Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pete's making another headboard.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pete's making another headboard. Empty Pete's making another headboard. Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:49 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

When Pete's daughter, my stepdaughter, Cindi saw Kelly's bed that Pete made, she said she was jealous because the bed she and her husband have is just a crumby box springs with a good mattress on top on a metal frame, but never had a headboard. I think they've been married 7 years now. It must not be a priority.

As the kids have gotten older and married, it is getting harder and harder to think of things to give them for birthdays and Christmas. I have lowered myself to giving cash for Christmas the last two years and mostly cash or gift cards for birthdays + the come here for dinner.

But when I heard Cindi say that and realized we could make a headboard, I asked her to look at a DIY website where there were about 100 headboards. A lot of them were upholstered one way or another. But I got to thinking too that we could take an old door, not a hollow core one, and turn it sideways and frame it and WALA a headboard. I noticed my cupboard doors too and thought, "Why couldn't we take 3-4 of them and hook them together, frame around the whole bunch and again, WALA, a headboard!!" The single 3-4 panel door would have been easy. Anyway, the next day she emailed to me and said they had picked one out and attached a link to it. IT WAS AWFUL. It looked like something out of a geisha'a bedroom, partly because it was glossy black. So I told her I didn't know if Pete had the knowhow or equipment to do it. The next day she sent a picture of one at a local furniture store that we could actually go and look at to figure out how to do it. Here is the picture from the ad.
Pete's making another headboard. Cindi_11 Pete's making another headboard. Headbo10

Here is it almost built, laying on 2 x 4s, glued and clamped, waiting to dry. So I go to take the picture and realize he had put the 4 little 4" up and down pieces in the wrong section in the center. I had an awful time telling him because he isn't a woodworker and he had worked so hard getting the slots perfectly put together with no spaces to fill with wood putty. So I sent the picture to Cindi, told her the problem and asked if he was to put 4 more in the center top section, if that would be OK. She agreed of course and is thrilled her daddy is making it for them. We are going to stain it with Fruitwood stain and then use a Satin Deft finish on it. Or do you think Semi-gloss is better? Their dresser and chest and end tables are oooold and basically the '50s blond so they are leaning to a darker finish on the bed. Maybe we'll bring the bedroom set home, piece by piece and laminate the drawer fronts and see if we can darken then down some to match the headboard.

2Pete's making another headboard. Empty Re: Pete's making another headboard. Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:39 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

The special thing is that she's thrilled her dad is making her something. With the modification it will be one of a kind too!

3Pete's making another headboard. Empty Re: Pete's making another headboard. Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:23 pm

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Very nice design. You and Pete are amazing. you can do anything!

4Pete's making another headboard. Empty Re: Pete's making another headboard. Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Denny

Denny

That looks very nice, ma'am! It's going to be beautiful and a family heirloom when it's done!

5Pete's making another headboard. Empty Re: Pete's making another headboard. Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:31 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

We just bought a router table which enables Pete to make straight slots and control the cut. Otherwise he has to try to do it with his strength and that doesn't always work. He is learning as he goes. Usually he'll try something new on some cheap pine before he uses it on the oak.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum