Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Here are some suggestions for inexpensive or free ways you can help.

September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month Childshandprintinpurple
Most of us know a family who have lost a child to cancer. It is one of the least known and least funded diseases out there; and often has a very low cure rate.

Some are giving up special things for the month and donating the money saved to various Childhood Cancer or research organizations. Some are "passing it on" by doing something special for a stranger and then giving them a brochure telling about childhood cancer and requesting that they pass the good deed on.

Here are some ideas that don't cost much or are free. Along with the deprivaton and monetary contribution, we should add in something for "Awareness". How about a sign or banner in our front yard. Run an ad in the newspaper or little local blabber, put a sign or banner on your grocery cart, encourage your family to join you in this effort, put a childhood cancer awareness magnet on your car, wear a wrist band, write a message on your car windows with window markers, post a sign in your work place, give brochures to total strangers or neighbors when you're out and about, buy & wear your childhood cancer awareness shirt all month when possible, send a message and reminder to everyone on your email list, and put a link or something about childhood cancer on the signature of your emails and forum posts. Organize an Awareness walk or join in on one. Imagine how many people we can make aware of the suffering of our children with cancer. And maybe some day we will see we've saved the lives of some of our little ones.

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

Esther, I'm sharing this on FB.

http://www.marykay.com/andismith/default.aspx

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Thanks. That is a good way to get the word around. Tomorrow is the first day of September and I haven't yet decided what things I want to do. I still have the sign I put up in the front yard last year so might as well do that. I already changed my avatars on the forums and did a thread like this one. I put a link on my email signature too about childhood cancer. Oh and last year I wrote on my car windows with a special glass marker doodad. I have magnets on it already and Pete doesn't like it. They aren't big like a bumper sticker but he hates the idea that we are trying to draw attention. He said the other day, kinda grumpy like, "What good do you think that is?" I told him that when I was trying to find my car the other day in the grocery store parking lot, I saw a man parking beside me and when he got out of his car, he looked for a minute at the Neurblastoma magnet. I know he was seeing it. Then a few days later, we were sitting in Wendy's and he said, "Look at that lady." I looked to see this lady standing and looking at the other side of my car where the magnet says something about curing childhood cancer. So I knew that at least a few people are seeing them. I have a Make a Wish magnet on the trunk, a Neuroblastoma one on each door, and the childhood cancer on on the front of the hood. They can't miss me. People probably get sick of hearing about it but----------too bad.

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

I agree Esther, you are doing a good thing.

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Thanks for understanding. You know, if it wasn't for my son and daughter in law being so involved----I wouldn't do this at all. But I want to be able to tell them I am backing up what they feel called to do.

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

Esther, if just one post, magnet, sign, conversation, or prayer can make a difference for even ONE CHILD, then I believe you've been successful!! It all starts with ONE!

I'm with you, and I re-posted the pic and link again today also.

http://www.marykay.com/andismith/default.aspx

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum