Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Plants I found on my walk

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Plants I found on my walk Empty Floating plants Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:27 pm

I remember a time when I thought it would be great to put duck weed in one my aquariums. It was fine until I tried to get rid of it. I've never seen any plant spread so fast.

Happy Ponding,

Rich

2Plants I found on my walk Empty Re: Plants I found on my walk Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:19 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

when I first saw the Subject of this thread, I thought someone had left a bag of plants on your sidewalk. LOL

3Plants I found on my walk Empty Re: Plants I found on my walk Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:54 pm

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

You know it's really weird..........I can't keep the stuff for very long in my pond. I think my fish are eating it all up. I will have to find a ton of it somewhere in order to keep ahead of those piggy fishes  ex[fish][/quote]

I had the same problem.  I used to spend $$$ buying duckweed.  Now that I don't have my koi any more  ex[cry]  I don't think I will have that problem.

I have heard that it was VERY invasive and hard to get rid of.

4Plants I found on my walk Empty Re: Plants I found on my walk Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:28 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

You know it's really weird..........I can't keep the stuff for very long in my pond. I think my fish are eating it all up. I will have to find a ton of it somewhere in order to keep ahead of those piggy fishes  ex[fish][/quote]

Actually the ducks are smoking it.

5Plants I found on my walk Empty Re: Plants I found on my walk Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:47 am

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

bullfrog wrote:You know it's really weird..........I can't keep the stuff for very long in my pond. I think my fish are eating it all up. I will have to find a ton of it somewhere in order to keep ahead of those piggy fishes  ex[fish]

Actually the ducks are smoking it.[/quote]
:[IMG]http://i2  ex[lol27]

6Plants I found on my walk Empty Re: Plants I found on my walk Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:59 am

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

I have goldies.  I had to give away my koi as she had grown too large for my pond.  It's a miracle she did so well there.  It is only 2 feet deep and I only have a submersible pump and filter.  I hope she is doing well.  I don't hear from the lady I gave her to.  I found her on AP and noticed that she lived only about a half hour away.  When they came to take her and saw how large she was they seemed very happy.  I hope they didn't sell her.  I saw one about her size in a pond store for #300.00.

Plants I found on my walk 100_0010

Plants I found on my walk Opal-210

7Plants I found on my walk Empty Re: Plants I found on my walk Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:43 am

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Duckweed never lasted with my Koi. They loved it and thought it was salad. They never bothered my lily plants though and some do. Another problem I had with it was that my pump was so strong, it would pull anything not anchored down into the skimmer.

8Plants I found on my walk Empty Duck weed Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:49 am

I would imagine it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep some duck weed growing in a tub out in the sun. Then you might have a big enough surplus of duck weed to feed to your pond fish. I have noticed that my shubunkins nibble at the long roots of my floating frog bit.

Happy ponding,

Rich ex[frog] ex[frog] ex[frog]

9Plants I found on my walk Empty Duck weed Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:04 pm

I had that problem with my skimmer, so I installed a 3" PVC pipe attachment that pulled the water from below the surface. In your case, I'm not sure what you could do short of putting in a floating fence that prevent floating plants from drawing close to the water fall.

Happy ponding,

Rich ex[happy]

10Plants I found on my walk Empty Duck weed Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:46 pm

It must be a good dietary suppliment or they wouldn't be eating it so fast. I'll have to get hands on some and do the same thing. I don't know of anywhere it is growing wild here in the Tacoma area, but now I'll have to keep my eyes open. I know it can be purchased online at: www.tricker.com, but they charge to much for shipping.

Happy ponding,

Rich Plants I found on my walk 139955

11Plants I found on my walk Empty Freecycle.....................? Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give freecycle a try.

Happy ponding,

Rich   ex[surprise]

12Plants I found on my walk Empty Duck weed Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:54 pm

Thanks for the offer. I sent you a message.

Happy ponding,

Rich   :ex[stpats]:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum