Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Carniverous plants

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Carniverous plants Empty Carniverous plants Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:09 am

I recently look an interest in carniverous plants, especially when I found out that many are not tropical and can be found in many cooler regions of the United States. After doing a considerable amount of online searching and reading, I found that raising many of Sarracenia's are easy and simple to care for.

I just happened to find a Purple Pitcher (sarracenia purpurea), and a Red Pitcher (sarracenia rubra) on a bargen shelf at Lowes, and I figured if I don't someone else will. So I did. They are potted with the recomended potting mixture and moss in a round screen basket that fits into a stirofoam ring that will make it into a floating basket for the pond. As soon as the weather warms up enough for them to go out, I will float them in my pond.

Happy ponding,

Rich :[IMG]peace0025

2Carniverous plants Empty Re: Carniverous plants Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:31 am

bullfrog

bullfrog
Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter

We have Pitcher Plants growing in the Baygalls around here. Baygalls are the low lying areas near the river bottoms. There is a place near here called the "Roy E. Larson Sandyland Sanctuary" that was donated as a nature preserve just because of the diversity of the plant life. You can walk hardwoods, desert like places with cactus, baygalls and a creek all within 100 yards.

3Carniverous plants Empty interseting Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:52 pm

When I was a kid the Baygalls that you refer to used to be swamps, then they became marshes, now they are called wetlands. The wetlands have become natural refuges for wild life, and they aren't to be disturbed by any urban expansion. I don't remember the wild life ever leaving the swamps.

Happy ponding,

Rich ex[giggle]

4Carniverous plants Empty Follow up Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:01 am

[quote="OldMarine"]I recently look an interest in carniverous plants, especially when I found out that many are not tropical and can be found in many cooler regions of the United States. After doing a considerable amount of online searching and reading, I found that raising many of Sarracenia's are easy and simple to care for.

I just happened to find a Purple Pitcher (sarracenia purpurea), and a Red Pitcher (sarracenia rubra) on a bargen shelf at Lowes, and I figured if I don't someone else will. So I did. They are potted with the recomended potting mixture and moss in a round screen basket that fits into a stirofoam ring that will make it into a floating basket for the pond. As soon as the weather warms up enough for them to go out, I will float them in my pond.

Just as a follow up, I have the pitcher plants noted in the above quote potted ina round basket with a stiro foam ring around it to keep afloat, and placed in my pond. It's been in my pond now for about two weeks, and seems to be doing quite well at this point.

Happy ponding,

Rich ex[wink1]

5Carniverous plants Empty Rain, Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:40 pm

Your right about the coming rain. I check this site out daily, and it has been quite accurate.  http://www.wunderground.com/

I'm glad I got the spring cleanup done over the weekend.

Happy ponding,

ex[rain

6Carniverous plants Empty Native plants Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:36 pm

It is interesting how many native aquatic plants that we have in the northwest. I've done a little bit of reading about native aquatic plants around here, I found many are/or can be extremely intrusive in a small pond enviroment. Many of those die off in the fall and make a come back in the early spring providing the substarte they are in isn't disturbed or removed. Plants that grow in ditches or culverts have a good chance growing again in the spring when the weather warms up.

One of the only plants that I have in my pond that is native of this area is the 'horse tail rush'. I found a large patch of it growing along side the road near a local park. It was growing in a spot that stays wet and swampy all year round. Horse tail ruch can really get out of control if you don't keep it contained in something.

Happy ponding,

7Carniverous plants Empty Out a hand Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:20 pm

I like your new title, (Master B.S.er)

I also like your use it or chuck theory. I kinda think along the same lines.

Happy ponding,

Rich  Carniverous plants 265366

8Carniverous plants Empty Horse tail rush Thu May 06, 2010 8:02 am

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

I don't know about anywhere else, but we have horse tail rush that grows wild here in the Tacoma, WA area. I dug up a clump a couple of years ago and it doesn't take much encouraging to get it to grow. It really grows well when I water it with sludge from cleaning my pre-filter. I have the horse tail rush growing in several different pots now, and one smaller pot is growing in my pond on a shelf.

Happy ponding, ex[frog]

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

9Carniverous plants Empty Re: Carniverous plants Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

Hi , there are two kinds wild horse tail rush that grows here in the Tacoma, WA area. One likes the wet swampy ground more than the other, and it gets about three to four feet tall, and it look like green wips. The other will grow in almost any ground, and are a foot high, and they look like bottle brushes. This bottle brush type grows more like a weed and once is has established itself it is hard to get rid of. Despite the fact that it will spread and has to be weeded out some from season to season, the first horse tail rush that I mentioned is quite complimentary to any bog area of a pond. This one is easier to control if potted.

Happy ponding,

10Carniverous plants Empty Re: Carniverous plants Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:07 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

Well, I'm glad I don't remember my last life because I'm sure I didn't but only one. The tall horse tail rush that I have somewhat dimesticated(sp) has managed to adapt the two different environments I it planted in. I have set potted in my pond on a shelf, and several other sets growing in pots outside the pond. The sets growing out of the water are doing better than the one in the pond. Not sure why.

Happy ponding,

11Carniverous plants Empty Re: Carniverous plants Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:54 am

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

We have a huge public garden here in Grand Rapids that has indoor stuff too. One of the areas is for canivorous stuff. I don't know how they feed them. Maybe let a bunch of flies loose in there.

12Carniverous plants Empty Re: Carniverous plants Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:15 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

Is your neighbors horse tail rush look like a bottle brush, or is it about three to four feet long and as straight as a bare stick?

13Carniverous plants Empty Re: Carniverous plants Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Oldmarine

Oldmarine
Minnow
Minnow

This type of horse tail rush spreads seeds like crazy and are extremely hard to totally kill off. The other type is easier to control, unless it is planted in a bog area that stays damp. By potting the latter, it can be controlled and looks good in a pond bog.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum