Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Taking comfort from a coat.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Taking comfort from a coat. Empty Taking comfort from a coat. Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:59 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

It's a strange thing. My best friend Rex died three weeks ago. I cleaned out his place and gave his clothes and family pictures to his son. But I kept one coat. I take comfort wearing it some how just knowing that he used to wear it and it is a link to him. Does anyone else have a hand me down that means something to them?

2Taking comfort from a coat. Empty Re: Taking comfort from a coat. Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:27 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

Before his passing, my Dad gave me his father's old railroad pocket watch that was made in the late 1800's. It doesn't work, and has a cracked porceline (sp) face, but it is something that brings back faint memories of my grandfather that passed away when I was three years old. Along with it a watch (hair) fob that was custom made for my grandmother that she gave to grandpa as a gift for his watch. This fob was made with gold end pieces and attchments, and grandma's braided auburn hair. It also has a tiny picture locket attached with her picture in it taken when she was quite young. These two items are now arranged and displayed in a glass globe in a display case in our living room. Definately something I plan on passing on the my son Richard Jr. along with some history about what I remember of them both.

ex[cry7]

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

3Taking comfort from a coat. Empty Re: Taking comfort from a coat. Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:06 pm

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

I have my Dad's old fishing tackle box with some VERY old lures in it. He surely did love to fish. I am the only one of my sisters who likes to fish so, when he died my Mom gave it to me. I guess it is really time for me to pass it on to my oldest son. I don't get to fish very much any more.
I also have an afghan that my Mom crocheted. I feel close to her when I curl up in it for a nap.
I also have my Dad's hair brush. It even has some of his hair still in it.

4Taking comfort from a coat. Empty taking comfort from a coat Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:44 pm

wolfmom

wolfmom

I have my mother's wedding ring, she passed away from cancer when I was barely 2. She was such a tiny thing, that ring won't even fit on my pinky finger. I also had my father's gold pocket watch given to him by my mother, but I passed that down to my son to remember him by.

5Taking comfort from a coat. Empty Re: Taking comfort from a coat. Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:50 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

I guess this is an after thought, but I am living in the house that I grew up in. My parents bought this house for $6,500.00 in 1948. I was away in the Marines for 12 years and moved back to house sit in 1981 and eventually bought the house from my parents. I have lived here almost 49 years now. You talk about a lot of good old memories.

ex[bike]

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

6Taking comfort from a coat. Empty Re: Taking comfort from a coat. Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:39 am

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

That just reminded me! We are living in the house my husband grew up in. In fact, his Dad built it himself. You're right, there are a lot of memories here for him. We've lived here for 32 years. When my father-in-law retired, they built a house by a lake and gave us this house. My mother-in-law was 6 ft. tall. I'm 5'3". All the kitchen cabinets are too high for me!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum