Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Passion Fruit

+2
rosebud
Mikey
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Passion Fruit Empty Passion Fruit Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:21 pm

Mikey

Mikey
Minnow
Minnow

I've grown the passion vine for the flower but last year I bought a fruiting variety of the vine to see what the fruit would taste like. I purchased the cultivar variety named 'Frederick'. Because these vines tend to be invasive, I stuck Frederick in a pot.

The flower looks like this:
Passion Fruit Passiflora003

The unripe fruit growing on the vine looks like this:
Passion Fruit Passiflora007

When the fruit ripens it turns purple (there is also a yellow variety) and falls off the vine. The shell is hard and the pulp inside that you eat is not harmed.
Passion Fruit Passiflora005

Here is the last of this year's crop. The egg is shown for perspective. As you can see, one small vine produces quite a bit of fruit:
Passion Fruit PassionFruit001

I had never eaten fresh passion fruit so it was a new experience for me. Here is one cut open. The yellow pulp and seed easily scoop out with a spoon:
Passion Fruit Passiflora008

The fruit of this variety is sweetly tart and has a definite passion fruit flavor. I first made a punch from the fruit mixing water with the pulp. It was so-so. The seeds can be eaten. I'm still experimenting on how to separate the seeds from the pulp but using a blender at a slow speed seems to work... The next thing I made was passion fruit ice cream and that was to die for. I've now made it twice. Then just two nights ago I had my son pull out a bottle of his white wine and he made a passion fruit sangria. My, my, now that was also tasty.

My Cuban friend Alberto makes really good sangria drinks. I'll be giving him some of my passion fruit to see what he comes up with.... Salud

2Passion Fruit Empty Re: Passion Fruit Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:23 pm

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

I grow the flowering passion vine, but mine has never made fruit. The flowers on mine are a deep dark red. I have mine growing on my fence. I love the flowers. They are so unusual.

3Passion Fruit Empty Re: Passion Fruit Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:37 am

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

I have a passion vine that comes back every year..here in Wisconsin. From all I've read they shouldn't..but it does [IMG]http:///oo .

It is planted near the foundation to the house so does get some warmth, so I suppose that is why. It is VERY invasive and has spread to cover almost the entire back of the house after only being in the ground for 3 years. I have to pull out runners constantly to keep it contained to the two areas where it is really thick. And those runners extend over 6' away from the house.

Passion Fruit 08-23-09yard008

It did bear fruit this year, but we had such a chilly summer that it never seemed to ripen entirely, it was still green by hard frost. Are there types that bear fruit that are not edible? And is it the gel/seeds that you eat? The pulp seems almost papery in consistency, or at least did on the fruit we opened.

Passion Fruit 100_7633

4Passion Fruit Empty Re: Passion Fruit Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:56 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

The flowers are really different and beautiful.

5Passion Fruit Empty Re: Passion Fruit Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:18 am

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

In our area, the vines die back in the winter and come back in the spring. Wish I had taken a picture while mine was in bloom. After last night, there won't be any left! It's 25 degrees here this morning!
Yes, Lari, there are types that bear fruit you can't eat. I didn't know this myself until I read up on them. I'm going to try to keep mine confined to the fence. But since my whole backyard is fenced in, it has a lot of room to grow!
ex[grow]

6Passion Fruit Empty Re: Passion Fruit Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:09 am

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

I'm a little confused..why is half of my post covered over in the middle by bullfrog's post? I've never seen this happen before. Or am I just seeing things?

Never mind...it changed to a normal view right after I asked the question. and posted. ex[giggle]

7Passion Fruit Empty Re: Passion Fruit Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:31 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

Lari wrote:I'm a little confused..why is half of my post covered over in the middle by bullfrog's post? I've never seen this happen before. Or am I just seeing things?

Never mind...it changed to a normal view right after I asked the question. and posted. ex[giggle]

Bear with us, this forum is new to all of us and we are still learning the ropes. It is a free forum so I can't complain but we still have some glitches. At times a reply will disappear but this has not happened to me so I'm thinking it is a server issue. I made a tweak yesterday and hopefully resolved that issue.

8Passion Fruit Empty Re: Passion Fruit Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:45 am

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Hi Lari. Welcome. Your yard and flowers are beautiful.

I didn't go back and read this thread over but isn't there a religious tradition about the formation of this blossom?

9Passion Fruit Empty Re: Passion Fruit Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:10 am

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

bullfrog wrote:
Lari wrote:I'm a little confused..why is half of my post covered over in the middle by bullfrog's post? I've never seen this happen before. Or am I just seeing things?

Bear with us, this forum is new to all of us and we are still learning the ropes. It is a free forum so I can't complain but we still have some glitches. At times a reply will disappear but this has not happened to me so I'm thinking it is a server issue. I made a tweak yesterday and hopefully resolved that issue.

I actually have noticed as I've moved around some more, that the threads open kind of "compressed"(the description that comes to mind) so that a lot of times posts seem to overlap..if I click refresh it puts them in the proper order.

10Passion Fruit Empty Passion flower Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:36 am

wolfmom

wolfmom

Esther, yes there is a religious legend of the passion flower. Here it is:

Legend has it that in 1620 a Jesuit priest in Peru came across the plant we now know as passion flower. Enthralled with its beauty, that night he had a vision likening its floral parts to the elements of the Crucifixion or Passion of Christ. The five petals and five sepals became the ten apostles (omitting Peter and Judas). The three pistils became the nails of the cross; the purple corona (or filaments) was the crown of thorns, and the stemmed ovary was the Lord's goblet.

11Passion Fruit Empty Re: Passion Fruit Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:42 am

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Hey, Wolfmom! I'm glad I went back and read it before I posted again. I was going to relate the story, but you did a much better job than I was going to!

12Passion Fruit Empty Re: Passion Fruit Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:09 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

I thought I had heard that. Once upon a time, a lady gave me some seeds many years ago when the kids were little and I didn't have much time or thought to gardening. I planted the seeds and that summer they grew up the pool fence. But the next year either I forgot and dug around them before they had started to grow or something and they didn't ever grow again. I would love to grow them again as we did put morning glories out there because DH loves the blue ones. BIG MISTAKE. Not only do they reseed forever after, but they attach their little curleyque grabbers to the chain link fence and are a real pain to remove. So I'd like the passion vine better I think.

13Passion Fruit Empty Re: Passion Fruit Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:11 pm

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Caution, Esther! Passion vines also cling to your chain link fence and are difficult to remove!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]