Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Well, I survived!

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Well, I survived! on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:16 pm

Bartender

Minnow
Minnow
I survived the 65th anniversary celebration we held on Saturday for my in-laws! I believe it turned out beautiful, even if I do say so myself!

The cake was fabulous, flowers gorgeous, and even my speech wasn't too shabby!

Of course, I have spent most of yesterday and today lying in bed, but that is a small price to pay for such great people.

I'll post a few pics when I get them from my bro-in-law/the photographer.

View user profile http://www.marykay.com/andismith/default.aspx

2 Re: Well, I survived! on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:34 pm

Mikey

Minnow
Minnow
65 years! Wow

View user profile

3 Re: Well, I survived! on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:39 am

Bartender

Minnow
Minnow
Yep, 65 years. The best part of the entire day: after pretty much everyone had left, and we were cleaning up, Dad sat in a chair in the middle of the floor, and started singing to Mom. At that moment, there was no one else in that room!! It was just the two of them, so in love, all over again!! I wish I would have had my cell phone or something to have videoed it.

Here they are, still just two crazy kids in love:

4 Re: Well, I survived! on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:42 am

rosebud

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
Wow, Bartender! 65 years! That is totally awesome! And if looks mean anything, it appears that marriage agrees with them. They both look great! Ain't luv grand!

:[IMG]http://i2

View user profile

5 Re: Well, I survived! on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:47 am

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
That's wonderful, 65 years is incredible.

6 Re: Well, I survived! on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:17 pm

Bartender

Minnow
Minnow
Indeed, it does agree with them!!

They were surprised, I think, by my speech, and that I had done some homework. Then, afterward--before I could hand off the mic to the next person, Dad asked for the mic, and he quoted Ann Landers' saying "Are you better off with, or without" them. He said it always came up with...he said: "in fact, there's never been any withouts".

Everytime someone else calls to tell Mom how great the event was, she calls to tell me how much they loved my speech! LOL. One of her friends said (about me): "Her speech was excellent. That girl is smart"! ex[giggle] I thought that was hilarious!!!

7 Re: Well, I survived! on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:22 pm

Bartender

Minnow
Minnow
Oh, also, Dad told how when he first saw Mom, he said that she was the girl he wanted to marry. "So I did"!

Can you believe, she was 17 and he was 21 when the first photo was taken, and she is now 81 and he is 86? The certainly don't act like it! They are so active, it is amazing!

8 Re: Well, I survived! on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:29 pm

rosebud

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
Any chance you'd share your speech with us? I'd like to hear it.
ex[nod]

View user profile

9 Re: Well, I survived! on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:38 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
That's so cool Bartender.......may they have many more years together

zone 7
View user profile

10 Re: Well, I survived! on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:10 am

Bartender

Minnow
Minnow
rosebud wrote:Any chance you'd share your speech with us? I'd like to hear it.
ex[nod]

If ya promise not to laugh! ex[giggle]

11 Re: Well, I survived! on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:25 am

Bartender

Minnow
Minnow
Let me start by thanking you all for joining us to celebrate Winfred and Yvonne Smith’s 65th anniversary.

If I may, I’d like to ask everyone to close your eyes…just for a moment. Eyes closed? Eyes closed? Everyone, eyes closed? Helen Keller said “The best and most beautiful things in the word cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt.” Can you feel the love here in this room? Can you feel it? (I actually got multiple "Amen's" here!)

Allow me to tell you a quick love story. Of course, this has to be the ‘Reader’s Digest’ version, because there is no way to sum up 65 years in just 3-5 minutes!

Once upon a time, in a little town far away…15 year old Albert Neudauer was accidentally shot while rabbit hunting with a friend. Albert and his family resided at 316 Adams St. Also, Mr. and Mrs. Massingill were the proud parents of an 8 ½ lb bouncing baby boy, born at the Pantex Hospital.

On a more universal front, World War II was in full swing. Americans had been captured by the Nazi’s, and were marched off to their deaths, just as if they were Jews. Franklin D. Roosevelt was President of the United States. All of those things were news items on January 1, 1945.

Also happening on that day in Borger, Texas…without any fanfare, no ado… a young man and a young woman were married at the parson’s cottage. There was no wedding. No celebration. NO CAKE! They just went on home to their little apartment above the drug store.

But you see that did not matter. It didn’t matter because that young couple was certain of what they most wanted in life: to live happily ever after. They agreed “for better or worse”. Along the way they have encountered a bit of both.

We will not dwell on the “for worse” today. We can’t ignore that there were times that were less than perfect, because those times are part of what brought us here; but we are all here today to celebrate the “better”!

That young couple made a life together that has withstood the test of time. They chose to live by Colossians 3:14—“Clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. Also, I’m sure Pawpaw chose to live by Groucho Marx’s rule: “A husband who wants a happy marriage should learn to keep his mouth shut and his wallet open”.

In September, 1959, the Smiths went from being a couple to being a family, with the birth of Paula. Six years later in December, came Kenneth (my husband). I wasn’t born into the Smith family, but I got here as soon as I could! I’m guessing this is where the old Proverb came into play: Marriage halves our griefs, doubles our joys, and quadruples our expenses”.

Seriously, if you will look at Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Smitty and Yvonne, Mom and Dad, or Nana and Pawpaw, and Paula and Kenneth, you will get a clearer picture of what true love is: It is surviving whatever life brings your way…together… one day at a time.

Since that January day long ago, there have been many more news items: more Albert Neudauers, more Massingill babies, more wars fought, wars ended, different presidents, etc. And quietly, without much fanfare, little ado, that young man and that young woman are living proof that love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.

Nana and Pawpaw, I hope that you have an idea of just how much you mean to me. How much I love you both. Thank you for accepting me into your family.

****Pretend to walk away here****

Oh, wait, did I tell you the ending to the story? Do you think I forgot? Of course, who could forget any part of such a beautiful love story?

But you see: there is no end. This is all part of the “happily ever after”!

The bold indicates my emphasis. The news items were taken from The Borger Daily Herald, from Borger, Texas, on Jan 1 1945. I had called and asked them to send me the archives. There really was an Albert Neudauer and Mr. and Mrs. Massingill.

12 Re: Well, I survived! on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:43 am

rosebud

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
Wow, Bartender! I'm impressed! I got all choked up and I'm not even part of the family! Thanks for sharing it!

View user profile

13 Re: Well, I survived! on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:03 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
My eyes are flooding and I too am choked up...................you done real good and I can sure feel the love in your words girl :[IMG]http://i2 I bet your hubby's family is glad he picked you ex[nod]

zone 7
View user profile

14 Re: Well, I survived! on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:06 pm

Bartender

Minnow
Minnow
Thanks, Rosebud and JW. There was just really so much more to say, just not enough time to say it.

I knew from the beginning (back in September, when I first tried to get this going) that I wanted to give some sort of speech. Of course, the procrastinator in me won over, and I started working on it last Friday afternoon, about 4pm. After going to some friends' house for dinner, I came home and put the finishing touches together by about 3:30 a.m. Saturday morning. The event started at 2 p.m.! I only shared a little of it with Hubby before "Go Time", because I figured he would try to get all technical on me or something--but he didn't. No one else had any idea what I would say.

I can write, even though my "style" is to write like I speak. I can also speak before a large crowd--in an informal setting. Usually if I have to speak in a formal setting, I get very nervous and self conscious.

This was so different though, and I cannot explain it. I just went and grabbed the mic, got the crowd's attention, and off I went. I didn't faze me that I had some 75+ people staring at me! It was even really cool when I got crowd participation!

I guess it was all so easy because I love these people so much. Talking about them is just so natural, and I don't wait for special occaisions to talk about them, or to tell them how much I love them!

15 Re: Well, I survived! on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:08 pm

Bartender

Minnow
Minnow
A few pics of the event:

Sorry, some of the pics didn't rotate. Still, you get the idea. A few more in the next post.

16 Re: Well, I survived! on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:15 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Turned out really nice and the cake is cool! Looks like somebody took a little sample of the cake beforehand. They look like a happy, lively couple. The little guy under the table is a cutie ex[happy]

zone 7
View user profile

17 Re: Well, I survived! on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:17 pm

Bartender

Minnow
Minnow

18 Re: Well, I survived! on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:25 pm

Lari

Minnow
Minnow
Looks like a Wonderful celebration!