Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Not Recommended Pond Plants

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Not Recommended Pond Plants Empty Not Recommended Pond Plants Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:08 am

Mikey

Mikey
Minnow
Minnow

I purchased an "Umbrella Plant" (Cyperus alternifolius “Gracilis) when I first built my pond. The roots loved pulling nutrients out of the water and I found myself having to repot this thing every year. In addition, it drops seeds and I found volunteers popping up everywhere. I eventually grew tired of it because it was high maintenance. I tossed it out about 5 years ago. Today I saw three of these plants growing outside of my pond in the paths around the pond.....

I've got other pond plants I don't recommend but I thought I would get off my soap box and allow someone else to share about their problem pond plants....

2Not Recommended Pond Plants Empty Re: Not Recommended Pond Plants Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:17 pm

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

We have the umbrella palm also. But, in zone 5 I don't think it will survive the winter. I plan on getting another in the spring along with the papyrus cause they lend a tropical look to our mid western backyard habitat. I don't think that they will self-sow here. I don't want too many self-sowers in our yard as they can get out of hand. Northern-oats grass comes to mind...beautiful grass but rampant self-sower

3Not Recommended Pond Plants Empty Parrot Feather Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:21 pm

I have had nothing but trouble with the parrot feather that was given to me last spring. At first they spread real nice and created good cover for the three Cascadia frogs that transplanted in to my pond, (I should say yard). The parrot feather is quite nice to look at, but I no idea the rascals were secretly sneaking around and dropping roots in to every other pot that came close to. Quite intusive they are, Yoda would say. So this year everything is being re-potted so that I can remove what parrot feather roots that I can find.

Happy ponding,

Rich ex[giggle] ex[doh]

4Not Recommended Pond Plants Empty Reptting Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:01 pm

Since my last posting, (a few hours ago) I transplanted all of my pond plants. Water lilies, mini cat tails, purple pickeral weed, and the horse tali rush. Then I remembered that I promised some parrot feather to the koiguy, (at Garden Ponder Forum). I'm quite certain that I didn't get all of the roots and the parrot feather will pop up some where in my pond.

Happy ponding,

Rich  ex[out]

Last edited by OldMarine on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

5Not Recommended Pond Plants Empty Re: Not Recommended Pond Plants Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:50 pm

Freddie Peepers

Freddie Peepers
Minnow
Minnow

we had quite a bit of parrots feather in our pond last summer...I'm just wondering if any of it survived the winter here. I see the anacharis down at the bottom and think at least some of it has survived. No sign of the parrots feather though, but it did spread pretty quickly so I can see how it could become a problem

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum