Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Obama's statement on Haiti

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Obama's statement on Haiti Empty Re: Obama's statement on Haiti Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:34 am

jaytee

jaytee

"Cruel" was a poor choice to use. No doubt a horrible event with many lives lost. Now I see where churches, the Red Cross, Salvation Army and others are asking for donations to send help to them. All fine and good except I don't expect the corrupt government there to help their own.

2Obama's statement on Haiti Empty Re: Obama's statement on Haiti Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:55 am

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

We have old friends who worked at an American school in Haiti about 25-30 years ago. He was our pastor's son then. So I looked up the Baptist Haiti Mission and because I remembered the lady's name, I was able to be sure I had found the right organization, so sent them some money. I know they will use it well. Here is a link. http://www.bhm.org/bhm/index.php

3Obama's statement on Haiti Empty Re: Obama's statement on Haiti Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:54 am

Mikey

Mikey
Minnow
Minnow

As you will soon read, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for the overall plight of the Haitians. I do feel bad they have lost so many lives in this disaster.

With respect to President Obama's comments: It's cruel in the sense that Haiti is already an extremely poor nation incapable of dealing with simple everyday problems let alone a major disaster.

It certainly isn't incomprehensible in that they obviously have very poor building codes, if any, and likely no significant inpections on whatever building codes they may have. Brick or concrete buildings built without re-bar is a disaster waiting to happen. They have no organized civil disaster organization other than what other humanitarian organizations such as the U.N., Red Cross, churches etc. provide.

My heart goes out to them because I hate seeing such human carnage caused by such a disaster. On the other hand, Haiti in my lifetime has always been a hell-hole, courtesy of the Haitians themselves. These people always seem to depend on the world to help them during non-disaster times.

They actually are on the same island as is the Dominican Republic. Both countries have roughly the same population and natural resources yet the Dominican Republic is much better socially, economically etc. than her neighbor. The GDP in the Domincan Republic is some 78 billion and Haiti a mere 11 billion. Can anyone explain that? I think I can.

Haiti is poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. She has been plagued by political violence for most of her history and presently there are some 8,000 peacekeepers from the UN maintaining civil order. The country is corrupt to its core. Over the decades we probably have poured billions of dollars into that rat hole. There is heavy drug trafficing and the people themselves are are heavy consumers of pot. They would rather smoke pot all day than tend to their sugar cane fields. Seems like anytime a hurricane pops up in the area it take a direct shot at Haiti.

They have a high AIDS mortality rate. Only 50% of its population is literate and half of the ignorant population practices voodoo which certainy speaks heavily as to their spiritual condition. Like I said, Haiti is a hell-hole and the Haitians in general are responsible. We all make choices and the Haitians are no different.

4Obama's statement on Haiti Empty Re: Obama's statement on Haiti Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:14 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

Well said Mike. We have to feel sorry for the common kid who is born into this condition though, they just don't know any different, this is life to them.

Obama once again is so out of touch with reality. The man has a driving need to be in front of a camera every day of his life whether or not he really has anything intelligent to say.

5Obama's statement on Haiti Empty Re: Obama's statement on Haiti Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:57 am

jaytee

jaytee

bullfrog wrote:Well said Mike. We have to feel sorry for the common kid who is born into this condition though, they just don't know any different, this is life to them.

Obama once again is so out of touch with reality. The man has a driving need to be in front of a camera every day of his life whether or not he really has anything intelligent to say.

Good point. O is trying to sell himself, just like he did during the election. He has no experience, little substance, and scarce knowledge of world affairs. To make things worse, he actually believes the nonsense he is shoveling.

6Obama's statement on Haiti Empty Re: Obama's statement on Haiti Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:19 pm

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Well said everyone. Especially about that bonehead prez we are stuck with. It is true Mikey that we have sent billions to Haiti for non disaster aid over the past few years. The exact amount was reported on Fox this morning, but I can't remember the exact amount but it was a few billion. That's a lot of money for such a small nation. You would think that that amount of money would have made the contidions there better but I'm sure that their corrupt government has the money and the people do not get much help.

I can't figure out why we send billions of dollars to so many countries on a regular basis, not just in disaster relief and we are always the biggest contributor of relief in disasters both in money and aid such as the military helping, medical help and supplies, food and water, etc., yet we are criticized by the world.

Mikey you made some very good points but there is so much need there now. I am going to make a donation - but through a private organization, not through the government. I figure if God only gave me the help that I deserve than I would be in deep trouble. I heard a story/fable once and I can't remember exactly how it goes. A mother whose son was being held for commiting a crime went to the king to beg for his mercy. The king asked why should I show him mercy instead of giving him what he deserves"? The mother replied "that is why it is called mercy". I wish I could do a better job remembering the story.

7Obama's statement on Haiti Empty Re: Obama's statement on Haiti Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:43 pm

Mikey

Mikey
Minnow
Minnow

I have no doubt that Haiti can and will be rebuilt. Christian churches across America and perhaps around the world have consistently tried to help the Haitians. Just last summer I gave financial support to a high school age neighbor who was going to Haiti with others from her church to help out for a few weeks. Fortunately she's back home again. I think it's wise to help out through the various relief organizations.

I wonder how much the drug cartels will donate.....

If Obama's people were smart they would insist the millions he's offering goes in to infrastructure and training of Haitians in construction and other job skills and let the world take care of the other needs. With a population of just 9 million and our promise of 100 million it will be interesting to see what happens....

How does that saying go.... Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum