Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Garden catalogs

+2
rosebud
Freddie Peepers
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Garden catalogs Empty Garden catalogs Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:17 pm

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

It is one of my favorite times of the year. The first catalog has arrived in my mailbox. I like Pinetree and Johnny's for vegetable seeds along with Territorial.
What are some of your favorites? ex[grow]

2Garden catalogs Empty Re: Garden catalogs Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:47 pm

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

We get Gurney, Henry field's, and Burpee.
I like Henry Field's the best. It has some seeds you can't usually find.
ex[grow] ex[farmer]

3Garden catalogs Empty Re: Garden catalogs Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:46 pm

Mikey

Mikey
Minnow
Minnow

My favorite garden catalog is from Annie's Annuals & Perennials. She has really unique stuff.

http://www.anniesannuals.com/

4Garden catalogs Empty Re: Garden catalogs Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:18 pm

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

Mikey;
that is a good one. I never ordered from Annie but have seen many interesting things there. Have you ordered plants from there?
I have used High Country Gardens for mail order plants and have been pleased with the variety and their shipping methods. They have stuff that is not available here in the upper mid-west. I must say that I have tried to grow some things from there that were supposedly hardy for zone 5. They would do fine in the summer and then our wet winter would sometimes kill them.

5Garden catalogs Empty Re: Garden catalogs Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:17 pm

Mikey

Mikey
Minnow
Minnow

I use Annie's catalog mainly to identify plants that I want. I have ordered from her only once because I don't like paying shipping and because I normally can find many of the plants locally. She is located in the northern part of California near San Fransisco but recently she has shipped some plants down to one of the high end nurseries down here. Occasionally she gives a talk at the nearby Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens and then has a plant sale of stuff she brought down with her.

6Garden catalogs Empty Re: Garden catalogs Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:50 pm

Cool Chools

I used to love thumbing through the cataloges, and choosing and buying plants. But I haven't done so in a long time ...

Many of the plants sold aren't suitable to the South Texas climate. Also, over the years, I finally got my yard "finished" more or less, and am trying NOT to buy new things.

I miss the excitement of trying new plants, but since my yard is so small, it really looks best with just the few select things in it right now.

7Garden catalogs Empty Re: Garden catalogs Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:25 pm

Mikey

Mikey
Minnow
Minnow

Cool Chools wrote:I miss the excitement of trying new plants, but since my yard is so small, it really looks best with just the few select things in it right now.
Sometimes less is best... ex[nod]

8Garden catalogs Empty Re: Garden catalogs Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:14 pm

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

I agree ...a garden is more than just a collection of plants, but I also have trouble not trying new things each spring

9Garden catalogs Empty Re: Garden catalogs Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:52 am

Mrs. Peepers

I like High Country Gardens the best. I don't much care if it says something won't survive in my area. I try them anyway. Sometimes I'm right. I'm waiting to see if my Texas Red Yucca comes back this year. I don't feel very confident that it will but don't tell the plant. I don't want to discourage it. If it does show signs of life it's getting a better spot to live. It got covered up by a buuterfly bush last year. I'm sure that didn't help to get it established. I like to plant for hummingbirds. Feeding and attracting them is a high priority. I started an herb garden last year so this year I'll try new herbs there.

10Garden catalogs Empty Re: Garden catalogs Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:12 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

Freddie Peepers wrote:It is one of my favorite times of the year. The first catalog has arrived in my mailbox. I like Pinetree and Johnny's for vegetable seeds along with Territorial.
What are some of your favorites? ex[grow]

Fredricks of Hollwood

Adam and Eve

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum