Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Unemployment

+3
rosebud
bullfrog
jaytee
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Unemployment Empty Unemployment Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:48 am

jaytee

jaytee

85,000 more jobs were cut in December. I would guess that most of those were in retail after the Christmas season. By the accounts I read, the unemployment rate is still at 10% but I don't believe that to be true. Is the government hiding the true figures? What about the media, they were all over Bush when the rate was much lower. Are they giving this president a free pass? They are still saying recession, are we now really in a depression? I tend to think so. Any thoughts?

2Unemployment Empty Re: Unemployment Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:02 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

Well, the people that voted for him are still hoping for a change. ex[jester]

3Unemployment Empty Re: Unemployment Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:46 pm

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

my Robert is a retired pipefitter. He worked construction for years. So I know where you're coming from. Been there, done that! I'll say a prayer that more contracts will come their way.

4Unemployment Empty Unemployment?? Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:21 am

GuyPinestra

GuyPinestra

If the gov't used the formula they USED TO use, the unemployment figure would be closer to 20%

5Unemployment Empty Re: Unemployment Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:28 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

I do feel sorry for those who can't find work. It seems like the common people know how to fix the problem but the politicians won't listen in fear of losing the support of the illegals.

6Unemployment Empty Re: Unemployment Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:53 pm

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

I'm in the same boat. I got laid off in Dec. of 08, found 2 different jobs last year and was laid off from both. I try to stay positive and agree about one door closing and another one opening.

I am lucky in the fact that Mrs. Peepers has a job with good benefits so I have health care. I cannot find a job in my trade (printing) any where. I am considering a career change, but being almost 50 it is intimidating to say the least. We are getting by on unemployment and my wifes salary combined. This experience has brought us closer together and made me realize how blessed we are.

7Unemployment Empty Re: Unemployment Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:53 pm

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Freddie  I'm so sorry to hear of your lay offs.  I have been off since October '08.  I was also laid off for a year in 2006.   (I have been working since I was 16 and never claimed unemployment until I returned to school and trained for a career in automotive design).  I recently got a call from my contract house that I'm on the list that GM wants back.  We were supposed to start 1-11 but were delayed while GM sets up user IDs, phone, etc.  I don't know when/if I will start, but I hope soon.  There is no guarantee so I remain "cautiously optimistic."  Please say a prayer of thanksgiving for me and also a prayer for those still unemployed.

Freddie, you are not too old to return to school.  I was in the process of retraining to school for training in another field when I heard about the possible return to my job with GM.  The unemployed get special consideration for grants.  http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/index.htm  I have almost enough credits for a masters degree, all paid for myself while working and going to school, so I am not one for hand outs.  In these tough times you have to take help where you can get it.  There was no way I could return to school and get training in another field on unempoyment.  Look into a 2 year degree or trade school.  There are some decent paying jobs that don't require a 4 year degree.  I will post web sites with info as I find them in my mess of "favorites"  Good luck!

8Unemployment Empty Re: Unemployment Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:31 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

So many people on this one small forum, it's unbelievable the mess this country is in. I remember when you could quit a job in the morning and have another one by noon. I'll have 6 months left when I go back at the end of the month till I retire.

9Unemployment Empty Re: Unemployment Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:55 am

Mikey

Mikey
Minnow
Minnow

Well it sounds like a vacancy coming up in the near future in the great state of Texas.....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum