Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

A Question for the ladies

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A Question for the ladies Empty A Question for the ladies Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:04 pm

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

This question is about wedding etiquette. My nephew is getting married in June. It is an evening wedding, a fairly large one, in a church. I have a lovely dress I bought for my Easter dress. It is a long one. One of my sisters says that guests DO NOT wear long dresses to weddings. Only the wedding party does. Is she right? If so, I have to go buy another dress! Sometimes this sister makes me sooo upset! She thinks she knows everything about what is proper and what is not. I'd appreciate any advice y'all can give me.

2A Question for the ladies Empty Re: A Question for the ladies Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:15 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

I don't know that I have ever seen anyone wear a long dress to a wedding other than the wedding party. BUTTTTT if I had one already and didn't want to shorten it, I'd wear it. I'd be darned if I would buy a new one just for one wedding. My opinion is that they had better be more concerned that you bothered to come to their wedding and bring a gift than what you are wearing. Hey, is there any way you can fold up the bottom temporarily. LOL.

Is the problem with it being long that you are trying to show up the wedding party? You could wear a sign that says, "I am not in the wedding party."

Years ago, it was unheard of for a lady to wear pants to church for services. Now they not only wear pants but wear jeans or shorts too. Not just THEY, I wear pants and have worn dress jeans with dressy shoes and top. SO THERE!!!

Last Sunday, our pastor wore black pants and a black and grey striped shirt----open collar. Two young men in the center aisle taking up the offering and one of them wore a shirt that the tail hung down his backsides. I remember back when one of the faithful members who hated wearing suits was told he couldn't be an usher because he didn't have a jacket and tie on. OHHHH that made my blood boil.

Tell your sister if she wants you to wear something else to pick something out of your closet or buy you something she approves of. ex[tongue]

3A Question for the ladies Empty Re: A Question for the ladies Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:41 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

My friends and relatives wouldn't give a hoot about what I wore, especially a nephew. His bride might though. LOL. I don't think I want to go to a wedding that is giving me so much worry about how I look. Just me I guess. I'd have to leave Pete home anyway because he's never had or worn a tux.

4A Question for the ladies Empty Re: A Question for the ladies Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:49 am

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

I've never heard that guests should not wear floor length dresses, especially if the wedding is a formal one. I have been to many a wedding where guests wear long dresses. Maybe etiquette/tradition is different in different parts of the country.

If your sister is going to get in a snit about it sometimes it is better just to keep the peace. Do you have a friend who might have something you could borrow? Do you have something in your closet that you could dress up with some accessories? Maybe you could find something at a consignment or resale store for a good price.

I know what you mean about spending money on a outfit to wear once to a wedding. I just cleaned my closet and I found several things that I have only worn once or twice. The sad thing is that most of them I don't fit in anymore - I'm working on it though so I'm hanging on to them.

Last edited by fishlipsmcgee on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:51 am; edited 2 times in total

5A Question for the ladies Empty Re: A Question for the ladies Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:37 am

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

By June (the wedding month), I may have to buy another dress anyway. I've lost 10 pounds in one month! If I lose much more, the dress I have will be too BIG! Whoopie! A Question for the ladies 265366

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum