Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

First Flowers of Spring

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1First Flowers of Spring Empty First Flowers of Spring Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

It was an absolutely beautiful day out today.

I was doing some spring cleanup and was quite excited when I saw this little iris blooming. It's a miniature iris I got a clump of from my neighbor last year. It only gets about 6 inches tall if that. I'm actually amazed that it was blooming so early. I'm sure glad I didn't miss it.

First Flowers of Spring First_10

The only other thing that's blooming in my yard so far are the jonquils.

First Flowers of Spring First_11

2First Flowers of Spring Empty Re: First Flowers of Spring Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:56 pm

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Absolutely beautifiul!

3First Flowers of Spring Empty Re: First Flowers of Spring Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:31 pm

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

I love pansies. They look like they are made of velvet! Those are beautiful.

4First Flowers of Spring Empty Re: First Flowers of Spring Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:03 am

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

JW, I planted a black lace elderberry in the front corner of our front yard last year too. I love the color and the feathery leaves too.

I have one japanese red maple, but it's the type with the larger leaves. I would like the feathery leaf type, but at this point I just don't know where I'd put it, so that's why I don't have one.

5First Flowers of Spring Empty Re: First Flowers of Spring Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:28 am

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

JW, have you ever noticed the birds after they eat the elderberries? They actually get drunk! I've seen them get so drunk that they can't fly!

6First Flowers of Spring Empty Re: First Flowers of Spring Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Mikey

Mikey
Minnow
Minnow

Very pretty and cheerful. Thanks for sharing

7First Flowers of Spring Empty Re: First Flowers of Spring Sat May 01, 2010 1:36 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

It's early here in Wisconsin yet..but I have some lovely double ruffle daffodils, and I also have some more iris blooming. These are called Baby Bliss or something like that. They are reblooming iris, meaning they bloom in the spring and again in the fall.

First Flowers of Spring 01510

First Flowers of Spring 01610

First Flowers of Spring 01010

First Flowers of Spring 01210

8First Flowers of Spring Empty Re: First Flowers of Spring Sat May 01, 2010 8:51 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

JW,

I hadn't heard of them before I got these either.

This is where I got them. http://www.bluejiris.com/

I got them year before last, they ship in July if I remember correctly. I got 5 different rebloomers. But there are a LOT of different ones on the website.

They were under $5.00 each for the ones I got. They were small, just single tubers, but they all survived and grew and multiplied last year and I did get blooms from a couple in the spring and fall and the others just in the fall except for these dwarf ones. They didn't bloom last year at all, but did spread. Overall though, for newly planted iris that was actually quite good. I hadn't expected blooms at all the first year. This year they all have grown and spread some more, and the spring buds are coming out on all of them and these small ones are blooming like crazy.

In a couple of years I'll probably be looking to rehome some when they outgrow their spaces.

9First Flowers of Spring Empty Re: First Flowers of Spring Sun May 02, 2010 9:45 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

One of my purple ones is blooming today. I think this is "constant companion" but I have to find the tag to be sure. You can see the difference in the height of the taller purple compared to the short dwarf yellow one in this picture.

First Flowers of Spring 05-02-10

A close up

First Flowers of Spring 05-02-11

10First Flowers of Spring Empty Re: First Flowers of Spring Mon May 03, 2010 4:45 pm

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Are they really peonies in the background? If they are, would you post a picture when they bloom? Back in the 60s, I lived in Marietta, Georgia. I had peonies there. They were so beautiful! We can't grow them down here.

11First Flowers of Spring Empty Re: First Flowers of Spring Mon May 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Lari

Lari
Minnow
Minnow

Yes, Pink peonies behind. I'll post pictures later when they bloom. But I'll share this one now, from about 4 years ago, when they were at their ultimate.

First Flowers of Spring Peony110

We installed central air and some of the peonies had to be sacrificed to make room for it. But I've kept them on each side. I've planted the reblooming iris in front of the AC now, but they don't enitrely hide it just yet. I'm hoping as they spread and thicken that they will camoflage it eventually but still leave the room necessary for it to "breath".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum