Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Just what you wanted to see

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Just what you wanted to see on Sat May 08, 2010 5:33 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Another pond...And you've seen mine many times. But I couldn't resist the Ajuga.

The waterfall and filter have been up and running now two weeks. As you might remember, all my fish died but one, the winter of 2008/9. The largest was 22" and 4 pounds. The other 9 were not much smaller. My stepdaughter gave me some of her goldfish and I have 4 small Koi. There is one fish who made that bad winter but all I can do it guess where it came from. I had a pure white male scaleless butterfly. I say male because I've seen the way he behaves at spawning time. This fish is flesh colored, kinda off white, he has butterfly fins and tail but no barbells I can see. He's getting bigger than most of the goldfish I've seen and we didn't buy him. I wonder if he is a cross from Pearl and a goldfish. I dunno.

2 Re: Just what you wanted to see on Sat May 08, 2010 10:06 pm

rosebud

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
Beautiful, Esther! Really beautiful! You must have worked very hard on it!

ex[thumbup]

View user profile

3 Re: Just what you wanted to see on Sat May 08, 2010 10:13 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I just love your pond and the Ajuga is growing beautifully ex[nod] Now what is that hoop for under the waterfall? Now is that small floating ring made from pipe insulation cuz I was thinking of doing that myself. I have a big black ring made from plastic pipe but haven't tried the insulation one yet. I sooooooooooooo love your waterfall and I wish mine looked like that but I don't have the room where it is set up right now unless I redid a bunch and I don't think I need a big project like that on my list right now es[uhuh]

zone 7
View user profile

4 Re: Just what you wanted to see on Sat May 08, 2010 11:22 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Rosebud thanks for the nice compliment. Yes, the pond is a lot of work. But I don't regret it ever. WELLLLL, maybe once in a while. LOL. But as long as we can take care of it, we'll keep it going. I have no idea what we'll do with all those rocks if we get rid of it. Well maybe fill in the hole with them. Uhhuh....I started out with a small pond for two summers but had to bring the fish in to a 55 gallon aquarium. Then the Koi grew too large and we knew they wouldn't fit in the tank the next winter so 2002 or 3, Pete dug this one.

The ring if the fish's dining room table and the half circle at the base of the falls is to hold back some splash and ripples. Yes it is made from pipe insulation, the type that has a self stick surface. I like it better for the fish because they don't splash the food out of it as quickly as the hula hoop ring I used to use. But since all my big guys died, there isn't so much fish splashing going on with the little ones. I have to use a ring to contain the floating fish food, because my pump is almost too large for my volumn of water but it sure helps to keep the water clear and the surface too. Guess it's better being too big than too small.

5 Re: Just what you wanted to see on Sun May 09, 2010 12:37 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Esther I had to look closely to see if those ducks were real............still not sure That's a cute little pond. Is that a picture of your first little pond or is that attached to the big one somehow? That one plant in a pot looks like a houseplant. Do you know the name of it...........looks kinda like Pothos (Devils Ivy)which I have lots of and does it grow in shade or sun out there? You have so many cool ideas ex[cool]

zone 7
View user profile

6 Re: Just what you wanted to see on Sun May 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Guess my explanation wasn't too clear. The little pond was my fist one. The ducks are fake. And I have no idea what the plant is that you're referring to. In the water, I suspect it was hyacinth maybe or water lettuce. I forget, that was back 2003 or so I guess. The pond now takes up pretty much the space where the little pond was and then runs parallel to the house front. We put in the boardwalk in front of that huge rock and in front of the porch.

7 Re: Just what you wanted to see on Sun May 09, 2010 2:50 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
My head is stuffed up w/ a cold so I'll use that as a good excuse for not understanding that that was your first little pond. Anyway now that I look closer at the plants in the pot...............maybe it's not a pot but a ring w/ Hyacinth like your said. I was hoping it was the Pothos plant but I did find out that it can't grow in full sun so forget that idea. Do you use the mosquito dunks to keep them outta your water containers? I do but I'm wondering if there is something better that you might use

zone 7
View user profile

8 Re: Just what you wanted to see on Sun May 09, 2010 4:57 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
No mosquito dunks. Fish. I rescued 5 feeder fish from a wedding reception a year ago last summer and put them in the little pots and ponds. There's another preform in the back yard. Then come winter, I put them all in the big pond. Now I just have to catch them again and distribute them around. Wish me luck. Actually I had 8 little fish. I feel sorry for them when they're alone so always use two in a pot.

But you're right. That does look like Pothos in a pot. Nope, just a ring.

9 Re: Just what you wanted to see on Sun May 09, 2010 5:05 pm

Lari

Minnow
Minnow
Very Pretty. And please keep posting pictures at different times of the year. I promise to always enjoy them.

View user profile

10 Re: Just what you wanted to see on Sun May 09, 2010 5:47 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
The above picture with both ponds must have been later on last year as the Ajuga blossom was gone but there were lily blossoms in the big pond and the roses were blossoming.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum