Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower Empty DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:13 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

Take four oblong flower boxes

Drill 100 - 1/4" holes in THREE of them (they stack so you only have to drill them once)
Cut 6- lengths of 3" pvc pipe about 4" long. This may vary depending on how deep your window boxes are. What they are used for is that a pair of them are placed on end in one tray and the tray above sits on them. This puts all the weight in the bottom and not on each tray. Less tippy. Partially fill the bottom three with 1 cu. ft. lava rock or feather rock and put Matala or similar pads (we have quilt batting at the moment to filter out green water algae) in the top tray. Feed water at the top and let it trickle down and exit the bottom tray.

There are lots of ways to mod this to make it usable in your situation; for example on one we did the return using the shower drain because it was going to sit over the pond. Other ways would be to have drains running out the side of the bottom tray or maybe a waterfall type weir. You just want to make sure your return will handle the volume your trying to run thru it. We are running about 16-1800gph thru it but it will handle the full 2400gph capability of the pump and its working extremely well.

Video of the two we have so far in operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXF4orXAvmo

2DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower Empty Re: DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

I haven't heard much talk about TTs in the last few years.

I had one a while back made out of a large strawberry pot filled with lava rock sitting on a plant stand in the middle of the pond. The pump was suspended under the pot and the water was pushed up through PVC pipe in the center and through a fountain head to trickle back down and out through the various openings in the jar. I don't know why I took it out. I guess I decided it was overkill with the 100 gallon Skippy and one more thing to take care of and pay the electric bill to run the pump.

This was my first pond. It was tiny. When we built the bigger pond, I used the same TT for a while.

DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower Trickl10

3DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower Empty Re: DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:06 am

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

Esther, I really like that strawberry pot idea. did you ever bare root some plants in the holes?
I might have to try that on something sometime.
Thanks!
DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower 977453

4DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower Empty Re: DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:47 am

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Warning, warning----about bare roots in areas of filter media or lava rock!!!! es[uhuh] affraid DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower 868486 DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower 11898 DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower 932701 DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower 32759 DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower 376463 DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower 31712 ex[surprise]
Get the idea?? I did that in the top of my Skippy a few years ago and WHAT A MESS!!! The plants loved it and sent roots all over through, around and inside the media there. I tried to clean it out in the fall and finally gave up and pitched the media and started with new. The next year I put the plants in plastic buckets to contain the roots and sat them in the Skippy.

Another negative about bare rooting flowering plants----when the blossoms drop off, they end up in the water.

I saw where someone had stacked just round plant pots and lava rock in the center of the pond with the water going up through PVC like mine too for a TT.

5DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower Empty Re: DIY Flower Box Trickle Tower Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:36 am

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Did I get my point across?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]