Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Frogs, frogs, frogs everywhere, but here?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

This last week I have been hearing frogs at work, and other locations. So far, my frogs haven't made a sound or showed up in or anywhere around my pond. I can't help but to wonder if they didn't make it through this last winter. I know that are instincively smart enough to dig in deep for the winter hybernation.

Happy ponding, ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog]

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

We have toads in the big pond, toads in the little pond, toads on the pool cover and the males are singing for all they're worth, trying to attract a possible mate. It's funny to listen to because some of them I think are young because they have a funny creaky song, like they need to practice a bit.

Oh I did see one frog in the big pond. I have no idea where he came from because we are about a quarter mile from any water. But he may have made the winter out there. Pete said that when he cleaned the leaves out of the little pond two weeks ago (no fish there in the winter) that there was a frog that kept burrowing under the leaves in the water. So he tossed it into the big pond across the boardwalk and we never saw it again until yesterday. I'm so glad to have a frog. One year we had two large ones, a male and a female and then we saw a young one. They were Freddie and Freda, and I don't remember what I called the other. But the next spring, they must have died during the winter because they were floating bottom side up. Freddie would get inside the Skippy which is next to a flowering plum tree. That was the year of the Japanese beetles. I'd catch beetles and toss them in the water right by Freddie and he's eat 'em. So he soon learned I would feed him. Later I'd find frog poops on the driveway or sidewalk and they'd be full of shiny beetle wings and I knew it was Freddie wandering around in the dark. We keep a light on by the pond because it sits at the end of our sidewalk by the porch and I worry that someone might fall in at night. Also it's fun to watch the fish at night. Well one night, I saw Freddie up on the boardwalk by the light catching bugs that came to the light. Also one of my big Koi named Tiger would come by the light and jump up to get the bugs around the light. But Tiger died a year ago winter when I lost all 10 of my big guys. Sunshine was the largest at 22" and 4 pounds. Most were close in size.

3Frogs, frogs, frogs everywhere, but here? Empty Would like to have a dozen or more. Sat May 01, 2010 5:02 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

I wished I could transplant a dozen or more of the native Cascadia frogs that we have around her. They are so hard to get close enough to catch. The Cascadia's that we have here get about four inches long at the most.

Can you spare some of yours? Just kidding. I have been trying to find frogs for sale on the internet, but they are so expensive. I'll just have to keep trying to catch what I can.

Happy ponding,

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Do you have grandkids? Or neighbor kids? Tell 'em you'll give them .50 or whatever for each frog they bring. Make sure they know the difference between frogs and toads. Toads are easy to catch.

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

We have an abundance of toads....every morning I have to pull at least a couple out of the skimmer basket. (the record is 6). Our resident bullfrog has returned again, along with 2 other smaller frogs that are around the pond but elusive and not always seen.
There are about 3 bajillion toadpoles swimming in the pond currently as nothing will eat them.
This should insure a good population of the little bug-eaters for the rest of the summer ex[frog]

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

I heard that toad tadpoles do not taste good. Can't speak from experience though, last year was the same way.
We figured on being "over-run" with toads, but they have a way of dispersing and disappearing into the yard so that we don't see too many until next spring when the mating urges strike again. (just checked the skimmer and found 2) ex[wink1]

7Frogs, frogs, frogs everywhere, but here? Empty Not enough frogs to share? Sun May 02, 2010 6:50 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

I wouldn't mind having a frog problem. I like the sound of them. Last night I was alone doing a perimeter check out at Sand Point where the National Weather Service is, and I could hear at a bajillion frogs. It was almost defening. Couldn't find a single frog.

Happy ponding, ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[croc]

8Frogs, frogs, frogs everywhere, but here? Empty Frogs, I think................ Thu May 06, 2010 4:21 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

ahhhhhhh, As I patrol the shore line at Lake Union in the land of OZ, (Emerald City-Seattle) at the 'Northwest Fisheries Scientifc Center', I can hear frogs but can't see them. Even if I could see them, I wouldn't be able to catch them. Wished I could.

Happy ponding,

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum