Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Floating thoughts

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Floating thoughts Empty Floating thoughts Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:53 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

On another forum someone asked about ways to float plants and this is part of my thoughts. I'll copy my thread and bring it over.

Floating thoughts Feedin11

Last edited by Esther on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Floating thoughts Empty Re: Floating thoughts Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:05 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Forgot to get the other part of the thread..

Yes, expandable foam, polyeurthane of latex can be applied to pots to keep them afloat. ANDDDD you can get it in black. It is more expensive but maybe would blend in better with the water surface. Great Stuff is at places like your local hardware store and big box stores as Home Depot or Lowes. I purchased the black at my pond store. But have used both to plug holes between rocks etc. The cream colored stuff loses it's color quickly and ends up a kind of olive green when it is exposed to the elements.

There is a foam that comes in 6-8' length that is split and hollow to use to insulate your water pipes. It also has a sticky edge and when you peel off the coating, the edges will stick together. It is a very dark gray/black color. I have layed nylon rope inside and and then stuck the edges of the insulation together and have it tethered at the base of my waterfall to keep the splash/ripples under control. I made a circle of the insulation and looped on a piece of weed whacker string to tether it to the shore and use it for a feeding ring. Glued it with hot glue.

Some use hula hoops to float stuff. You can make your hoola hoops whatever size you want by taking them apart at the seam by pulling out the staples or whatever is in there and then cut away what you don't want. Then put it back together and seal the edges with hot glue or caulk of some sort so they won't fill with water.

About 17 years ago, I took a hula hoop apart and DH held the torch at the spots we wanted it to bend, and made a huge heart. I then made a wide lace ruffle with a hem casing wide enough to slide it on to the hoop, hotglued the top of the heart together and spread the ruffle so it was evenly placed and put some silk flowers on it that matched the flowers my now daughter in law was using for their wedding. It hung at the front of the church. Wonder where the pictures are.

A slab of styrofoam with holes cut the size of your pot, in it will work. What about not putting the plants in soil in a pot. Could they be floated without soil?

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum