Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

German Shepherd needs a home

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1German Shepherd needs a home Empty German Shepherd needs a home Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:37 am

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

My cousin (idiot that he is, but not for this), took in a female german shepherd who was evidently dumped and left to starve to death in Vidor (TX). She was/is wearing a choker chain collar, but no ID.

He said she was very skittish and brow beaten when he saw her. It took him 4 days of feeding her before she would come to him. He has had her for about 2 months, and she is very well adjusted to his other 5 dogs. She is house trained, appears to possibly have been spayed (no scar, but no evidence of ever having puppies), and he seems to guess she is anywhere from maybe 4-6 years old. I don't know how or why that is his conclusion.

I've only "met" her once, and not for very long. I didn't get to look her over too well since I was in a rush, and due to my back, not being able to do for myself, but she is BEAUTIFUL. Standard blonde/black markings, height, etc. She is still very skinny and has ribs showing, but according to my cousin, she looked much worse. She eats all the time, but probably needs to be wormed. I didn't get to look at her teeth. I wish I had taken pics of her.

I WANT TO KEEP HER!!! I have been wanting a german shepherd for quite some time! But, my Hubby is adamantly refusing to let me get another animal now. Normally, I wouldn't even listen to him, but since I can't take care of her myself, I really can't take her. I don't want to end up getting divorced!

As I mentioned, the cousin already has 5 dogs, and literally cannot afford to feed himself, let alone another BIG dog. He has 2 chihuahuas, 1 Jack Russell (also a stray he got a year ago), 1 medium mixed breed (she and one of the chihuahua's are my aunt's dogs--she's had them for over 15 yrs), and 1 big baby of a pit bull (he thinks he is a chi-chi lap dog).

Ladybug, as he calls the shepherd, seems to have a wonderful personality, and she and the pit bull were romping and playing and wagging tails the entire time I was there.

It is just really a cruel thing to leave her where she may or may not get fed (along with all the others), because he is only existing in a shack on the river. He called me today, asking me to help him get some dog food.

As badly as I want to keep this dog for myself, I would love to see her go to a great home where she could be loved and whole again.

If anyone knows of someone who might be interested, please call me, or give them my number to call: (409) 656-2990.

Thanks!!
Andi

http://www.marykay.com/andismith/default.aspx

2German Shepherd needs a home Empty Re: German Shepherd needs a home Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:43 am

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

I am going to wait a day or two before I post this on Facebook, as I would be more likely to trust the people from here to help me find a GOOD home for this dog.

Though I do know most everyone on my friends list, I'm still worried about just anyone being able to take her, and do who knows what to her. I feel better since this is a smaller group.

Oh, and I wondered if she might have a chip implanted, but Hubby said she did not---he felt all over to check, and he didn't seem to think she did.

I STILL WANT HER!!! ex[cry]

3German Shepherd needs a home Empty Re: German Shepherd needs a home Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:56 am

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Bartender, tell your hubby that she is all you want for Christmas! I sure wish I was able to take her. I love German Shepherds. We had one when I was a kid. They are very loving, loyal, and protective of their families. We already have a 125 lb.Lab. That's about all I can handle right now.

4German Shepherd needs a home Empty Re: German Shepherd needs a home Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:34 am

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

Believe me, I'm TRYING!!!! ex[bow] :[img]http:///a ex[nod]

5German Shepherd needs a home Empty Re: German Shepherd needs a home Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:07 am

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Oh that poor dog. How can people just dump animals and leave them to die?

I hope you get to keep her, Bartender. If you do have to find another home for her I hope you find a good one. Is there a way that you can screen the people or visit their home first and see the conditions and other pets that they have?

PS I keep meaning to tell you how much your avitar looks like my kitty, Jasmine. I'll try to post a picture. I don't currently have one on photobucket and I have not had luck on this forum uploading pictures from my computer.

6German Shepherd needs a home Empty Re: German Shepherd needs a home Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:39 pm

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

ex[giggle] JW, you'd better duck when you say that! Bullfrog might throw something at you for that suggestion!
Bartender, can't you talk hubby into keeping her until you find her a home? You know he would probably end up falling in love with her! Then he couldn't give her away.
ex[wink1]

7German Shepherd needs a home Empty Re: German Shepherd needs a home Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:45 pm

Cool Chools

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY POST?!?!? For the second time today, something I posted did not show up on the forum!! And it's happened here quite a few times. ex[stormcloud]

Frustrating!

Well, Bartender, I hope your hubby comes around and you guys end up giving the dog a home.

8German Shepherd needs a home Empty Re: German Shepherd needs a home Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:02 pm

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

Chools. I don't know. This problem crops up every now and then but most don't experience it here, it may have to do with your server.

Bartender, I feel and know your pain but we have four dogs, 6 cats and a huge lizard, we can't take on any more pets right now. Try Southeasttexas.com. I wish that I could help.

9German Shepherd needs a home Empty Re: German Shepherd needs a home Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:46 am

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

Still no luck... es[uhuh]

Right now, I have everything going against me keeping her:

I can't walk myself, so how can I walk a dog?

We are down to one income--my LT disabilty was DENIED, I will have to appeal.

Even IF I were to go back to work, I STILL have lots of bills that need to be taken care of.

Our yard is not fenced, and even if it were, we have a nasty neighbor who likes to steal people's animals and haul them off (that is an entirely different topic in itself).

Shepherds require HIGH maintenance...refer to all of the above.

Hubby refuses to comprimise on another animal at this time. We had a HUGE uh..er... "disagreement" earlier about the whole subject.

He's had animals, but he doesn't understand that I have ALWAYS had animals in my life, and I am missing Kitty so very, very badly. I tried telling him how lonley I am without a furry friend. He said "You've still got a bird". It's just NOT the same. I love my Coco, but he is NOT a listener or a cuddler!! I feel myself sinking more and more each day. It is not about human company--I have plenty of contact with humans. There's just that special bond with an animal that is so calming and soothing. Not having to be smothering them, but just knowing they are right beside you if you did reach out to touch them.

Oh well, guess I got off track, sorry. Ditch, I completely understand that she would be too much for you. And you too, Rosie.

Just please ask around--people ya'll know and trust. I would trust someone with her if either of you trusted them. That's why I put this here.

Until we do find her a home, I'm still gonna pray that Hubby will come around--even if I don't keep this dog, but another animal finds it way to us.

10German Shepherd needs a home Empty Re: German Shepherd needs a home Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:58 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

I really wish that I could help Andi. Two of our dogs are getting really old but we still have the two huskies. I forgot to mention the goats, Olive Oil is pregnant and it is driving Popeye nuts. She is giving off a scent and he is seriously in heat for her. She will have nothing to do with him but he dogs her day and night, have you ever heard the sound that a horny goat makes? It's not the regular bah bah bah bah. It's a weird whining sound.

Anyway, we are up to our necks in pets. I will ask at work though.

11German Shepherd needs a home Empty Re: German Shepherd needs a home Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:56 am

I've never heard a horny goat but when we lived out in the country outside Huntsville our neighbor had a milk cow. Our landlord owned the property next door and he had cows and a bull. We were caught between the cow and the bull. She'd moo and he's squeal. This went on for what seemed like forever until my neighbor had the guy from the college come out and artifically inseminate her. It didn't take and the mooing and squealling started all over again. That bull was really starting to look like t-bones and ribeye steaks LOL Second time worked and the bull went off to find some other cow to give his attention.

12German Shepherd needs a home Empty Re: German Shepherd needs a home Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:42 pm

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Any update, Bartender? I pray that dog gets a good home. It seems it has suffered so much already.

13German Shepherd needs a home Empty strays Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:24 pm

Last January a German Shepherd puppy was in my garage when I got home from work -
I posted on southeasttexas.com and had several responses
but I had already found a good home.
I once had a white German Shepherd which is probably my
all time favorite dog. She was so good with kids -
and the BEST snake killer.

14German Shepherd needs a home Empty Re: German Shepherd needs a home Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:41 am

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

Fishlips, I sent a message to a friend (yes, a real one) on Facebook, because she has a couple of Shepherds (I think she may breed them). She asked for pics 'cuz she may know of some folks, but I don't have any yet. I wish I had thought to take some while I was out there. It's about 30 miles from my house to my aunt's. Was thinking of calling the idiot cousin and asking him if he could get someone to take some and send to me. That MAY be asking too much!

I'm not going to give up finding her a good forever home. No, my goofy cousin cannot afford to keep her, but at the same time, he won't harm her or let anyone else harm her. Lari was kind enough to point me in the direction of a GSD rescue, so it WILL all work itself out eventually. It just isn't looking like it's gonna be what I wanted! es[uhuh]

15German Shepherd needs a home Empty Re: German Shepherd needs a home Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:32 pm

Let me see if I can help a little bit.

I'm sorry that you can't take her but you are right in thinking that your situation isn't really the best for her either.
DH doesn't have any say in my house when it comes to the animals, LOL! He lives with it or he knows where to find the door. But, fortunately he loves them too.

It would be best if you could get a picture of her. Particularly if you want to try to get rescues involved, they will want to see a picture or they will be reluctant to help.

Check Petfinder for rescues and shelters in your area.
Click on the tab "Animal Shelters" and you can search by state and a list will come up. You can also type "Shepherd" in the group name and about a half dozen different GSD rescues pop-up.
http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

You could also email New Beginnings Shepherd Rescue in South Carolina. They are good about helping dogs all over. If they can't help they might be able to connect you with someone who can.
murphy@newbeginningsrescue.com

http://www.newbeginningsrescue.com/

Also, be aware that rescues may be unwilling to deal with you because the dog doesn't belong to you. Your brother is in possession of the dog so they will want to talk to him.

I will also tell you that right now rescues and shelters are beyond full. TX just happens to be one state that is having particularly bad problems with unwanted pets.

Something else that might help your brother with the dogs is there are several pet food assistance programs that he might be able to use.

Helotes, TX
Helotes Humane Society Pet Pantry
Phone: (210) 422-6242
hhsanimals.org

Austin, TX
Pet Food Bank of Austin & Travis Counties
Phone: (512) 453-7737 or (512) 288-0068
www.greyhoundrescueaustin.com/gra/food-bank.htm

Livingston, TX
SPCA of Polk County
If you or someone you know is in need of pet food assistance, please contact us.
Phone: 936-967-2287
spcaofpolkcounty.org/Programs.htm

If you are not near any of these resources and there are any other people food banks near you, ask them about pet food as sometimes they have it too or can help get it.

If I think of anything else I'll post it for you. I'll try sometime today to go through the Best Friends database and see if I can find anything else that might help.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum