be a miricle if the lotus do anything at all.

Happy ponding?

View user profile http://www.picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

84 Re: Growing Lotus on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:43 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I'm so sorry to hear that Rich. I was pulling for yours to make it. Guess we just weren't meant to have them for some reason. Try sprinkling some cayenne pepper around the ground around your pots and maybe put some on the edge of the pot if you can. If those little buggers get it on their paws and lick them they may not come back for more ex[taz]

zone 7
View user profile

85 Re: Growing Lotus on Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:09 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
Great idea! It worked on a white car I used to have years ago. A neighbors cat used to walk all over our white car at night and leave muddy foot prints. I used a light sprinkle of cayenne pepper on the car for several nights in a row, and the problem went away. Honest, I didn't shoot the cat, but it did stay away from my car.

Happy ponding,

86 Re: Growing Lotus on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:45 am

Oldmarine wrote: Honest, I didn't shoot the cat, but it did stay away from my car.

Happy ponding,

ex[giggle] ex[giggle] ex[giggle]

View user profile

87 Re: Growing Lotus on Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:21 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
I know shooting the cat would be the easiest way, but we aren't allowed to discharge a weapon here in the city limits of Tacoma. Darn. Long story short between the cool spring and summer, and the racoon's, my lotus didn't have a chance. If I plant anything in water. it will have to be in the back yard with a six foot fence around it. Maybe next year. I can't tell you how disappointed I am.

88 Re: Growing Lotus on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:45 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I hear ya Rich and I feel your pain. My poor lotus kicked the bucket a long time ago from the frigid Spring we had. Now Rocky raccoon is after my Taro in a pot on the back deck. Bill made me some small boards with staples sticking out so that if he comes back he will have to stand on those sharp things and he'll shoot to the moon in pain and hopefully won't come back. He took a bite out of one of them after digging thru the muck

zone 7
View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum