Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

My daughter in law Dawn

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 My daughter in law Dawn on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:46 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Braeden's mother recently wrote this letter.

I am a cancer mom. I am also a grieving mom. I am a member of a horrible, yet growing, club of parents who have lost a child to cancer. As such I am increasingly disillusioned by how I see the priorities of my country and by my elected officials. Let me preface this by saying that I will not delve into the "who deserves what more" debate--many groups of children need help, all are deserving. Rather, it is a commentary on the situation from my perspective, as I see it. It was, however, the disaster in Haiti and the response to it that escalated this contemplation. So many people and so many organizations were so quick to respond to the horror in Haiti. It was an amazing thing to see, and yet I'm left wondering why Haiti's children get the attention our own children do not. Childhood cancer isn't a global disaster. It's not? Some 80-100,000 children worldwide die of cancer every year. It isn't an issue of national interest. It should be. In the United States today, childhood cancer is the number one disease killer of our children--claiming more lives than pediatric AIDS, cystic fibrosis, and asthma combined. These kids aren't splashed all over the news and being featured by tv and radio hosts. Why not? Why aren't these brave kids featured on tv and radio specials? Why isn't research funded better? Why don't our own elected officials take this issue seriously? In 2008, our Congress UNANIMOUSLY passed legislation promising $30 million a year for childhood cancer research and initiatives. The first year following that legislation, barely $5 million of the promised amount was appropriated. The impression I am left with is that it is politically expedient to vote for the legislation, since saying no to helping children fighting cancer would look terrible on record, but in the end building libraries for dead politicians, building nature trails and studying fish are much more important. Democrats and Republicans have failed equally here, and at least in my state of Michigan, their response has been the big brush-off. I'm not even sure Senator Levin read the letter he responded to, his response was so generic, and there was no response from Senator Stabenow's office. What do I want?
I want my representatives to keep their promise. I want to see President Obama step up and request that Congress do what they said they would do, since they seem to have forgotten already. I want to see him take the lead. I want to see our kids on the news, across the nation, so people will see and understand how this effects so many people. I want people to stop thinking that this is a problem that will be solved by parents shaving their heads and selling ribbons and lemonade. We do what we have to, but this has to be so much bigger than just us, despite the loud voices some of us have. I want a cure. I want no more children to die, and no more parents in this club, ever.

2 Re: My daughter in law Dawn on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:59 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Esther wrote:Braeden's mother recently wrote this letter.

I am a cancer mom. I am also a grieving mom. I am a member of a horrible, yet growing, club of parents who have lost a child to cancer. As such I am increasingly disillusioned by how I see the priorities of my country and by my elected officials. Let me preface this by saying that I will not delve into the "who deserves what more" debate--many groups of children need help, all are deserving. Rather, it is a commentary on the situation from my perspective, as I see it. It was, however, the disaster in Haiti and the response to it that escalated this contemplation. So many people and so many organizations were so quick to respond to the horror in Haiti. It was an amazing thing to see, and yet I'm left wondering why Haiti's children get the attention our own children do not. Childhood cancer isn't a global disaster. It's not? Some 80-100,000 children worldwide die of cancer every year. It isn't an issue of national interest. It should be. In the United States today, childhood cancer is the number one disease killer of our children--claiming more lives than pediatric AIDS, cystic fibrosis, and asthma combined. These kids aren't splashed all over the news and being featured by tv and radio hosts. Why not? Why aren't these brave kids featured on tv and radio specials? Why isn't research funded better? Why don't our own elected officials take this issue seriously? In 2008, our Congress UNANIMOUSLY passed legislation promising $30 million a year for childhood cancer research and initiatives. The first year following that legislation, barely $5 million of the promised amount was appropriated. The impression I am left with is that it is politically expedient to vote for the legislation, since saying no to helping children fighting cancer would look terrible on record, but in the end building libraries for dead politicians, building nature trails and studying fish are much more important. Democrats and Republicans have failed equally here, and at least in my state of Michigan, their response has been the big brush-off. I'm not even sure Senator Levin read the letter he responded to, his response was so generic, and there was no response from Senator Stabenow's office. What do I want?
I want my representatives to keep their promise. I want to see President Obama step up and request that Congress do what they said they would do, since they seem to have forgotten already. I want to see him take the lead. I want to see our kids on the news, across the nation, so people will see and understand how this effects so many people. I want people to stop thinking that this is a problem that will be solved by parents shaving their heads and selling ribbons and lemonade. We do what we have to, but this has to be so much bigger than just us, despite the loud voices some of us have. I want a cure. I want no more children to die, and no more parents in this club, ever.

Esther has she sent this letter out yet to any of them? I hope she and others can make a difference and open the politicians hearts to getting the help these kids so much deserve. Dawn has good writing talent and makes a good argument..........I hope they listen. Our children are our future and should be the most important people in this country's lives. W/o them we have no hope and they don't deserve to be left to die w/o the greatest of efforts by our government. I don't know what it will take.

zone 7
View user profile

3 Re: My daughter in law Dawn on Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:20 am

Mikey

Minnow
Minnow
I recall reading what one research scientist said relative to the money that goes into cancer research. The writer felt that the research was not at all organized and the money was not being used wisely due to a duplication of efforts and resources.

They all fight for money and they all basically work independently going down unfruitful paths that others have already been down. There's very little communication. Just for breast cancer alone there are many independent research groups out there all doing the same stuff and wasting many millions of dollars by duplicating tests.

View user profile

4 Re: My daughter in law Dawn on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:59 am

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Very well said and written, but you know politicians. They all came out for Hurricane Katrina, when we in southeast Texas got our asses kicked by Hurricane Ike we didn't hear a peep out of anyone. We all pulled together clearing the roads.

Haiti cleared the runway for the Clintons and toured them around. Food and water were stacked up at the airport and guarded while the people did without.

Politicians make me sick, they waste money on bullshit but won't stand by their promises for things like this that matter.

5 Re: My daughter in law Dawn on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:07 am

texasjoe

I am as sympathetic as anyone when it comes to disasters but I think it is time that we stop trying to save the world and help the people in our own country. As you said, NOBODY helped after Ike. My mother lived in Bridge City and didn't get a single bit of help from the government. We pulled up our boot strings and did it ourselves. This country stop trying to save the damn world and help it's people here would reduce the national debt and would make this a better country. The greed in this country is horrendous. After a ship had a collision with another ship and developed an oil leak, the blacks the very same day here were talking about suing. They lived BLOCKS away from the area affected but found it to be a means of making free money. This country has it's priorities screwed up....from the president on down.

View user profile

6 Re: My daughter in law Dawn on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:54 am

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Not meaning to take away from Esther's post, but for those of you who don't live in this area, you really have no idea of what TexasJoe is saying. Sabine Pass is a small town on the coast, it got wiped out by a hurricane recently. A church announced that they would be giving the residents of Sabine Pass a $100.00 card for food and supplies.

The people from Port Arthur clogged the streets demanding their money, it was truly disgusting. I try not to look at a whole group of people with a jaded eye but seeing the milking of the people by this one group just pisses me off.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum