Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

My baby parakeets have HATCHED!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 My baby parakeets have HATCHED!! on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:33 am

The pair of birds I've had out in the yard since summer, they laid eggs some weeks back and have been incubating them. I knew the eggs hatched a couple of weeks ago, by listening to the cries and peeps of the baby birds.

But I've been unable to look in the box because, stupidly, it was made with no viewing door.

Yesterday I finally peeked inside. There are three babies, just like we guessed (we were guessing from the strength of the cries, three babies of three different ages). So cute, and about a week away from leaving the nest. If I can keep them warm enough, which is a worry.

Below is a link to my Breeding Journal (no photos, though. If you want to see photos, go to the second link - a fabulous account of birth and growth of budgies). The part where I finally viewed the babies is toward the bottom of the third page.

My Journal:

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=45784

Susan's Journal
http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=33121

View user profile

2 Re: My baby parakeets have HATCHED!! on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:56 am

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
We put a heat lamp near the nest boxes but not too close. The parents do a good job of keeping them warm and it hasn't gotten that cold yet. Being as crafty as you are making elf doors and such you could easily build nest boxes that the entire top comes off. It's just a box and the lid can either have hinges or some small stops so it doesn't fall off or on the babies. Congratulations Momma.

3 Re: My baby parakeets have HATCHED!! on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:42 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
That's just too cool, Cool Chools...........Oh and nice to meet you and welcome! I'm jw and I had parakeets years ago. They are so sweet and I love to hear their little chitter chatting. I had a brother and sister pair that I received from someone and I had no idea they would mate and lay and egg on the floor of the cage. It did hatch but w/o a nesting box and proper care it didn't live long. When I was a kid I had one that would chase me around the house through the kitchen and back through the dining room and round and round it would fly after me. She/He? used to fly right smack dab into my mashed potatoes at dinner time............really bothered my parents I could tell but they put up w/ it, me being the only child and spoiled rotten to the core :[IMG]/hidelaug

zone 7
View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum