Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Late Fall/Winter clean up.........

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Empty Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:59 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

After the last big wind we had blow through here in Tacoma, WA a few weeks ago I figured it was time to go out and clean up some of the mess from neighbors big maple tree and the rest of the yard. The clean up was over due fro picking up of the tree leaves. In doing so I noticed that the real hardy water lily was still slowly sending up stems for lily pads. They were exposed to surface frost when we had temps down into the teens and start to rot. I cleared out all of the dying or dead horse tail rush, pickeral weed, and water lily remains. I can actually see Shubunkin's now, and the pond water is crystal clear. With the help of the heater, this last week the pond water temp has ranged from 48 F to 52 F. The submersible aquarium heater is working just great and manages to keep the water temps well above freezing especially on those nights we have temps down into the teens (F).

Even this time of the year I enjoy my pond and fish.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

2Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Empty Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:07 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

Yesterday I noticed my pond water was looking a bit like watered down tea, so I did a 50% water change. I managed to stir up some goo from the bottom, and netted that out. This morning the pond is crystal clear again, and the Shubunkin's are as active as ever. My pond water temps have been ranging at 50 degrees F, plus or minus 3 degrees F. The fish act like they are starving all the time, so when the temps are up above 50/52 degrees F, I give them about a fourth of the food that I would normally give them in the early spring. All's well here in the Northwest.

3Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Empty Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:47 pm

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

I think I might be able to walk across our pond Late Fall/Winter clean up......... 932701

4Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Empty Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:09 pm

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

After a couple days into the 40's....our pond has open water again Late Fall/Winter clean up......... 265366 Still haven't seen any fish moving.

5Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Empty Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:04 pm

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

During the Blizzard we had several weeks ago, there was thunder and lightning affraid to go along with the snow and 50 mph wind. Went out after work today and saw 3 of the larger Koi setting on the bottom and not moving much....but still alive Late Fall/Winter clean up......... 265366 I am REALLY getting tired of winter now.
The bird feeders in our yard have been active to say the least. 4 different species of woodpeckers,
both Nuthatches that are common to this area and even a Brown Creeper (unusual for winter) have all been enjoying the bounty of seeds and suet that we provide them.

6Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Empty Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:39 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

It's upper 60's almost 70 this week here, finally got some sun. I've had it with winter too.

7Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Empty Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:52 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

I have the itch to put in a bigger pond. Due to the limited space in my back yard, it would involve removing my existing pond to go bigger. For now, I will have to settle for what I have.

Can wait for spring. ex[frog]

8Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Empty Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:27 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

Well the other mobile is done and rented out. The money is slowly building back up and I still have to skirt our mobile before I can do the pond, but it's coming.

9Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Empty Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

Always priorities getting in the way, ha?

10Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Empty Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:16 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

I've been planning it. I want to pave the driveway then run a fence along it so the horses can't get out when we pull up. Vicki has to get out, go in and close the gate then walk to the porch. The horses follow her, then I can open it and drive in. This is a real pain. If the fence follows the driveway, then flares out a little, we can have a private area off the front porch where the horses can't hang their heads right over the gate to the steps as they do now. We could actually have our bird bath up without them knocking it over and a bird feeder without them eating the seed. The pond will go there.

11Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Empty Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:18 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

Me too.

12Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Empty Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:54 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

Well I bought a new camera as I still haven't found the old one and will follow it step by step. I tried taking a picture of the chicken that lays a egg during the service but they came out too dark as I didn't know how to use the flash yet. We had to separate Glory from Honey and Gunny. She kicks when she eats. Poor Gunny was just walking to his food bowl and she kicked the crap out of him. He's pretty stoved up and limping right now. Honey really loves him, we bought her when she had just weaned her colt and she thinks that she is his momma. She lets him eat out of her bowl and that is unheard of.

13Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Empty Re: Late Fall/Winter clean up......... Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:01 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

Gunny has plumped up but still doesn't play like a colt should. Especially lately, I'm sure thats not the only time that Glory has kicked him, he has a hard time getting up. I'll take him to the vet probably Thursday. Glory is going to have to go, I'll find her a good home but won't have a horse that kicks. Besides, she really needs some saddle work and I just don't have the time to do that right now, I'm getting a little old to be thrown.

A guy down the road has a Mustang named Angel which is what i wanted to begin with. Mustangs are very strong, smart horses. Angel can walk up to a six foot fence (only on command)you say "Angel, jump!" and she will stand on her rear legs then jump easily over the fence. That would be awesome, you stand in the stirrups and push your right knee in, she goes left. Push your left knee in and she goes right. He has trained her to do this blindfolded on a trail, she has total confidence in her rider.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum