Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Flag Etiquette - Who Was Right?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Flag Etiquette - Who Was Right? Empty Flag Etiquette - Who Was Right? Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:44 pm

Cool Chools

As I said in my police thread, I belong to this group that teams up cops and civilians to fight crime, and last night was our annual Holiday Party.

At the opening, they brought the American flag, the Texas flag, the City of Houston flag, and the police department flag down the center aisle, in a presentation of colors.

They had everyone stand. As the flag came down the aisle, I put my right hand over my heart. Scarcely another soul did the same, including the cops and program officers and Chief of Police up on the stage.

only when the Honor Guard officially presented the colors and did their salute thing, only then did the general crowd cover their hearts in respect to our flag.

Now, do you think that's odd? Shouldn't everyone always show respect by covering his heart, as we were taught in grade school, when the flag comes down the aisle? Or am I incorrect?

2Flag Etiquette - Who Was Right? Empty Re: Flag Etiquette - Who Was Right? Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:35 pm

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

I remember when I was in elementary school we used to stand next to our desks every morning, cover our hearts and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Are kids still allowed to do this? They should be encouraged to respect and love this country that they are lucky enough to live in. Maybe the ACLU had their way. I think teaching children to respect their country has gone by the wayside or maybe infringes on their "rights". Even Obama refused to wear the flag lapel pin. He even spoke about it saying "he stopped wearing the pin shortly after the attacks and instead hoped to show his patriotism by explaining his ideas to citizens." The pin suddenly appeared on his lapel when he was a serious contender to be nominated as a candidate for President. No explanation for his change of heart to wear the pin.

3Flag Etiquette - Who Was Right? Empty Re: Flag Etiquette - Who Was Right? Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:28 pm

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

I posted a comment, but it didn't show up. I certainly don't think you were wrong, but then I don't really know what the "correct" thing is. When I was in school, we only put our hand over our heart when we said the Pledge of Allegience. Kids these days aren't required to say the Pledge because some are not U.S. citizens and do not feel they should have to. We wouldn't want to upset their little phyches now would we?

4Flag Etiquette - Who Was Right? Empty Re: Flag Etiquette - Who Was Right? Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:22 am

Mikey

Mikey
Minnow
Minnow

That's a great question. I wrote policy on flag protocol prior to retiring but I can't recall the answer to your question. I knew you were supposed to stand upon approach of the flag but I couldn't remember if you presented the appropriate salute as the flag approached or when the flag was presented. However, my friend Google helps out here with the answer....

Salute the flag...
When it is six paces from the viewer and hold it until the flag has passed six paces beyond. Salute the flag at the first note of the National Anthem and hold the salute until the last note is played.

When in civilian attire...
MEN remove hats and hold at left shoulder with hand over heart; without hat, place right hand, palm open, over heart. WOMEN should place right hand, palm open, over heart. When in athletic clothing, face the flag or music, remove hat or cap and stand at attention; a hand salute is not given.

5Flag Etiquette - Who Was Right? Empty Re: Flag Etiquette - Who Was Right? Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:32 am

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Sorry Cool Chools. I misunderstood the point you were making in your post when I replied. I guess I'm not too off the point though. I wonder if they teach respect for the flag in shcool these days.

6Flag Etiquette - Who Was Right? Empty Re: Flag Etiquette - Who Was Right? Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:58 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

I don't think I care what is said by people who make the etiquette rules. If your heart told you to honor the flag at that moment, then good. It shouldn't have anything to do what the guy next to you is doing. After all, as momma used to say, "If he jumped off the cliff, would you?" I suppose that if you saluted the flag and it means nothing to you, you shouldn't do it.

7Flag Etiquette - Who Was Right? Empty Re: Flag Etiquette - Who Was Right? Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:36 pm

I always stand and place my hand over my heart when the flag is approaching and remain so until the last note of the National Anthem is played. I go to a lot of Rodeo functions, Horse Sales, etc. and my Husband and I always respect out Flag.
A lot of people think of "horse" people of being a rowdy, loud bunch of people. But you would be surprised that the majority of them are very loyal Americans, very polite and caring people. Everyone helps each other with whatever needs there are. I am from the "old school" and just think this is the way it should be.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum