Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Carniverous plants next to pond

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Carniverous plants next to pond on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:12 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
Last year I tried to pot my carniverous plants in a floating pot and place it in my pond. First off, it didn't look right in the pond, and it wanting to end up right in front of the water return. Seccond, the plants themselves just wouldn't grow. So I took them out and planted them in the ground next to the pond figuring, if they die, they die. As fate would have it, they are doing fine growing in the middle of the wooley thyme, and appear to be healthy. They didn't grow much this last summer, but I figure that they are still getting established to the soil and suroundings and will do better next summer.

The only major problem I am having this at this point are the slugs and cut worms eating and killing some of my wooley thyme and irish moss at the roots. Any suggestions?

View user profile http://www.picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

2 Re: Carniverous plants next to pond on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:33 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Can't you just use slug bait for the slugs? I've heard cut worms don't like sharp things laying on the dirt like oyster shells,egg shells (I find the best way to get rid of cutworms is to save all your egg shells throughout the winter. Leave in your freezer over the winter. When planting your plants, crush the egg shells and sprinkle the crushed egg shells around the plants just below the surface. What happens? Crawling over the egg shells will cause the cutworms to dehydrate and die. Also I think they don't like wood ashes or epsom salt. Someone suggested using 3 Tbsp. Dawn dish soap to 1 gallon of water. The soap solution gets into the cutworms system, and kills them immediately. They say it works great but I've never tried it. Hope this helps ex[happy]

zone 7
View user profile

3 Re: Carniverous plants next to pond on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:22 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
I was at lowe's yesterday to pick up a 10' x 12' tarp to protect my hot tub cover from the weather, and a I spotted a 'Purple Pitcher' that was marked down from $19.95 to $3.00, so I snatched it up too. I went ahead and planted it next to my pond in and amoungst the wooley thyme. I ended up doing the same with my other purple pitcher and cobra lilly last year, and they did well all year round. Even in the freeze. They are hardy little buggers. The landscape around my pond is getting to look a bit more natural now.

4 Re: Carniverous plants next to pond on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:44 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I see those plants on the clearance rack sometimes too and I may just pick one up the next time I see one on sale.
You wouldn't think they'd make it in the winter but if you say they do I believe you

zone 7
View user profile

5 Re: Carniverous plants next to pond on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:04 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
Many of these plnats grow in Oregon, and many other staes throughout the union.

6 Re: Carniverous plants next to pond on Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:42 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Well I just think it's really cool. Must be some that you see in garden stores that are from tropical areas do you think? How do you know if you bring home the hardy ones? Have you ever had any kinds die?

zone 7
View user profile

7 Re: Carniverous plants next to pond on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:08 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
Most of these carniverous plants are not tropical and grow here in the US. They grow in the swamps and wet marshlands where temps get down into the teens during the winter months. There is quite a bit of information about the different varieties of carniverous plants and there origins online.

8 Re: Carniverous plants next to pond on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:43 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Ok thanks Rick ex[happy]

zone 7
View user profile

9 Re: Carniverous plants next to pond on Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:34 pm

Oldmarine

Minnow
Minnow
The last bargen purple pitcher that i put next to the pond doesn't look like it will make it. To early to tell. My first thought was to let it get established in the house first, and then plant it next to the pond in the spring. That's what I will do from now on. Otherwise, the other two seem to be taking this radical northwest weather in stride.

Happy ponding, ex[frog]

10 Re: Carniverous plants next to pond on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:46 pm

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Really cool that two are doing well anyway. I hope the other one comes back for you in the house. Seems like the pretty colored plants are always less hardy ex[grow]

zone 7
View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum