Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Get Out of that Food Rut! Around the World in 80 Dishes.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Get out of that food rut!

Food is wonderful. I love a well-prepared meal. But sometimes my eating habits can get into a rut.

Often, we eat the same things because that's what we like. Or, it's the only thing we know how to cook. Either way, it might be time to broaden our horizons.

Epicurious.com is hosting Around the World in 80 Dishes. This is a compendium of representative dishes from various countries. A new one is added each week.

Each dish has a detailed recipe. There is also a video showing the preparation. And you can read user reviews of how it tasted.

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/80dishes

zone 7
View user profile

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Took a look and joined. I liked the idea of the recipe box to store the recipes. It seems I have been looking up recipes, printing them out and then not saving them. I of course have an ancient cookbook of recipes that I've used for years. So now I think I'm going to add them to this online collection. When I have more time I'm going to look that site over a lot better. I already added the Hootycreeks to it. By the way, they were good and I think a person could down size the calories without too much trouble.

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Glad you like it and I prolly can't eat all the recipes cuz of my low carb diet and the cookies you made sound wonderful but alas it is the carbs not the calories that I must count. :ex[sad24]:

zone 7
View user profile

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
I know. UM so what do you goo nuts, craisins, and white chocolate together with. You can't have any flour/starchey stuff, is that how it is? HEYYYY egg whites!!! Mix them in a meringue.

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I can eat all meat unless they have cereal added and some kinds of nuts like peanuts, macadamia, walnuts,almonds etc. but cashews which are of course my favorite I can't have many of cuz of too many carbs. Anything w/ more than say 3 grams of added sugar per serving is a no no. I can eat some veggies such as green beans, broccoli, cauliflower. I use almonds to make almond flour so I can make peanut butter cookies and other kinds of cookies instead of flour. I do cheat sometimes and use the full fat plain yogurt (with the whey drained off) and add a lg box of sugar free chocolate pudding to it and add some cream cheese and mix it all up to make a yummy mousse and top it with some cool whip. Sometimes it's a bit too thick so I add some liquid chocolate Sugar free sweetener to lighten it up. I really do love it. I can eat cheese and pork rinds,eggs, low carb tortillas from Wal-mart. I mostly eat chocolate protein drinks for breakfast and lunch. I also can eat Sugar free candies that some are lo carb. I've been doing this diet for so long I pretty much know everything I can eat really well. It's the cheating that gets me sometime ex[dunno So like if I was gonna have a dinner I could fix a steak and have some broccoli w/ cheese sauce and some over cooked cauliflower mashed up like potatoes w/ butter on it and a diet pop and peanut butter cookies for dessert......not so bad eh? ex[smile2] I can eat some fruits like strawberries, watermelon, blueberries and pretty much all the berries. I have to stay away from bananas, grapes, oj's but I can eat cantaloupe, honeydews and once in awhile an apple. I can eat butter, mayo, S.F catsup and bbq sauce which I make myself. Actually there is lots that I can eat but I hunger for chips, fries, candy bars and all the bad stuff. If I just cheat once in awhile I can curb it but if I get outta hand I will put the weight on fast and it's harder to get it off again ex[surprise]

zone 7
View user profile

fishlipsmcgee

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
JW, try Weight Watchers. You can follow it online. There are food trackers where you enter what you ate and it will figure the points for you, recipes galore, message boards and online help. It is a healthy diet because you eat from all food groups and you will not have those cravings. You can even eat a candy bar if you want, you just have to count it towards your weekly points and you will still lose weight. You can even follow it to maintain your weight if you don't want to lose more. Check our their web site.

Now back on topic. ex[happy] I love the Epicurious web site. The recipes are from Bon Appetit and Gourmet magazines.

"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth."--Ronald Reagan
View user profile

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
My stepdaughter lost 65 pounds using the online Weight Watchers program. Didn't cost her anything. She found that during the winter she had begun to gain again so started charting her eating again to get back on track and it worked just fine. I think that any diet will work. It's just me that doesn't.

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
fishlipsmcgee wrote:JW, try Weight Watchers. You can follow it online. There are food trackers where you enter what you ate and it will figure the points for you, recipes galore, message boards and online help. It is a healthy diet because you eat from all food groups and you will not have those cravings. You can even eat a candy bar if you want, you just have to count it towards your weekly points and you will still lose weight. You can even follow it to maintain your weight if you don't want to lose more. Check our their web site.

Now back on topic. ex[happy] I love the Epicurious web site. The recipes are from Bon Appetit and Gourmet magazines.

Thanks fishlips and I'm gonna take a look at the site and see if it will work for me................I'm kind of a picky eater but it sounds like you can mix and match to fit your needs maybe?

zone 7
View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum