Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Growing Lotus

+2
Oldmarine
Lari
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Growing Lotus Empty Growing Lotus Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:13 pm

I am attempting to start my first lotus'. Short of ording some form some online store, on the advice from another ponder I opted to go over to the local craft store and pick up some dried lotus seed pods for $3.99. After picking them apart, I ended up with eighteen lotus seeds. Following the instructions I found online on how to germinate lotus seeds, I proceeded to get thirteen of the eighteen seeds to sprout. That was two weeks ago, and now I have the thirteen sprouting seeds in potting mix in peat moss pots sitting in nine inches of water in a twenty gallon aquarium in front of a upstairs window. I set up aqaurium and potted the lotus sprouts three days ago and the sprouts are now just touching the surface of the water. The first leaves have not opened just yet, but I would expect the leaves to be open in about another week.

I have know idea what kind of lotus these will end up being. I have to assume the dried seed pods are from China, so I'll just have to wait and see.

Happy ponding,

Rich ex[flag] ex[Koi]

2Growing Lotus Empty Lotus seeds Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:55 pm

Hi JW,

The craft store lotus seed pods from what I can tell are used in different flower arangments and other crafty things that I am NOT into. I read something awhile back about someone trying to germinate lotus seeds from craft store lotus seed pods because they were cheap. After doing the online search for a good variety of different and exotic lotus seeds, I realized how expensive some of them can be. Okay, call me a tightwad, but I just wanted to give it a shot. So far, the thirteen lotus plant starts that have growing are doing well, and were easier to germinate and start than I thought it would be.

I may end up putting some of them in half barrels and lining my driveway with them. Maybe giving some of them away or even for trade.

Happy ponding,

Rich ex[pillow]

3Growing Lotus Empty Re: Growing Lotus Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:08 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

How are you planning to plant them?

I will say I had excellent results following Joyce Gregonis's method of using composted manure and osmocote. I got blooms the first and only year that I tried them from two different varieties.

I'd like sometime in the future to have something dug deep enough to try to overwinter some outside but it hasn't happened yet.

4Growing Lotus Empty Planting lotus Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:25 pm

Hi Lari,

I'm leaning towards Joyce's method of using composted manure and osmocote. Based on the great testimonial and outstanding pictures, Im not sure if I would try anything else at this time. I plan on putting each lotus plant in a recomended plant container and then placing each one of those into a plastic 55 gallon half barrel with water from my pond. I now have four white plastic 55 gallon barrels that had laundromat soap in them waiting to be cut in half. I have access to a good source of mosquito fish and I will be putting mosquito fish in each barrel half with the lotus plants well after the water has balanced out.

Happy ponding,

Rich sunny

5Growing Lotus Empty Re: Growing Lotus Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:03 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

Super I hope they do well and you share pictures of them in bloom with us!

6Growing Lotus Empty Lotus Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:26 pm

Lari,

I'm still fusing with posting a picture sometime, but I would like to get to the point where I can at least post pictures in progression of my lotus as they grow.

Happy ponding,

Rich ex[smile2]

7Growing Lotus Empty Lotus seeds from india Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:55 am

Just an up date. I have potted eight of the thirteen lotus sprouts outside in 55 gallon barrel halfs in the compost and in about four inches of water from the pond. I potted one each in a barrel half, eight total next to my driveway. Most of the sprouts are eight to ten inches long, and starting their third set of leaves. None of the leaves have open up yet. I have to admit, I await eagerly to see what the next several weeks will bring.

Happy ponding,

Rich Growing Lotus 265366

8Growing Lotus Empty Lotus? or not Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:36 pm

JW,

That's my only concern. I have no idea what these will look like. The label on the package that the lotus seed pods came in says they are from india. The lotus is the National flower in India. These could even be a wild variety, I guess I will find out. With my luck these won't be a hardy variety. (I had to re-read the label). I originally assumed they were from China.

Happy ponding,

Rich ex[smile2]

9Growing Lotus Empty indoors Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:24 pm

I have a room in the back of the garage that is insulated. It used to be a tropical fish room. When I was little my father raised and bread tropical fish of all kinds to support his hobby. I could store some plants in there over the winter if I had to.

Happy ponding,

10Growing Lotus Empty Lotus Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:00 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

Time for an update on my attempt to start lotus from seed. Everything died. I started the lotus seeds way to early and then put them outside while we still had some frost at night. Freddie is giving me a hand with a line on some lotus tubers. When I get them they will potted indoors for a few weeks until know it's safe to put them out in the half barrels. I have admit, I'm excited about getting them started. I have only seen real live lotus plants blooming once in my life, and I think it would be great to have some of my own admire.

Happy ponding, Growing Lotus 265366

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

11Growing Lotus Empty Re: Growing Lotus Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:37 pm

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

There is a Buddist temple here in Port arthur that has beautiful gardens with ponds everywhere. They have some gorgeous lotus! I do hope you can grow some. They are a joy to behold!

12Growing Lotus Empty Lotus Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:00 am

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

I have scouted around around here in Tacoma for a local pond supplier that might have a good source and variety of lotus. I found 'Oaktree pond supply' about two miles from my house, but they will only order a few from their supplier upon request. Oaktree's lotus' start at about $35.00 each. If you want a specific variety of lotus it could cost up to $50.00 each.

Happy ponding, ex[hammer]

13Growing Lotus Empty Re: Growing Lotus Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:58 am

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Wow, that's a lot to pay for something that might not survive even! Hmm, have you tried the on line catalogs?

14Growing Lotus Empty Lotus Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:47 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

I've checked out a few of them. The only advantage to buying from the local pond guy at Oaktree is that I can actually see the plant that I might purchase and then take it directly home with me.
I also like the idea of a give away once in awhile. If I had extra plants I would offer them to my fellow ponders at no cost.

Happy ponding,

15Growing Lotus Empty Lotus Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

Hi JW,
Thank you for asking. Freddie is helping me with that. He is sending me some tubers that he acquired, and he has extras he is sending. He's quite a guy.

By the way, thanks to both of you for the effort you both put forth to figure out my computer problem. My son has recommended that it is time to look into buying a new computer.

Happy ponding, :ex[easter4]:

16Growing Lotus Empty Lotus tubers arrived today from Freddie Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:56 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

Awsome job Freddie!!!! Thank you, I received the lotus tubers today. They are already in the half barrels, and look good.

Happy ponding,

17Growing Lotus Empty Lotus Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:13 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

I think I'm prepared. My hope is to cover the barrels if there is any further chance of frost or temperature drop. The water in the barrels is right around 50* to 55*F.

Happy ponding, Growing Lotus 750573

18Growing Lotus Empty Re: Growing Lotus Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:26 pm

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

my understanding is that a little frost won't hurt it one bit....a hard freeze will though.
I bet you guys up there in Washington are out of woods as far as freezing weather goes
but I guess better safe than sorry. I'm waiting a couple more weeks here but then again our pond water is just now in the mid 40 degree mark and our "last frost day" is May 15
Good Luck with your Lotus and hopefully we can share our pictures here later this summer

19Growing Lotus Empty lotus Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:31 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

Hey JW, we need a update photo of the lotus in the picture noted above.

Happy ponding, ex[rain

20Growing Lotus Empty lotus Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:30 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

Yeah, I guess you're right. My tubers really hasn't done much either. The tips are a bit greener.

Happy ponding,

21Growing Lotus Empty Re: Growing Lotus Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:46 pm

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

Hey Guys...
My Lotus are looking the same.In other words not much happening....Just wait till it warms up some more and they should "take off"
I plant mine in half-barrels and haven't figured out how to over-winter them. Last year they froze solid.
I am trying a couple smaller varieties in 10 gallon pots that I have put in the pond.
Sorry I haven't been on here much lately, I'll try to get some pictures posted when I see some growth on mine
Have faith my friends

22Growing Lotus Empty Re: Growing Lotus Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:26 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

The first year I tried growing lotus I had fabulous success with blooms on lotus started from seeds. The past two years though I have had not tried to grow any because we've had overall very chilly springs with late summers the last two years. I think lotus need some tropical like temps to do well.

Here's a pic from when I did have them though.

Growing Lotus 100_3210

I wish you luck!

Last edited by Lari on Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

23Growing Lotus Empty Lotus Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:09 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

I guess we can dream, haa? I'm hoping to have te same results.

Happy ponding,

24Growing Lotus Empty Lotus Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:36 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

Okay, I had to run out and look at mine. Darn, nothing changing yet.

25Growing Lotus Empty Re: Growing Lotus Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:40 am

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

Looking good jw.....warmer weather and they should "take off"
beautiful bloom there Lari...Is that "Russian Red"???
There isn't much going with mine yet
Hang in there Rich

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum