Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Crockpot Italian Beef

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Crockpot Italian Beef Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:25 am

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

Crock Pot Italian Beef

-1 or 2 beef roasts ( I usually use 2...1 chuck roast and a tip roast or something with less fat )
-1 or 2 coarse chopped onions (more if you like a lot of onion like I do)

-1 jar of sliced peperoncini with juice
-1 bottle of beer
-1 or 2 packets of dry italian dressing mix ( again depending on number of roasts )

In a large crockpot, combine the juice from the peperoncinis with the beer and mix in the dry italian dressing. Put the roasts in the crockpot, and add the onions and peperoncini over the top. The meat should be mostly covered by liquid at the beginning of cooking and will cook down to be fully covered as you shred it apart.

Turn the pot on high for the first hour or so then down to low. After about 12 hours the meat will be getting tender enough to flake apart with forks or tongs. Occasionally pull it apart at any time during the cooking process until it's well shredded.
Cook in crock pot for at least 24 hours.

Serve hoagie rolls with provolone cheese on it.

Got this recipe from another forum and made it last weekend. It's WONDERFUL!

2Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:41 am

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

That does sound good! Too bad I'm not having a Superbowl party. It would be the perfect thing to serve.

3Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

Starting this one now to serve tomorrow during Super Bowl

4Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:39 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

Hope you all enjoy it as much as we did.

5Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:39 pm

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

crockpot has been "cooking" 2 hours and it smells heavenly Crockpot Italian Beef 265366

6Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:48 pm

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

This turned out AWESOME.
We definitely plan on serving this next time we host any sort of a party. The only mistake I made was getting the whole peperoncini peppers instead of sliced, so I had to fish out the stems as I shredded the beef. The flavor was good with a nice spicy bite
Thank you for the recipe Crockpot Italian Beef 700103

7Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:44 pm

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Yum! I was waiting for the recipe review, Freddie. Looks like this recipe tasted as good as it sounded. It's a keeper. Can't wait to try it.

I cooked your "crock pot Italian Beef" yesterday, and it really made points with my wife. It was so good we had to go back for seconds. My hats off to you.

Thank you.

Happy ponding,

Rich :[IMG]2thumbs01 ex[happy] :[IMG]2thumbs01 ex[happy] ex[hooray] ex[happy]

9Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:17 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

I decided to try a "french dip" version of this last weekend. I gotta tell ya..it's the best version yet in my opinion.

Chuck Roast
Beer
Au Jus packet mix
two large sliced onions.

Cook 24 hours in the crockpot...

Served on a toasted hard bun with melted swiss cheese. Dip in au jus.

I will say that the beer/au jus it cooked in wasn't as good as just regular au jus for the dipping. the beer gave it a different flavor I wasn't impressed with. But with the regular au jus it is fantastic.

Another time I'm going to add sautee'd mushrooms on the sandwiches too. Just because I love sauteed mushrooms.

10Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:27 am

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

Ok, dang it!! Ya'll are making me crazy with all this good stuff!! I may just have to actually go into my kitchen and try this one!!! I love french dip sammiches!!

Crockpot Italian Beef 998304

http://www.marykay.com/andismith/default.aspx

11Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:30 am

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

What kind of beer do you use in the original recipie? I don't do beer, so I have no idea what kind to cook with.

12Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:45 am

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Lari wrote:I decided to try a "french dip" version of this last weekend. I gotta tell ya..it's the best version yet in my opinion.

Chuck Roast
Beer
Au Jus packet mix
two large sliced onions.

Cook 24 hours in the crockpot...

Served on a toasted hard bun with melted swiss cheese. Dip in au jus.

I will say that the beer/au jus it cooked in wasn't as good as just regular au jus for the dipping. the beer gave it a different flavor I wasn't impressed with. But with the regular au jus it is fantastic.

Another time I'm going to add sautee'd mushrooms on the sandwiches too. Just because I love sauteed mushrooms.

Lari, do you cook it 2-4 hours or 24 hours?

13Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:19 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

24 as in twenty four.

We live in Milwaukee, so Miller is the main beer of choice it seems around here.

I used Miller this time.

Used Heinikins when I made the corned beef and Miller with the Italian.

Mainly because neither Bruce or I drink beer, so I've used whatever his son (who lives here ex[stormcloud] and that's all I'll say on that subject) had on hand.

Last edited by Lari on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

14Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Crock pot Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:26 pm

Esther,

I just wanted you to know that I followed that to a 'T', and it came out simply delicious. I realized that I didn't have the recommended 24 hours to cook this in time for dinner that same day, so I left the crock pot on high for 4 hours and then turned it down to low for the last three. It still tasted awsome. Really made points with the little lady.

Thanks,

Rich Crockpot Italian Beef 268413

15Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:46 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

The guy who shared the original recipe for the italian beef said his sister in law cooks on high for less time too and it turns out, but he prefers it to be cooked on low for longer. I've only done it on low. Even went 36 hours with the italian and it was great.

Leftovers frozen in serving sized bags, then thawed and reheated in the microwave came out great too.

16Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:14 am

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

We bought the roasts tonight!! I couldn't remember the recipies, so I've still got to get the au jus, and of course, a beer. I don't know, we may just skip the beer. Unless Hubby stops and gets just one in a little brown bag! LOL

17Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:19 am

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

I think it's the alcohol in the beer that helps with tenderness and moisture retention. But it may be the effervescence too. I say this because, I also have heard of cooking things in Soda...like coke and getting the same effect. But not diet soda because I think the sugar content is also important.

18Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:18 am

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

Lari wrote:I think it's the alcohol in the beer that helps with tenderness and moisture retention. But it may be the effervescence too. I say this because, I also have heard of cooking things in Soda...like coke and getting the same effect. But not diet soda because I think the sugar content is also important.
I agree with this....We make pulled pork with a pork shoulder cooked in root beer in the slow cooker and it's wonderful too

19Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:36 pm

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Trust me, a Coke will tenderize anything! ex[nod]

20Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:43 pm

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

So true! I actually have baked ham with Coke! I may just try it with the roast!

Hubby even bought a club soda last night, I wonder what that would do?

I'll probably put it all together tonight, so we'll have it tomorrow night, after a very lonnnnng day for me. I have a doctor's appointment, then gotta make a delivery and get taxes done. Also gotta VOTE!

21Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:23 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

Let us know whichever way you try it.

They say you can't taste he beer, but in these recipe's I think you can. I took some of the french dip type to work last week to share with one of the girls I work with. She took what we had leftover at lunch home for her husband, he said he tasted beer even before knowing how it was cooked. It's not the same as actually drinking a beer though. I personally don't care for the flavor of beer for drinking, but do like everything I've ever had cooked in/with it.

22Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:06 am

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

Alrighty... my rump and shoulder are having a nice warm soak!! They are surrounded by aromatic slices of onion, in a bath of au jus! Everyone knows things go better with Coke, so, they're having a Coke and a Smile! ex[giggle]

Now, as far as my BODY goes, can't wait til supper tomorrow, to eat me some french dip sammich!! ex[served]

23Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:00 am

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

It is 2 a.m. and it is sho' smellin' fine up in hur'!!!

Now how in the heck am I supposed to sleep with the smell making me so dadgum HONGRY!?!?! Yes, that's hOngry--not hUngry--the IS a diffrence at our house!!

ex[drool] ex[drool] ex[drool]

24Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:34 am

Bartender

Bartender
Minnow
Minnow

OHH EMM GEE!!!!!

It's only been cooking since about 22:30, and is already tender and ready to be pulled apart.

As hard as it was to do, I DID NOT try to eat a piece of the roast (until it was cool enough I wouldn't burn my mouth) !! ex[fallen]

Ok, night all. Crockpot Italian Beef 998304

25Crockpot Italian Beef Empty Re: Crockpot Italian Beef Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:49 am

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Did the Coke make the au jus sweet, Bartender? I have seen Coke used in BBQ recipes. Since it is cooking so long I would think you could skip the beer all together if you didn't want to use it and just add the au jus packet and water and still end up with tender results.

Sounds delicious. I can't wait to hear how much you enjoyed your dinner.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next