Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another meal for Gilda's

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Another meal for Gilda's on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
I roasted a turkey in my electric roaster, we didn't use for Thanksgiving. Pete and I stripped all the meat off the bones---got 7 pounds of pure meat. Then I made up about a gallon of gravey. I had injected a mixture of garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, parsley, rosemary, onion powder, Butter Buds and chicken broth into the meat all over before roasting. Then I dumped in diced celery, onion and more garlic and the leftover above mix of herbs into the cavity. I dumped in a large can of chicken broth and set the thing to cooking. Above the line of where the drippings were, it had browned real dark on the sides of the pan. So I added in some more water, turkey gravey mix, ground up the celery and onions and dumped that in, which brought the liquid level up almost above the browned on drippings on the sides and it began to soften and cause the mixture to get a nice brown. Boy is that good. We dumped all the turkey in the gravey so I don't have to take two separate pans. I have a large crock pot with about 9 lbs of mashed potatoes, another crock pot with canned corn, a huge pan of rolls made from Logan's rolls trimmings, and orange jello with lemon pudding on top. The dessert is going to be a bananna cake mix dooded up with crushed banannas and placed in two jelly roll pans to make two thin layers. Then there'll be a filling --kind of a cross between frosting and pudding. Sure hope I can pull it off. LOL.

2 Re: Another meal for Gilda's on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:02 pm

rosebud

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
Esther, you just love to torture us, don't you?! That sounds soooo goood!

ex[drool]

View user profile

3 Re: Another meal for Gilda's on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:57 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Whoa MaMa that sounds delicious and then some

zone 7
View user profile

4 Re: Another meal for Gilda's on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:50 am

Lari

Minnow
Minnow
My turn to ask a silly question. What's/Who are Gilda's?

The meal sounds delicious.

View user profile

5 Re: Another meal for Gilda's on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:40 am

fishlipsmcgee

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
Gildas club offers support to cancer patients and their families. It was founded in memory of Gilda Radner who you may remember from Saturday Night Live in the '80s. She was a native of Detroit and was a victim of cancer. I'm sure Esther will be able to tell you more about it. http://www.gildasclub.org/

Sounds like a delicious meal Esther. And yes, if anyone can pull it off, you can!

"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth."--Ronald Reagan
View user profile

6 Re: Another meal for Gilda's on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:47 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Gilda's is an organization that is all over the US. Ours here was able to purchase a huge old farmhouse on the west side of Grand Rapids. They must have been pretty wealthy though because it is VERY elegant compared to my old farm house. Anyway somewhere along the line that house was purchased by Catholics to use to house priests in training so had been redone to handle larger groups than a typical family. For instance it has a huge kitchen and eating area and the rooms upstairs are great for large groups, gathering for classes and fun times.

I think that because there are so many women with breast cancer, they also have classes during the day for various cancer support groups.

My son Kevin and his wife Dawn are attending grief counseling classes on Wednesday nights with their family because their 3 year old son died in April after a 2 year struggle with Neuroblastoma Cancer. Even though the two adults don't feel they NEED the counseling so much, they were concerned that their kids might, so this would give them all a way to be with others of their ages and be able to talk about what they were experiencing and have guidance from the teachers.

The people who attend are given a supper meal that is brought in by volunteers. I like to cook so have done a meal for 30 for three months now. It takes me most of a day or parts of two days to get it shopped for, cooked, and then prepared to transport. I take it all hot and ready to serve but I could cook it there, or drop it off with instructions for cooking. I arrive at 5:15 and the workers there scoop it into serving bowls, cover it with plastic wrap and put it on a cart to take up to the dining room on the elevator. They have heated trays that the bowls sit on so it stays warm. The people eat at 5:30 and start the classes at 6. Sometimes they have special speakers. Sometimes it is totally discussion about a certain topic. Sometimes they even squeeze in a craft. The kids often do crafts. Owen is a year and they have sitters for the little ones.

All of this is free to the people who come for help. They do a great job and everyone there is very nice and friendly.

7 Re: Another meal for Gilda's on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:34 pm

Lari

Minnow
Minnow
Thanks.

I do remember Gilda Radner and new she died with cervical cancer. And I did know there was a foundation of sorts named in her honor to help fight cancer and raise awareness. I just wasn't aware of how big or widespread it had gotten, or that they had places like that. Sounds like a great group you have there.

View user profile

8 Re: Another meal for Gilda's on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:35 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Somewhere I read that they have 21 locations but I don't know if that is right.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum