Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gold the New Pink

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gold the New Pink Empty Gold the New Pink Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:21 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Just so no one misunderstands this Avatar, my son and his wife have come up with this to try to spread awareness for Pediatric Cancer. The idea is not to take away from the breast cancer awareness but to try to make gold as recognizable for childhood cancer as Pink is to breast cancer.

Gold the New Pink GoldthenewPink

Dawn asked me is we'd be available to babysit in the afternoon a couple of times in the next two weeks. She said that two little Neuroblastoma patients weren't expected to make it and she wanted to go to the funerals.

2Gold the New Pink Empty Re: Gold the New Pink Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:46 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Janice, you wouldn't believe how they are getting into this awareness thing and the fund raisers. But then, like anything else, we usually don't become involved until we are affected personally.

Just Friday night they spoke at a fund raiser for a group here that is called PORT. They are an extension of Spectrum Hospital but not funded by it. They do whatever they can to make the stay of the pediatric oncology patient a little better by giving them pillow cases, fleece blankets, bravery beads (every time the patient has any type of procedure they get a bead to add to their string), and birthday gifts. The parents are given vouchers that can be spent at the cafeteria. They put on little parties for holidays and all sorts of things to entertain the kids. Last year, some of the local hockey team toured the rooms and also a bunch of race car drivers. PORT has to raise their own money so they had a Winter Night Out with a huge appetizer and dessert table, a silent auction, a live auction, and a comedian. I embroidered and made 6 golf towels that I donated, 4 dozen chocolate covered Oreos that I put in 4 "date night" baskets with other snacky type foods, and one girl baby basket with a burp cloth, changing pad, bib, onsie, insulated bottle wrap, little girl diaper cover, and small fleece blanket. Most had embroidery of some sort.
They have two websites that are connected WWW.superbub.org and WWW.goldthenewpink.net . They both contian info about events and links to help sites + Bub's story.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum