Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nature's seasonal pond

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Nature's seasonal pond on Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:45 pm

I have a friend (Debbie), that owns some property in Salkum, Washington with a seasonal wetland pond down on the lower end of her property. It usually is totally dried up by the middle of July. In it's prime during the winter months the pond itself is approx. 20' x 50' x 4' deep. It's in a wooded setting with endless wildlife all around the pond.

We go down to our friends property to help keep the growth cleared back, and keep nature from over running the meadow above the pond. I keep telling our Debbie, that we need to rent a back hoe to give the pond a more even depth and then put a large pond liner in it so that it would have water in it all year round.

I know, Im' just dreamimg.

Happy ponding,

Rich

2 Re: Nature's seasonal pond on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:28 am

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Maybe if it were just deeper it would hold the water w/o the liner? It's fun to dream tho isn't it? Sleep

zone 7
View user profile

3 pond on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:45 pm

This pond dries up because the ground there appears to be bog like with a peat subsiol. The mud in the bottum is about 12" deep, and peat under that.

Would be fun to make into a year round nature pond for the local wild life.

Happy ponding,

Rich

4 Re: Nature's seasonal pond on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:41 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Would you have to get permission to do that? Around here it seems like you can't touch natural stuff at all to change it. I don't know if it just is to keep wetlands wet or if you were making a wetland more wet.

5 seasonal pond on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:26 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
I suppose you are right Esther. The EPA has to have their fingers in everything these days. As isolated as this area is with trees all around, it wouldn't hard to modify the landscape without the EPA being alerted.

Happy ponding,

View user profile http://www.picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum