Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

I made a rug

+2
Bartender
Esther
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I made a rug Empty I made a rug Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:38 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Well not really. This is a 24" x 36" tiled area by the patio door at one of our rentals. I designed, layed it and grouted it. Pete did most of the cutting.

I made a rug Duplextilerug

2I made a rug Empty Re: I made a rug Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:55 pm

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

Wow, very nice!! Great job! ex[nod]

http://www.marykay.com/andismith/default.aspx

3I made a rug Empty Re: I made a rug Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:59 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

First it was going to be 6 - 12" tiles layed 24" x 36". But somehow it ended up like this. Instead of a 30 minute job, it took about 4 hours. Part of the problem but really didn't slow us down, was when Pete misunderstood the cutting of the LAST tile in the center that had two cuts. One cut ended up at the wrong side. So he had to drive back into town for an .80 tile. GRRR. But while he was gone, I worked around that spot.

I love to tile. It is really easy once you get the hang of it.

4I made a rug Empty Re: I made a rug Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:50 pm

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Beautiful job! I like the pattern!

5I made a rug Empty Re: I made a rug Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:57 am

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

I had kind of an idea of how I wanted to go but when we got it layed out on the floor, it turned out to be too wide and went into an area where there was a register. Didn't want to work around that. Then I made it square 36" X 36" but it stuck out in the room too far. So we got sick of moving tiles and came home. I downloaded a graph and began spacing it out knowing the different size tiles I had to work with and that worked. We do have a wet saw and that slices throught the tiles like a hot knife through butter, almost. We have tiled about everything, backsplashes, countertops, inside showers, outside showers, 1", 4", 6", 12" tiles, kitchen floors, bathroom floors, on the walls behind and around washer, drier and laundry tubs, dining room floors, and one spot 3' x 5' entering a bedroom where a dog had dug at the carpet and we didn't want to have to replace the whole 12'X 18' carpet. Oh and we made a coffee table I made a rug Kellyscoffeetabletop and two end tables, and a laundry room table out of 2 x 4s with tile tops. Really tile is easy, just takes a while.

6I made a rug Empty Re: I made a rug Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:17 am

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

Turned out great! I'd love to do some tiling around here someday, just haven't gotten Bruce convinced it would be easy yet.

7I made a rug Empty Re: I made a rug Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:56 am

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

Turned out great! I'd love to do some tiling around here someday, just haven't gotten Bruce convinced it would be easy yet.

8I made a rug Empty Re: I made a rug Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:51 am

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

I love the design and the tiles you selected. You and Pete do such professional work.

9I made a rug Empty Re: I made a rug Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:06 am

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Lari, if I can do it, anybody can do it. Pick up some brochures or Google it and read up a bit before tackling it. Really, all it takes is cement board under the tile, glue/mortar, tile, grout, sealant, and be able to count and measure. We didn't have a wet saw in the beginning but there are ones around $80 and you'd save that with your first project in labor.

10I made a rug Empty Re: I made a rug Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:13 pm

GuyPinestra

GuyPinestra

Esther, with that kind of talent and your charming personality I'll bet you could teach tiling at Home Depot and get PAID for it!

11I made a rug Empty Re: I made a rug Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:31 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

LOL, thanks everybody. Really, most home projects are doable by anybody. I am just lucky to have been born on a farm with the right genes and a mother who didn't stop at anything when something needed to be done and we didn't have enough money to pay somebody else. Also, my first husband was an industrial arts teacher with a very capable father and my husband of 25 years is a master plumber. So what he doesn't know how to do, he knows somebody who does and we can ask.

One time she decided to put down new linoleum in the kitchen. She smeared glue over half the kitchen and UNDER the toe kick area on the cupboards. We lifted that piece out over the glue as far as we could and then thought we could push it under the toe kick. Uh uh!! It wouldn't slide in the glue. So then she didn't know what to do. So me being barefoot all the time anyway walked into the glue and lifted it enough to get it under that toe kick and then we were able to lay it where it needed to be.

Before that she and I used to paint the linoleum about once a year. She used those big roundish sponges with the big holes and would stipple dark gray, light gray, red and white on it in a blotchy manner. It looked nice.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum