Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bullfrogspad-Ponds-fish-friends

Ponds, fish and friends

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pete made the bed

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pete made the bed Empty Pete made the bed Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:45 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Well actually, we knew that my son was going to buy a matress set and he didn't have a bed. So Pete went out and bought some 2'x 6's and other stuff and started cutting and measuring. Kelly came over and we were digging through odds and ends of leftover wood and found this walnut coffee table top that had been made by his dad when he was at Western Michigan University about 44 years ago. We took one look at it and grabbed the tape measure and PHEW it looked like we could work it into the design. It worked. After it was all cut etc, we bought stain and Kelly began applying it. He hollared for me to look. I almost gasped because it was wayyy too red/rusty color. So I showed him to wipe it down with paint thinner and try another stain over it. That time he used a dark color and whooey----the red still showed through a tiny bit but it mostly took up the dark brown so in the end, it perfectly matched the walnut. Pete made the bed Kellysbed

2Pete made the bed Empty Re: Pete made the bed Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:20 pm

fishlipsmcgee

fishlipsmcgee
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Just BEAUTIFUL Esther. I love it!

3Pete made the bed Empty Re: Pete made the bed Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:26 am

rosebud

rosebud
Jabberjaws
Jabberjaws

Great job, Esther! I'll bet your son is so proud to have a bed that his Dad made! It's just beautiful!

4Pete made the bed Empty Re: Pete made the bed Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:30 am

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Actually, Pete is Kelly's stepdad from age 5 and on. They never really connected very well but I have to give Pete credit. He keeps trying. The coffee table top I mentioned was made by his dad so I think it is kinda cool for Kelly. He has no contact with his dad for about 5-6 years. Sad for my boys.

If you promise not to tell Pete's daughter Cindi, our next project may be a headboard for her and her husband. After she saw the picture of Kelly's, she said she was jealous because she only has a metal frame and never had a headboard. Cindi's birthday is in June and their anniversary is in April so we have plenty of time to make it.

5Pete made the bed Empty Re: Pete made the bed Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:46 pm

Esther

Chatterbox
Chatterbox

When I first mentioned to Kelly about building a bed, he was thinking it was going to be a kind of raw plywood slammed together thing. Pete doesn't do things like that, even though he is not a carpenter, let alone a finish carpenter. I think he could be if he tried though because he wants things done "right". So when we found the walnut coffee table top and Pete decided he could use it, Kelly really got excited to have a nice bed for the first time since he moved away from home. He did have a water bed but wasn't allowed to use it with water so he filled the mattress with air. LOL. I don't know what happened to the bed. It was just a twin anyway. This one is a full size. He just spent $400 for a mattress set and that is a lot of money for him to put out for something that doesn't have anything to do with his housing, car or computer. LOL. So I told him this will be a piece of furniture he can keep all his life. I should have had Pete autograph it and put a date on it.

The next little project will be to take the wide shelf that used to rest partly on top of my old old old computer monitor and then the back of the shelf was held up by a tacky couple of pieces of 2 x 4 and a board that I threw together. My cat liked to sleep up there because I think it was warm above the computer. Pete made the bed Mittenspad

Kelly had bought a new thin flatscreen computer monitor and I bought his old one and tossed my old one so now I have to configure something to hold the shelf seeing he said not to rest the shelf on the new one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum