Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Firefighter's GLoves

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Firefighter's GLoves Empty The Firefighter's GLoves Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:02 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

My little grandson Braeden who passed away in April was fascinated by firemen and the trucks. So after he went home from the hospital with Hospice, he had the oportunity to tour two small town fire departments. They each gave him and his family a wonderful experience and the one took him home in the fire truck. The other gave him a real firefighter uniform and helmet. They also gave his big brother a helmet.

So a special part of the funeral was that after most of the people had left the auditorium, the firemen came in all dressed in their special dress uniforms and each, one by one approached the casket and saluted and said something like, "Farewell fireman Braeden Burgess." The last one was the chief who removed a white glove and layed it on Braeden's little chest and said something else of which I don't remember. We thought it was very touching. They also acted as honorary pall bearers.

Somewhere along the line, someone gave Dawn, his mom, this poem. Seeing Bullfrog is here and maybe others with a special heart for emergency service people, I thought you'd like to see it. Here is a picture of the casket with the uniform. Hope you don't think this is too tacky.

The Firefighter's GLoves Braedenscasket
Firefighter's Gloves

A Firefighter's gloves hold many things,
From elderly arms to a kids broken swing,
From the hands they shake and the backs they pat,
To the tiny claw marks of another treed cat.

At 2 am they are filled with chrome,
From the DWI who was on her way home.
And the equipment they use to roll back the dash,
From the family of 6 she involved in the crash.

The brush rakes in spring, wear the palms out,
When the wind does a “90” to fill them with doubt.
The thumb of the glove wipes the sweat from the brow,
Of the face of a firefighter, who mutters “What now?”

They hold inch and three quarters flowing one twenty five
So the ones going in, come back out alive.
When the regulator goes; then there isn’t too much,
But the bypass valve they eagerly clutch.

The rescue equipment, the ropes, the C-collars;
The lives they saved never measured in dollars,
Are the obvious things firefighters gloves hold,
Or, so that is what I’ve been always told.

But there are other things Firefighter's gloves touch.
Those are the things we all need so much.

They hold back the rage on that 3 am call.
They hold in the fear when you’re lost in a hall.
They hold back the pity, agony, and sorrow.
They hold in the desire to “Do it tomorrow”.

A glove is just a glove till it’s on firefighters,
Who work all day long just to pull an all-nighter.
And into the fray they charge without fear,
At the sound of a “Help” they think that they hear.

When firefighter’s hands go into the glove,
It’s a firefighter who always fills it with love.
Sometimes the sorrow is too much to bear,
And it seeps the glove and burns deep “in there”.

Off come the gloves when the call is done,
And into the pocket until the next call.
The hands become lonely and cold for a bit,
And shake a bit, just thinking of it.

And so they sit red eyed with their gloves in their coats.
The tears come so fast that the furniture ner floats.
They’re not so brave now; their hands they can't hide
I guess it just means they are human inside.

And though some are paid, others are not.
The gloves feel the same when it’s cold or it’s hot.
To someone you’re helping to just get along,
When you fill them with love, you always feel strong.

And so when I go on my final big ride
I hope they remain, my gloves by my side,
To show to St. Peter at the heavenly gate.
Cause as everyone knows, firefighters don’t wait.

2The Firefighter's GLoves Empty Re: The Firefighter's GLoves Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:31 am

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

Esther, that is a very beautiful tribute to God's little angel. I don't find it "tacky" at all.

It was really great of both fire depts to come and pay tribute to Braeden that way. What a true group of professionals, whether paid or unpaid. Sometimes the hardest things a firefighter does has nothing to do with flames.

I am one of the people who takes photos at funerals. That is just how I was raised. My mother took pics of my Daddy, who died when I was 8 yrs old. I took pics of Mother, who died when I was 17. I have gone back and looked at them over the years, but they aren't on display, or coffee table material.

Many people do not think it is "right" to take pics; some just don't care. Others, like you and I, do it to remember. I see nothing wrong with remembering, as long as one doesn't obsess over the images in an unhealthy way.

http://www.marykay.com/andismith/default.aspx

3The Firefighter's GLoves Empty Re: The Firefighter's GLoves Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:23 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

I remember this and Braeden's struggle, he is not forgotten. It is funny that we have never really met but it affected me when he passed. I too am glad that he got to tour the fire station and that they took the time to make him feel special and welcome. I have both of my helmets, my gloves and my name patches off of my bunker gear. I'm going to mount them on a plaque.

4The Firefighter's GLoves Empty Re: The Firefighter's GLoves Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:19 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

Condolences on your loss. I can't imagine the pain your family is feeling. Losing a child/grandchild has just got to be the worst thing ever to have to deal with.

It was a lovely tribute.

The last thing you need to concern yourself with is if someone should find you sharing your story "tacky". You share however you need/want to share. If anyone finds it tacky it's their problem not yours.

5The Firefighter's GLoves Empty Re: The Firefighter's GLoves Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:14 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Thanks for the good wishes.
I know Lari but some people are a little "grossed out" by photos of caskets some times. To be honest, I quickly snuck the picture because I was afraid Braeden't mommy wouldn't like it. I knew she wouldn't like me to take one of his face. But mostly I wanted to get the fireman's outfit and also the picture on the floor was done by a lady who does pencil drawings. She drew that from two pictures I had sent her. It was pretty accurate.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]