Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

For the Birds

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 For the Birds on Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:24 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Got this from a newsletter I receive from Kim Komando (she is a computer geek on the radio also)and I thought I'd share this w/ any of you who enjoy the birds. I can't have feeders anymore as my cats are not nice to them
jw

Do you like bird watching?

7/24/2010

When I was young, I really envied birds. They got to fly anywhere they wanted. And they didn't have to eat lima beans or clean their room.

These days, I'm not so envious of birds. Flying would be fun, but I don't think I could stomach the worms! Bird watching is still a fun hobby, though.

If you like watching birds, today's Cool Site is for you. It brings together bird watchers from all over. They track migratory patterns and upload the information.

That information is used to create migration charts. These tell you when and where to expect certain birds. It can also tell you what birds you can expect to see in a given area.

You can also select a type of bird. That will give you a map showing area sightings. It's great for taking the kids on a bird-watching field trip.

http://ebird.org/ebird/eBirdReports?cmd=Start

zone 7
View user profile

2 Re: For the Birds on Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:35 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Pete's son Ken is crazy about birds so I sent him the link and signed up there myself. We have a partial interest. Pete made a doodad out of 2 x 4s that is attached to the corner of the deck. Mikey called it a hangman's noose. That's what it looks like I guess. Anyway, hanging from it is a finch feeder, two sets of wind chimes, one big and one small, an ear of corn to tease the squirrels, a suet block holder, a dangley pretty doodad, a oriole feeder and just beyond is a regular feeder. The feeders that drop seeds are out overhanging the grass...Well you saw the picture where Mittens was laying on the deck ledge waiting for an unsuspecting bird. But since I've put up a large shallow pot tray and filled it with water so she doesn't have such a convenient place to lay.

3 Re: For the Birds on Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:02 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
That's neat that you can still feed them w/ the cat around. I have one cat that is just a hunter of all hunters and she would kill anything that comes in front of her. She just can't help herself. And the other cat just hangs around me all day in and out of the house following me everywhere I go...........she does eat bugs tho. I really miss being able to feed the birds but I guess I will just have to be happy seeing them fly through here every once in awhile. There's a family of crows w/ their young ones in tow that come here in the morning. One of the babies hasn't quite got the hang of where he should stand or walk on the roof. One morning while I was still in bed I heard this racket above me on the skylight over the bed and here was this young crow doing a slippery dance all over the glass. He was having a heck of a time and it was quite humorous to say the least ex[giggle] He hasn't got his flying quite right either yet as one morning he crashed right into the window.........lucky he didn't get hurt cuz it made such a loud bam that it woke me up and I jumped outta bed to see if he was alright. He was ok and hasn't done it since

zone 7
View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum