Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

canning squash

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1canning squash Empty canning squash Thu May 20, 2010 10:59 am

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Has anybody here ever canned squash before? We have it running out our ears! I don't like it after it's been frozen. It seems kind of mushy. We have a pressure canner. I've canned beans, peas, tomatoes, and okra, but never squash. It's the white, flat, scalloped kind.

ex[farmer]

2canning squash Empty Re: canning squash Thu May 20, 2010 12:10 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

We never raised that type of squash. Ours were more huge orange things and mother canned the mush that resulted after cutting off the rind, throwing out the seeds and insides and cooking it. When you serve that type, how do you cook it? Don't you just cut it up and cook until tender. You don't peel it do you? Why wouldn't it can just like beans? Hey, Google it. Somebody must have done it before. Do they call your white squash, something like pattipan? I bet this would end up a bit mushy too but then again, if you didn't cook it as long maybe not.

3canning squash Empty Re: canning squash Thu May 20, 2010 1:21 pm

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Yeah, it's called pattipan. I just cut it up and smother it. You can use it in a casserole just like any other squash too. I guess I'll try doing it like the beans & just not cook it as long. Won't hurt to try one batch like that. If it doesn't turn out good, no great loss! There is plenty more!

4canning squash Empty Re: canning squash Thu May 20, 2010 2:27 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

That type of squash doesn't really have much of a distinct flavor anyway so it could be fried with bacon and onion or put in with spagetti or casseroles if it turns out a little more mushy than you like.

5canning squash Empty Re: canning squash Thu May 20, 2010 10:43 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

I tried looking up recipe's for canning summer squash and there don't seem to be any.

It's not recommended to can any summer squashes or zuchini because apparently they are considered a soft veggie and in order to cook them hot enough and long enough to be sure to kill all potential bacteria's that might cause botulism or food poisioning they would cook to mush and not really be any good.

of the several sites I looked at, all recommended freezing, but you already said you don't like it that way.

Sorry to not be of any help. ex[farmer]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum