pond pictures from last summer on a cold winter's day

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

here are some picture from last summer around our pond and yard

lilies blooming

View user profile

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
OHHHH, makes me sad. HEYYY, do you have blue lilies, hardy ones?? Not hardy?? Then how do you winter them over??

Sure is a nice pond and surroundings. Thanks for sharing.

the blue lilies are tropical and i did not try to overwinter them so in other words they were like annuals in the pond.
Considering how much money I spend each spring on "land flowers" they were really a bargain, and next year I will get some more and try to overwinter them

View user profile

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox
I have wished over and over for blue hardies and I think they have recently come up with one but there hasn't been time to sell them yet.

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Freddie, your pond and all your flowers are lovely. I bet it doesn't look quite like that now eh? Do you have lots of snow there? Those blues are very pretty and I too agree w/ Esther about getting some blue hardies whenever they come out

zone 7
View user profile

bullfrog

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
That looks great Freddie, the pond looks huge. How big is it?

Our pond is approx. 16 feet long and about 12 feet wide and
in the middle about 3 1/2 feet deep

View user profile

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Your pond is about the same size as mine Freddie. I think mine is about 2500 gals. How do you manage to keep the herons away? I had to put a short fence and fish line too among various wind chimes, flailing foil, shrubs and various other gadgets and by george I may have finally succeeded in winning the battle...............so far anyway ex[happy]

zone 7
View user profile

this is how it looks now
And as far as herons go.....
they have yet to discover it. We live about a block from a lake and I've seen herons fly over our yard but never once have they landed. I realize that we are taking a risk but I don't want to use a net or put up a fence to deter them so we try not to get "too" attached to our fish. That has now become a problem because my wife has taught them to eat out of our hands and all 10 have gotten names
I like to think that because the pond is so close to the house and with 3 dogs around that maybe the herons will stay away

View user profile

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Ours looked like that about a week ago............brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, makes me shiver just looking at it. So you keep your falls running all year eh? I shut mine off this year and just run a couple bubblers to keep holes in the ice when it freezes over. Yep your dogs prolly keep the heron away. My pond is right in front of our front porch and the heron comes right up to it so I don't thing they care how close it is to your house but they would care about the dogs. I hope Mr Heron finds enough fish in the lake by you so he doesn't come looking for yours.

zone 7
View user profile

fishlipsmcgee

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
I love your falls, Freddie - not too steep and really natural looking. They would look great with my pond. It's not something I would try myself. I actually need a whole rebuild. Errosion has caused my edges to fail on half of the pond nearest the house. The whole yard slopes down from the house and it took a few years to show damage. I put it off for the past two years. This spring I have got to do something. I am dreading it.

"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth."--Ronald Reagan
View user profile

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
Dec 14th snow day pond pic. You can see the hole where the little bubbler keeps the ice clear.

zone 7
View user profile
[color=blue]Oh I like the way you have the little windchimes around it. Once those darn herons find a snack bar it's hard to stop them. good luck.

View user profile

jw

Master Bullshitter
Master Bullshitter
I do try just about everything to keep those bugger birds away. Now I have added some fishing line around it also cuz Mr Bird was standing out there one day just glaring in at my little fishies

zone 7
View user profile

rosebud

Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws
Freddie, your pond looks so serene and peaceful. I'll bet it has a calming effect on your nerves. I wish my husband would let me have one. He says it's just one more thing he'd have to mow around. At least I have my rose garden.
:[IMG]/rosey.gi

View user profile

16 Nice Pond on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:41 pm

Great pond freddie.

Happy ponding,

Rich

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum